Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Earls and Hughley update

Earls and Hughley update

Shomari signed with the Dolphins and Willie signed with the Browns.

Earls has been in constant contact with the Fins before and immediately after the draft. He had a good workout for them and Saban liked him. Hopefully that's a good sign. But we all know that when it comes to FA signings it's a numbers game. Worst case, maybe he'll end up in NFL Europe with Swain and Allen.

Willie have a chance to improve his stock in Cleveland. It's a start anyway.

Only two players huh?

Good luck to both of them.
Back to the top

Earls and Hughley update

It was a small graduating class this year wasn't it? I don't think anyone expected more than Earls and Hughley to be picked up by the pros this year. At least I didn't.

FAU - THE REAL SLEEPING GIANT
Back to the top

Earls and Hughley update

You are right. Most people only expected these two guys to get a look.

At least now FAU's chances has improved for one to make it. Joining Jared, Quentin and Chris on someone's roster.
Back to the top

Earls and Hughley update

I almost forgot, how about Embick? His injury wasn't severe enough to keep him out of the pros. What happened to him?

FAU - THE REAL SLEEPING GIANT
Back to the top

Earls and Hughley update

The last I heard was he was taking a shot with a Canadian team too. Even considered defense. I haven't heard anything lately.
Back to the top

Earls and Hughley update

Earls may just get his shot - The Dolphins have gotten older on Defense and I sense that Saban is looking at maybe getting younger and rebuilding the Defense and may trade some of the current players to fill some holes. Just exactly where he fits in I don't know, but I do believe that he has a foot in the door at the right time - even if it mean NFLE for a year or two.

Good luck to both of them!!

Go Owls!!
Back to the top

Earls and Hughley update

Actually, I hear that Shomari signed with the Giants, not the Dolphins. I know the Fins were interested in Shomari as a free agent but I guess never pulled the trigger. I guess once they signed ILB Sam McGrew from FSU, they didn't have a need for another. Regardless, the Giants definitely got a football player in Shomari.

As far as Willie is concerned, the Browns were contemplating drafting him in the late rounds on Sunday. He received calls from the Browns but they decided to draft S Justin Hamilton from VTech instead. Willie also had an offer from the Jets on Monday but he had already signed with the Browns. He's on a plane to Cleveland today so he will be participating in their camp this weekend.

Both of these teams got a great bargain. Soon, they won't have the same luxury as the FAU guys will be drafted, not signed as free agents after the fact.

Glad to see that Jared Allen and Quentin Swain are representing us well in the NFL Europe. Jared's allocation by the Bucs was a welcome transaction I'm sure. Even more impressive is the fact that Quentin was not allocated by a team but was drafted. He took the most difficult route to NFLE, a tribute to the hard work put in by him and his agent. Hopefully it will translate into an NFL roster spot.
Back to the top

Earls and Hughley update

Thanks for the update owlsinsider. Great up to the minute info as usual. :) The Fins were pretty high on him. McGrew is not a bad choice for them either.

The Giants may be a good fit. He will learn from the best. Good defensive ends to work with. LB Lavar Arrington is now with them too.

Plus that's my TEAM!!!!
Back to the top

Earls and Hughley update

Here's what the Cleveland Browns website says about Willie Hughley (in a story with a paragraph about each of the Browns' free-agent signings):

Willie Hughley (DB, 5-11, 170, Florida Atlantic): A star cornerback at FAU, Hughley finished his highly productive collegiate career with 212 tackles and 38 pass breakups in 48 games. He also finished his career as the school's career leader in interceptions (15), single-season interceptions (6), and ranked fourth in tackles (212).

Back to the top
Control functions: