Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Another hoops signing

Add topic

Alarcon joins FAU as Walters' first recruit
Palm Beach Post Staff and Wire Services

Tuesday, May 16, 2006

New Florida Atlantic basketball coach Rex Walters landed his first recruit by signing 6-foot-3 guard Sean Alarcon from Indian River Community College.

Alarcon, who played his freshman season at Armstrong Atlantic State in Georgia and will be a junior in the fall, won the Pioneers' coaches' award this season and led IRCC to an appearance in the state tournament.

Alarcon, who led Olympic Heights to the Class 6A state semifinals as a senior in 2004 when he was a Post All-Area first-team selection, was the top three-point shooter at the state tournament, making 8 of 12 shots.

? Marcus Nelson

Anyone know anything more about him? stats?
Back to the top

Another hoops signing

I thought all that were going to be signed were signed for next season. This is # 6 isn't it?

I really thought they would bring in a big guy unless our tuba player is going to work out.

FAU - THE REAL SLEEPING GIANT
Back to the top

Another hoops signing

Another hoops signing

A big guy? At FAU? Best joke I've heard all day!
Back to the top

Another hoops signing

GhostOfBuchanan said

A big guy? At FAU? Best joke I've heard all day!

Looks like you're Mr Negativity! I thought we all agreed this program is on the upswing. If Angelos didn't think Walters could take it to the next level, he would have brought in someone else that can bring in good players and that includes 6-10/6-11 centers.

Back to the top

Another hoops signing

That's #7 if you include Holley who signed w/ Football.
Let me know if I've made any mistakes, but by my count this is the team we have going into this season:

Seniors:
David Anderson, 6-6, 210, Guard
Brent Crews, 6-3, 210, Guard
Kevin Green, 5-11, 180, Guard
DeAndre Rice, 6-3, 200, Guard

Juniors:
Ty McTyer, 6-0, 185, Guard
Derrick Simmons, 6-6, 200, Forward
Seydou Kone, 6-8, 230, Forward
Tavarus Harris, 5-10, 170, Guard
Jeff Parmer, 6-8, 220, Forward
Sean Alarcon, 6-3, ?, Guard

Sophomores:
Paul Graham III, 6-4, 185, Guard
Carlos Monroe, 6-8, 245, Forward

Freshmen:
David Manning, 6-2, 185, Guard (reshirted last year)
Xavier Perkins, 6-5, 220, Forward
Sanchez Hughley, 6-4, 200, Guard
Avery Holley, 6-0, 150, Guard
Back to the top

Another hoops signing

Are 2 people not on scholarship? There are 13 scholarships, correct? Holley is on a football scholarship.

Back to the top

Another hoops signing

I've been a fan since the mid-90s, and I haven't seen one half-decent big man come through here yet. When I do, then I will be pleasantly surprised! Until then, "big man at FAU" will continue to be a joke.
Back to the top

Another hoops signing

Rex,

I hope you read this board. ;)

Back to the top

Another hoops signing

Ty McTyer is transfering. Holley is on football. Not sure about the last one.
Back to the top

Another hoops signing

Here is FAU's official release on Alarcon…

BOCA RATON – Florida Atlantic University head men's basketball coach Rex Walters has announced that Sean Alarcon has joined the Owls' recruiting class for 2006-07.

"We are thrilled to announce that Sean Alarcon has signed a letter of intent to be part of our FAU basketball family," stated Walters. "Sean exemplifies all that I expect in our student-athletes. His ability to be successful on the court and in the classroom, as well as his character and leadership skills, makes him a perfect fit for our program."

Alarcon, a 6-3, 185-pound guard from Indian River Community College, averaged 16.1 points and shot 42% from three-point range to earn Second Team All-Southern Conference honors. IRCC went 24-7 in 2005-06 and reached the state semifinals.

Alarcon, the first signee since Walters became head coach, is a Boca Raton native and 2004 graduate of Olympic Heights High School, where he was named to the 6-A Second Team All-State and First Team All-County. He averaged 20 points, five rebounds and five assists and set the Palm Beach County record for three-pointers made with 133.

Alarcon is the fifth prospect from South Florida and sixth overall to sign for the fall. He joins Xavier Perkins, a 6-5, 220-pound forward from Saint Andrew's School in Boca Raton; Tavarus Harris, a 5-10, 170-pound guard from Palm Beach Community College; Jeff Parmer, a 6-8, 220-pound forward from Palm Beach Community College; Sanchez Hughley, a 6-4 200-point guard from Lyman High School in Orlando; and Seydou Kone, a 6-8, 230-pound forward from Broward Community College.

President of the No Homers Club. Keepin' it real since 2001.
Back to the top
Control functions: