Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Another research institute looking at PB County...

Add topic

….and FAU.

(my blog)

I know most of you guys are only interested in football and other sports on this board but this stuff really is good. For those of you who live outside of Florida and have to experience FA-Who? and put up with people questioning just how good can a college be that no one has heard of. I already have my education and I busted my @$$ to get it. What I am looking for is some progress by FAU to gain some recognition. Its things like this and Scripps thats will help to promote the school academically. The football team and other sports will spread the name around. We want a great academic school. FAU may turn into a top reseach school. This will probably lead to a full med school without costing the state $250,000,000.00

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/politics/content/local_news/epaper/2006/06/09/m1a_TORREY_0609.html

FAU - THE REAL SLEEPING GIANT
Back to the top

The Palm Beach County area is a hotbed right now for growth. The Scripps deal probably opened the eyes of future developers and big business deals about the area.

FAU is sitting real pretty right now as far as growth potential. It's only a matter of time before a full explosion. Plus Prez Frank Brogan's name is still VERY well respected among Tallahassee who's who in business matters.

Get it done while it's/he's hot.. 8-)
Back to the top

If this keeps going FAU could very well end up as one of the premier research universities in the country. What is the word on the two med facilities from Mass.
Back to the top

Yes, growth can be good. Bigger doesn't mean better. This is my wish. I would like to see FAU really strengthen up every program and college in the university to a top tier level and rise up out of tier IV, where it is now.

These biomedical groups will bring in a lot of research money. Instead of spreading it out thinner and thinner, improve what they have. Although FAU does already have some top programs now like engineering, particularly Ocean Engineering and the accounting program just to name a few.

If FAU NEVER gets a law school that will be 100% agreeable, ok, no argument, perfectly understandable with me!!!!! I don't think there is any shortage of lawyers in this country and as much money is in South Florida, no shortage there either. I don't mean to offend anyone but I lived in a wealthy area in GA for a few years and one of the highest concentrations of lawyers per capita in the country. There was always a feeding frenzy for the money. To me a law school is no big deal. Some states don't require graduating from an accredited law school to sit for the bar exam such as GA (I've been gone for 5 years, that may have changed).

Back to the top

I agree Illi, FAU is on the right track and the strength of academics will continue to get better. over the next few years as the past few, I believe you will see big changes at FAU.
Back to the top

Another Story. Abrams mentions the teaching hospital. This is exciting news. :)

Bio-Tech Company Takes Interest In Boca Raton

POSTED: 6:11 pm EDT June 9, 2006
UPDATED: 6:22 pm EDT June 9, 2006

Email This Story | Print This Story

WEST PALM BEACH, Fla. – California-based Torrey Pines Institute for molecular studies is considering expanding to Boca Raton.

Mayor Steve Abrams says interest in the city is a direct result of the Scripps Research Institute coming to Palm Beach County.

Said Abrams, "We don't know where this is going to lead, but it is exciting to be of interest to one of these research institutes."

Abrams said the new teaching hospital and the FAU campus will likely increase bio-medical companies interest in Boca Raton.

Back to the top

Another Calif. research institute eyes Palm Beach County

By Deana Poole
Palm Beach Post Staff Writer

Friday, June 09, 2006

WEST PALM BEACH ? An internationally recognized biomedical research institute is considering expanding its California operations to Palm Beach County ? and eyeing Boca Raton.

Officials from the Torrey Pines Institute for Molecular Studies, a nonprofit based in San Diego, made a return trip here this week and visited with county commissioners and Florida Atlantic University President Frank Brogan.

Although the discussions are preliminary, many say the cross-country interest is an indication of the businesses and organizations that The Scripps Research Institute's presence can ? and will ? attract.

"This is what I really believe is the manifestation of what we have all been talking about for two years… that our area is destined to become a hub for biomedical research," said Brogan, who met with institute officials Wednesday.

Institute officials couldn't be reached for comment Thursday, but its president, vice president and chief operating officer signed a visitors' log when meeting with County Commission Chairman Tony Masilotti Thursday morning at the Governmental Center.

Founded in 1998 by Richard A. Houghten, the Torrey Pines Institute for Molecular Studies first focused on chemistry but has since expanded its efforts to include discovering causes, treatments and cures for a variety of diseases and afflictions, including heart disease, cancer, AIDS, diabetes, multiple sclerosis, Alzheimer's and pain management.

Houghten initially considered expanding his institute to Texas, Scripps President Richard Lerner said.

"I said why would you want to do that? I told him to at least come down to Florida and take a look around," Lerner said.

Lerner hired Houghten to work on organic chemistry at Scripps in the early 1980s. After making major strides in his peptide research, Houghten decided to found his own institute, Lerner said.

"We wanted to keep him but he wanted to spread his wings," Lerner said.

Houghten's operation started with eight employees and has since grown to more than 75 scientists, technicians and administrative staff, according to its Web site. Scripps, the world's largest private nonprofit biomedical research facility, has a staff of about 2,800.

Like Scripps, Torrey Pines Institute's research is supported by grants, and any expansion would likely require a financial incentive package. The state and county committed more than $500 million to lure California-based Scripps.

Deputy County Administrator Verdenia Baker, while declining to disclose the institute's identity, said commissioners have made it clear that any financial gifts to bioscience companies would be much smaller than what was committed to Scripps.

"We have not made any determination if this is a company we're going to give incentives to come here," she said. "But the fact that we're entertaining prospects bows to the fact that Scripps was the magnet to kick-start the bioscience cluster."

Boca Raton Mayor Steven Abrams, who recently visited the Torrey Pines Institute's base in California, said the institute is looking for 10 acres, which would easily be found among the 100 acres once proposed as Scripps' home in Boca. The city also could provide temporary space, as the institute would "love to be here by the end of summer," he said.

"They spin off a lot of business," he said. "Part of their philosophy is when they make a discovery to spin that off, and that's what the economic value would be to our community.

"First, having them is a feather in Boca's cap. But beyond that, as a small organization, they've already spun off 10 businesses. There's two, for example, that are pending. Those two would be spun off in south county.

"I don't know where this is going to lead," Abrams said. "I don't want to put the cart before the horse. But the fact that a company this prestigious is interested in Boca is exciting and bodes well for the future."

The governor's office said it couldn't comment on the prospect or any involvement at the state level.

Gov. Jeb Bush recently signed a bill that sets aside $200 million for the state to spend on "once-in-a-lifetime opportunities" and another $45 million for a closing fund to be used as a cash incentive for companies considering a move to Florida.

Scott Openshaw, a spokesman for Bush, said with the building momentum in the life sciences and biotech industry, there will never be enough money to accommodate everyone.

"There is momentum there; a lot of it comes from landing Scripps," he said. "But landing Scripps came from… the governor and the legislature stepping up to the plate and committing to that sector as a target for our state."

Palm Beach County Commissioner Jeff Koons said that when he met with institute officials Wednesday, they saw a "window of opportunity" to take advantage of the state money.

Institute officials "think there's a lot of people that they are courting that would want to come down here, too," Koons said. "There's a window of state funding, just a window of opportunity now. That was the pitch.

"We're still seeding this bioscience cluster. I think it's intriguing that people are knocking on our door now."

County Commissioner Addie Greene, who originally voted against spending money to bring Scripps here, said the county should put a certain amount of money aside for biotech companies, and once the money runs out, "that's it."

Greene said she wanted more information on the institute beyond what she learned during the meeting, which she said included Abrams.

"I don't mind them going to Boca," she said. "I welcome them coming to Boca. But we cannot become a corporate welfare county."

Torrey Pines Institute for Molecular Studies is located on the General Atomics campus in the heart of San Diego's biotechnology industry, near The Scripps Research Institute, the Salk Institute for Biological Studies and the University of California San Diego.

Brogan said both FAU and the institute expressed interest in a partnership similar to what the school has with Scripps.

"We talked about sharing equipment and sharing faculty and the possibility of them providing graduate-level opportunities for our students and undergraduate opportunities," Brogan said.

Back to the top

lawyers are often great donors back to their university…FAU's alumni support is pathetic…why do you think FIU's fund raisers are so excited about having a law school and now a med school? $$$
Back to the top

I've been reading the So Florida news. Brogan is trying to land Burhnam Institute in Ft Pierce and Torrey Pines in Boca Raton. Burhnam would be temporarily housed at the new Harbor Branch facility and PBC and City of Boca have approved money and 10 acres of land worth $11 mil for Torrey Pines. Scripps is now at home on the Jupiter campus.

Man, What is going on down there???!!! Is Brogan trying to turn FAU into a huge research giant. I wish I were still living down there to see it all take place. Unbelievable! :o

BTW, what ever the naysayers down there say about intercollegiate sports, tell them to shut up. I ask people up here if they ever heard of FAU. MORE TIMES THAN NOT I HEAR YES. I ask them how they came to hear about FAU and most say ESPN, Sports Illustrated, their college played against FAU in some sport. FA-who is a thing of the past. Its now "You went to college there, cool, what in the hell are you doing living up here".

Back to the top

Burnham selected Orlando today....
Back to the top
Control functions: