Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Teaching hospital is approved!!!!!

Add topic

FAU is getting a teaching hospital on the Boca Raton campus!!! :) ;) ;D 8-)

This is fantastic news!

FAU board OKs new teaching hospital on campus
By Kimberly Miller

Palm Beach Post Staff Writer

Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Florida Atlantic University trustee members unanimously approved a plan today that will allow Boca Raton Community Hospital to build a new teaching hospital on 38 acres of the school's main campus.

The plan, which leases the land to the hospital for $21.2 million over a 10-year period, must still be approved by the full board later this month and the Governor's Cabinet in the fall.

Hospital representatives said the tentative agreement that creates a partnership with the hospital and FAU's new 4-year medical program is as important to Florida as the Scripps Research Institute.

FAU President Frank Brogan called the proposal, "the most significant decision the university has been involved in since its inception."

"I want to extol the importance of what we are doing today," Brogan said. "This is a major decision and a major point marking the future of the university."

Some trustees were concerned about a clause in the agreement that gives the hospital an option to buy the 38 acres after the new facility is built and the full $21.2 million is paid.

The sale would have to be approved by the State Cabinet, but the university, according to the contract, could not dispute the hospital's purchase and trustees asked what would happen if the hospital tried to get out of the agreement with FAU.

Trustee Norman Tripp said the sale option doesn't bother him because the parties would be so intertwined in partnerships, group projects, classes and research that a dissolution of the agreement would be nearly impossible.

"It would be one hell of a divorce and the reality is it wouldn't happen," Tripp said.

Paul Risner, general counsel for the hospital, said it was important to the hospital to have the ability to purchase the property.

"This hospital has always been independent, we are community owned, we are not-for-profit and we feel we need the ability to remain independent in the future," Risner said.

The new 550-bed hospital is expected to cost between $600,000 and $700,000 and will be paid for partly with contributions and bonds. Construction could start as early as 2008 and end by 2011.

No plans have been made for what to do with the current hospital.

"It still has to be a hospital for 5 years and there is no hurry to decide what to do with that property," Risner said.

FAU - THE REAL SLEEPING GIANT
Back to the top

This is good news except for more traffic on campus and could move us even further from a traditional campus. Have we been approved for a full 4 year medical school or are we just the first two years in partnership with Miami?
Back to the top

Not sure how this would move the Boca campus from being more traditional.

Back to the top

Good news like this and your concern is traffic? Maybe it will hurry the FAU exit from 95...
Back to the top

traditional campuses don't have airports, water treatment plants, outdoor shopping malls (football stadium plan) and all the other commercial endeavors that FAU has…they have fraternity/sorority houses and better recreational facilities for students….also have you tried to get a parking spot on campus lately?

I will state this definitively: If President Brogan says this is huge for the school I believe him because I believe IN him.
Back to the top

Frat/sorority houses are on the building plan. look at the 2006-2013 strategic plan on the web site. the airport is left over from the army airbase that was once there. Its kind of a convenience for students that want to take flying lessons as some did while I was there. There is a wellness center going up for students. The board did approve moving the Boca campus in the direction of a "traditional" campus. All of this can't be done overnight, but it is happening.
The hospital will attract what I would consider more traditional type students and add quite a bit of pride to the student body (I hope). Alot of commuter students (not all) just don't give a s@#t though. they want to get through with their class schedule and graduate. not concerned about much else.

As far as the utility stuff, I do wish those would go away.

Back to the top

I agree with much of what you wrote Illinois Owl however there was a time when the airport had Cessna's and the like, not jets and their foul exhaust and deafening roars…I feel for the football players who have to huff fumes while practicing in this heat with full gear….

also great news about the frat houses…word on the street is that our student residents are bored!!
Back to the top

I mean Wise Owl...not Illinois Owl
Back to the top

The airport was never a bother even when we played Baseball on the field next to the Oxley center. The jets that land there now are much quieter than those back in the early 80's. The only good thing about the water treatment plant is the Christmas Light show and the ability to overpower the jet A exhaust smell…lol The Frat houses were all the talk when I finished in 87. I don't know how high they are on the to do list.
Back to the top

[also great news about the frat houses…word on the street is that our student residents are bored!!

That is definitley a sign of the times. Not to pull rank on you, but, some of the older members of this board can attest that many years ago there was even less to do on campus but no one was ever bored. Those that surfed did that. Half the student residents could scuba dive or snorkle. There was the beach. We played sports. Some people fished. The biggest thing by far was, when I was there, the legal drinking age was 18 and Ft Lauderdale was still the spring break meca except we had it 365. There was a live band in the Rat every Thursday night. So we had much more of a night life then kids do now. We had huge parties on campus. We made the refreshments in garbage cans. Anyone know what I'm talking about?
I never heard anyone on campus complain they were bored.

One question though, with IBM gone, what is the airport doing now? Is there any talk of moving it west, out of the populated area its in now?

Back to the top
Control functions: