Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

De Murray TE

I heard that he is around 225 now and still putting on weight! They say he can catch the ball and he has good coordination. Built in the same mold as Dangston. Don't know about his speed. He sat out last year per transfer rules.

He may be FAU's best kept secret when they hit the field.
Back to the top

De Murray TE

OG, I included this guy on another thread along with all the other transfers that sat out 2005.

Some or most of the transfers that sat out last year will make quite a difference this year and like I said in the other thread, no one knows they are on the roster, so there will be some suprises on game day.

FAU - THE REAL SLEEPING GIANT
Back to the top

De Murray TE

OG,

I found this old article. You might not belive this. :o

Transfer fills in for injured tight end

By Marcus Nelson

Palm Beach Post Staff Writer

Tuesday, August 23, 2005

BOCA RATON ? With starting tight end Dantson Dareus out with a sore knee until at least Wednesday, Florida Atlantic has been looking for other players to help at the position.

The Owls think they might have found a tight end who can contribute immediately in junior Demetrious Murray, a transfer from Garden City (Kan.) Community College.

Murray is improving as he learns the Owls' offensive system.

"The practices move kind of quick," said Murray, who reported to FAU a few days after training camp started. "I've learned a lot faster by getting in the practices instead of just watching. They are moving me along pretty fast."

At 6-feet-2, 210-pounds, Murray makes a good target for FAU quarterbacks in an offense that utilizes the tight end position extensively.

"He's a mature kid," Owls coach Howard Schnellenberger said. "He's lifted a lot of weights, is strong and fits right in with our offense."

Murray, who has clocked a 4.4-second 40-yard dash, played receiver at Miami-Carol City High before going to Garden City, where he practiced but didn't play, and was planning to play at Kansas State before deciding to transfer to FAU.

"I heard FAU was looking at me, so I just decided to come home, because I was hearing about this program on the rise," Murray said. "There's nothing like being home."

Steel will: With so many players injured, the Owls have been busy implementing ways for players who don't practice to stay busy.

Monday's workout introduced a different line of exercise equipment ? beer kegs.

Several players who were held out of practice spent their afternoon hoisting two empty kegs on the Oxley Practice Fields.

"They (will) get well faster that way or they might end up on a beer truck," Schnellenberger said.

Noteworthy: Several players missed practice or were late Monday because it was the first day of classes. Monday is the team's usual rest day and many players have scheduled extra classes that day.

Whats the real story on this guy. I just found this in another article:

Noteworthy: Junior tight end Demetrious Murray, who had impressed coaches with his pass-catching ability, has a torn anterior cruciate ligament and will be out for the season. Murray, a junior college transfer, had moved up the depth chart after reporting to camp a few days late.

He transfered as a junior so he finished jc. Why would he have to sit out after finishing at a jc as per his bio on the FAU site?

Back to the top

De Murray TE

I'm pretty sure he is playing this season! Like I said before We have had some kids grow up fasty last year and some kids sitting on the side waiting for transfer period to end combined with not loosing your whole squad to graduation, could make things very interesting.
Back to the top

De Murray TE

He is playing this year. Sorry I forgot to date the last couple of comments. The paragraph about his injury was in a story from 8/2005. He sat out the 2005 season. One story says injury and the bio says transfer rules.

Back to the top

De Murray TE

Yes, he will be playing this season. Taller and bigger than what's in the article too.
Back to the top

De Murray TE

Lets hope he doesn't have the same hands as Dareus!
Back to the top

De Murray TE

Was he injured? Is he going to be healthy for the upcoming season?

His 40 time is posted above in a sun sentinel article, 4.4. that was before he was injured, if he was injured.

Another transfer I am curious about is LB Frantz Joseph. Recruited by Boston College. I looked at some old articles. His leaving was worth mentioning to the press after his freshman year even though he didn't play. He is listed at 6-3 235. That might have changed. I read a couple of mentions of him in spring practice.

Boston College, now there is a program that can practically thank one person for bringing their name to national attention. Doug Flutie. UM fans love him.

Back to the top

De Murray TE

De Murray TE

Frantz Joseph struggled a bit during spring - whether it was playing time or adjusting to the defensive schemes we utilize, I don't know. He does have good size and speed however and could develop into a very good player for us, giving us some nice depth which would be a very nice addition to have.
Back to the top

De Murray TE

Dareus was a major disappointment, someone full of potential, yet he was his own worse emeny :(

Murray could be a solid players for us and some others that have transfered - the question that remains is who will step-up and become playmakers, nobody has yet to seperate themselves in key positions. Those players will have to make it clear during fall practices. Simeon has yet to show us his true potential.

Hopefully things will fall into place once either Clayton or Smith establish themselves as the starter.
Back to the top
Control functions: