Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Angelos interviews with Iowa...Did I miss it here?

FAU's Angelos interviews for Iowa AD position
By Marcus Nelson

Palm Beach Post Staff Writer

Friday, June 23, 2006

Florida Atlantic Athletic Director Craig Angelos interviewed for the same position with the University of Iowa last week, an athletic department source said.

Angelos wouldn't comment on the Iowa situation, but the source said Angelos met with Hawkeyes officials last week in Dallas after being contacted by a firm hired by Iowa to help with the search.

Iowa is looking for a replacement for Bob Bowlsby, who will become the AD at Stanford in July.

Other candidates who reportedly have been interviewed include Wyoming AD Gary Barta.

Iowa reportedly is down to five finalists and Angelos is not believed to be one of them.

Angelos has been at FAU for three years and was instrumental in the Owls moving to Division I-A in football and moving all its programs from the Atlantic Sun Conference to the Sun Belt Conference.

In 2005, Angelos was a finalist for the AD job at BYU, his alma mater
Back to the top

It was posted in the Sports & News forum.

President of the No Homers Club. Keepin' it real since 2001.
Back to the top

If these people are constantly shopping their goods elsewhere, then why does FAU keep them on?

The double standard between the faculty and athletic department just keeps raising its head.
Back to the top

BMarkey said

If these people are constantly shopping their goods elsewhere, then why does FAU keep them on?

The double standard between the faculty and athletic department just keeps raising its head.
I don't follow…what double standard are you referring to?
Back to the top

The firing of the band Director... And I have to say bmarkey has a point.
Back to the top

This is the second interview Angelos has been on in about a year. The first being BYU, his alma mater. That is understandable especially since I think Angelos is morman. This is Iowa. Angelos is not one of the finalists. Why is he continuing to accept offers to interview?

FAU - THE REAL SLEEPING GIANT
Back to the top

illinoisowl said

This is the second interview Angelos has been on in about a year. The first being BYU, his alma mater. That is understandable especially since I think Angelos is morman. This is Iowa. Angelos is not one of the finalists. Why is he continuing to accept offers to interview?
because the lack of support for the building of facilities which has been in the public's eye lately will make FAU struggle to make ends meet in the Sun Belt (much more travel, no increased revenue) nor will it enable FAU to move on to a larger conference like he is applying to….plus these jobs pay more $$ and are a lateral move up for his career…finally, is he accepting offers to interview or actively seeking a change? after the way he got shot down (without a lick of support) at the dome meeting don't be surprised if it's the latter
Back to the top

illinoisowl said

It sounds as if Angelos chose to interview with Iowa for the sake of possibly becoming the AD at a school in a major conference–something he could not have done at BYU. Iowa could probably afford to deliver Angelos a salary that is more than BYU or FAU could dish out combined.

If Angelos is offered the Iowa job, you would have to think he'd take it, BUT if he doesn't KNOWING he'd be turning down an exponentially larger paycheck working for a school in a much more established conference, then you guys will know that he is there for Florida Atlantic and it's unlikely he'll leave anytime soon. You don't find loyalty like that just anywhere.
Back to the top

Anything new on this?
Back to the top
Control functions: