Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Find Another University

Add topic

Recently, a sizable debate has emerged on Wikipedia regarding this part of the article:

Some individuals claim that FAU stands for "find another university". This false university nickname is considered negative by university supporters.

Many have pointed out that this is not material that is appropriate in an encyclopedia and is supported by very weak evidence. Such nicknames are put in a separate nickname article, not on the University page. Still, a handful of users make sure it remains in the article.

Discussion: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Florida_Atlantic_University

Article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Florida_Atlantic_University

The good news is that the link to this message board has managed to stay on the page for a few weeks 8-).
Back to the top

Find Another University

Find Another University

I don't get this at all. ??? Who is editing that page? One of the links on "find another university" is a link to UCF vs Rice owls. Why is it linked to the FAU article?

Is this page written by non FAU students, faculty, employees, rival schools? What the hell is it? I don't get it.

Do current students feel that bad about FAU now that they include crap like that? Most of this article is good but parts of it suck.

I looked at the discussion page a month or so ago. the only thing on it was "no famous alumni?" all of it now is whether or not to include something negative about the university.

There seems to be some controversy with raising admissions standards. ??? why?

FAU - THE REAL SLEEPING GIANT
Back to the top

Find Another University

Many of the recent edits have been made by "KnightLago", "Interestingstuffadder", and unregistered users. Fortunately (or unfortunately?) anyone can edit the article, just be ready for such users to play tug-of-war reverting changes.

We're obviously biased towards FAU, but an encyclopedia is not the place for such controvertial opinions (for any school).
Back to the top

Find Another University

That doesn't make much sense to me. Just to compare, I looked at FIU's article. Very nice, comprehensive, positive, no bad publicity, no negative comments. Is FAU being picked on for some reason by certain people? Is there bad feeling about the university?

Back to the top

Find Another University

It has been mentioned in the pass and again by LM77, ANYONE can edit these pages, so you re-edit the articles and info and someone else can re-edit the edit that you may have made, thus an edit war exist and a bunch of wasted time. If you have a lot of time to keep the information intact and accurate then by all means have fun.

You just need to be careful on the source you get your info and this site, since it's not a controlled medium, does not appear to be a very useful source of info that I would really on myself. And this goes with just about anything else, just because it's out there doesn't make it factual.

You ask yourself why someone would do this or if they have bad feeling about FAU? Then ask yourself why do computer virus exist? Why do rivalries exist in college & in the Pros? Why do people do practical jokes? Ect, Ect…………..

Back to the top

Find Another University

Is any other college getting "picked on" or is FAU the only lucky one?

This web site (wikipedia) is used by high school students to research colleges.

Back to the top

Find Another University

illinoisowl said

I don't get this at all. ??? Who is editing that page?
has to be FIU Fanatic :D
Back to the top

Find Another University

I do see one username on the discussion page that appears on the FIU board, EVIL72 . Why is he/she posting opinions as to what should go on the FAU article? He/she wants to keep the negative comment. I guess his/her username says it all. >:(

Back to the top

Find Another University

has to be FIU Fanatic

;D……just kidding. Never gone there before, but now it got my interest.
Back to the top

Find Another University

I don't think it's a matter of being picked on.

While I attended FAU ('98 - '02) that phrase was very common on campus as MANY students used FAU as a launch pad to transfer to other state schools. Reason being, they did not have the grades or SAT/ACT to get admitted to UF, FSU etc. out of high school and as long as you have an AA, you can transfer to any state school without a problem. You may not get into the College (major program) that you want if your grades aren't up to their parameters.

So, for anyone who attended FAU during that time, they should be able to vouch for this "nickname."
Back to the top
Control functions: