Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

FAU Arena Renovation

Add topic

Here's some news about the new seats in the Arena. Can't wait to see what the finished product looks like. It is long overdue, the arena has looked like a high school for far too long.

Question from OwlsFan27
Mr. Angelos,

I have read that the arena is undergoing a renovation that would include new seating (i.e. chair backs). Is this the case?

The article I read this in was about the ABA team that will be using the arena. What are the benefits to the university when another team using the facility?

Response from Athletics Director Craig Angelos
It is true that we will have new chair back seating on the lower level on three sides of the court which will include the home sideline and the end zones. The other side will be our student seating. With regard to the ABA team, we talked extensively about it and decided to rent the facility to them this year to try it out. The tangible benefit is we receive the rental fee which was pretty good with little time with the gym being offline for set up. Meaning our basketball teams can practice in the afternoon and then the ABA team can use it at night. There may be some intangible benefits but we will see. Thanks for the question.
Best Wishes,
Craig

Back to the top

FAU Arena Renovation

Don't kid yourself….it will still look like a high school gym….just a private high school now! At least they're keeping the benches on the other side…it'll be like Lockhart now, because you know they're gonna charge more for the chairbacks, so everyone will be on the benches.
Back to the top

FAU Arena Renovation

GhostOfBuchanan said

Don't kid yourself….it will still look like a high school gym….just a private high school now! At least they're keeping the benches on the other side…it'll be like Lockhart now, because you know they're gonna charge more for the chairbacks, so everyone will be on the benches.

Well, a private school gym is still an upgrade. Still it is good to see that they are doing something.
Back to the top

FAU Arena Renovation

I agree at least it is something. A little here and little there as the program grows so will the Arena. Same should happen with football a stadium like Lockhart but on campus and as the program grows so do the facilities. 10 or 15 years from now build a Dome to carry both venues. ;)
Back to the top

FAU Arena Renovation

Doesn't anyone think that they wouldn't be spending any money on the arena if the dome was actually going to get built relatively soon or is it a small enough amount that it doesn't matter?

GO OWLS!
Back to the top

FAU Arena Renovation

Even if the amount is small last year instead of just fixing they did a few upgrades and now more upgrades - think about it.

Back to the top

FAU Arena Renovation

dusky256fc said

Doesn't anyone think that they wouldn't be spending any money on the arena if the dome was actually going to get built relatively soon or is it a small enough amount that it doesn't matter?

I thought of that as well. There is certainly the possibilty that the dome will not be built for many years if at all….but if it is built shortly, there is still value in having a useful smaller facility. Maybe the women's team makes it their permanent home if they don't want to use the dome for every basketball game. Or maybe it can house other events that won't draw the numbers needed to use the dome. Either way, for the short term, it is nice to see some improvement, no matter how small.
Back to the top

FAU Arena Renovation

Projected completion of the dome is 2008, fall maybe. That 2 years. They have to do something in the mean time to grow the programs and they have the ABA to play in the arena. They'll recoup some of the money spent on fees the Imperials have contracted to pay. I hope it isn't based on attendance.

FAU - THE REAL SLEEPING GIANT
Back to the top

FAU Arena Renovation

FAU Arena Renovation

If that Dome is built by 08 I'll buy you a case of beer you name the brand. ;D
Back to the top

FAU Arena Renovation

they will still be using the arena for volleyball and intrumerals i would imagine.

whatever they can do to increase recruits and attendance is a good thing.
Back to the top
Control functions: