Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

FAU.....We're In The Black!!!

Back to the top

Thats great news. They need to get the donations up alot more. Maybe if we can get a lots of players in the NFL with multi million $ contracts they will be big benefactors to the program.

FAU - THE REAL SLEEPING GIANT
Back to the top

there is nothing we can do about it now, but there was a big problem with the whole money issue. i dont know if anyone else knew this but to save money and not be in debt, the athletic department did not pay for any athletes summer classes or tuition. one week before summer B started they allowed only a select few to take classes and have them payed for. this was a big problem for the football team since they had to practice all summer long. the ones that couldnt afford to stay in boca all summer on their own never even showed up for workouts. there are soem kids that live at least three hours away or out of state and how were they supposed to stay at school for just work outs. everyone should know that boca is definately not the cheapest place to live. i think this was a bad call and i think it will show in the season to come.
Back to the top

do we have one of our "inside info" guys with more on this?

I hope it doesn't come back to haunt during the season.

Back to the top

Well, that is a pretty accurate statement. I don't think it will bite'm but it does mean that camp will be a whole lot tougher. The attitude is very good though from what I was told and players are looking forward to camp. Unfortunately or fortunately it may be a "Junction Boys" type camp.
Kind a like teasing a pit bull and then letting him go play nice the other dogs.
Back to the top

I also heard that the guys were pretty loose during the "break". The players who lived close enough to go home/apt actually took in some of the long distanced players.
The camaraderie is still there.

Boca is VERY expensive and students probably won't stay there too long after graduation. They'll probably will get more for their money somewhere else.
Back to the top

It's stunning to me that the students (unfortunately, many of whom could not care less about football) raised $8 million, while the staff and fund-rasing "pros" could only come up with $370,000.

Pathetic job by the school and those whose job it is to bring csash into this major university,.

>>The largest portion of the revenue - nearly $8 million - came through student athletic fees. FAU students paid the highest athletic fee in the state, $13.75 per credit hour. The increase of $2 per credit hour provided an additional $1 million. The athletic department raised $370,000 in donations compared with $208,000 the previous year.<<
Back to the top

BMarkey said

It's stunning to me that the students (unfortunately, many of whom could not care less about football) raised $8 million, while the staff and fund-rasing "pros" could only come up with $370,000.

Pathetic job by the school and those whose job it is to bring csash into this major university,.

>>The largest portion of the revenue - nearly $8 million - came through student athletic fees. FAU students paid the highest athletic fee in the state, $13.75 per credit hour. The increase of $2 per credit hour provided an additional $1 million. The athletic department raised $370,000 in donations compared with $208,000 the previous year.<<

I do have to agree with this. donations need to be a major part of the funding, not a minor part. Its only about 4%.

Back to the top

What was said about summer school is true. There was really a clamp down on paying expenses so the budget could be balanced.

I have three thoughts: 1) balancing the budget for the 1st time in department history is a feather in Angelo's cap that he will most likely use to move on. Balancing this upcoming year will be a lot more difficult due to Sun Belt travel costs.; 2) as I stated in a previous post, you can see the reality of why we play those super tough football games early in the season and that's because the dept. needs the guarantee money; and 3) if the BOT's don't approve the dome (which doesn't cost the athletic dept. any money) there is no funding for a temporary or outside stadium (Plan B). I guess money could be borrowed but that really puts fiscal integrity at risk.

These facts explain why it's been hard for me to be as optimistic as some of you on this board.
Back to the top

Starting the football program was a one time event. Like most budgets, you cut corners wherever you have to to make ends meet. Any deficit attributed to the football program has been addressed and rectified. Yeah, fund raising could and should have been better. That's an on-going issue at FAU anyway.

If the fundraising continues in this manner then I will be concerned.
Back to the top
Control functions: