Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

FAU Alumni/Owl Club to visit Tampa

Some of you may not see the significance of this but it is a major step in continuing full state visibility. FAU will be leaving the confines of the SE Coast/Palm Beach County and traveling 4 hours across state. The Tampa Bay area(including 5 surrounding counties) is in reality, USF and UCF's stomping ground. FAU will benefit from these types of off-season ventures.

I'll be there and hopefully they will shed some light on the upcoming season and long term goals.

E-Mail:

The Florida Atlantic University National Alumni Association (FAUNAA) and the FAU Owl Club

cordially invite you to a

Tampa Area Alumni Networking Event

Friday, July 28, 2006

5:30 - 7 p.m.

Champions Sports Bar
Marriott Waterside Hotel

700 South Florida Ave.

Tampa, FL 33602

Hors d'oeuvres and Cash Bar

Network with fellow FAU alumni, hear about the latest happenings at FAU
and meet FAU Head Football Coach Howard Schnellenberger

R.S.V.P. to Shelley Binegar at (561) 297-0408 or [email protected]

Back to the top

O.G...I agree, this is a big step forward. Moving out from the Palm Beach/Broward County area. I would guess there is a decent amount of FAU alumni in the Tampa are, I hope they get a strong showing.

GO OWLS!
Back to the top

There are. When we played USF in Tampa, there were a decent amount at the hospitality tent. Plus some "old HealthSouth money" was walking the stadium. That was before the skies opened up and the rains came. The UCF game showed a lot from Orlando area. That's an hour drive over to Tampa.

UF had I-275 & I-4 backed up when they came through. We're not ready for the UF,UM and FSU type of hotel conference room fill-up yet, but it's coming.. 8-)

It should be a good crowd if the notice went out last week.
Back to the top

According to the map on the FAU web site, there are about 1300 alumni living in the 3 county area, Hillsborough, Pinellas and Mantee.

About 48,000+ live in Palm Beach and Broward depending on when those stats were updated. Get these people to the games!

Hopefully the turn out will be good for Alumni Association.

ERROR: A link was posted here (url) but it appears to be a broken link.

http://www.fau.edu/academic/iea/factbk/alumc05.htm
if you see a list, scroll down for a map.

FAU - THE REAL SLEEPING GIANT
Back to the top

Now add two more counties to the mix. People are leaving Hillsborugh/Tampa for less congested Polk and Pasco area.

48000+ in FAU's immediate area!!!!!????? Give some tickets to the children and grand kids people! That will fill 1/4 of the stadium alone.
Back to the top

I will definitely be there Friday night ! I also encourage the FAU Alum in the Tampa area to write the Tampa Tribune and St. Pete Times asking them to cover FAU football. We have at least 10 players from the Tampa/St. Pete area - I am sure we have more college athletes than any other team in the state. We deserve equal coverage — especially with this # of readers/subscriptions. We need to get the word out !

[email protected] - St. Pete Times Sports
[email protected] - Tampa Tribune Sports
Back to the top

FAU Still Hitting the pavement!!

Read On:

FAUNAA EXTENDS REACH TO ALUMNI ACROSS THE COUNTRY

In an effort to reach out and engage FAU alumni throughout the country, the FAU National
Alumni Association is bringing together alumni in various locations. Alumni have recently
gathered together in Washington, D.C., Orlando, and Martin, Miami-Dade and Monroe counties
in Florida to meet FAU President Frank T. Brogan ?81 and learn about FAU?s latest news and
innovative partnerships. The next regional gathering will take place on August 3 for alumni
residing in St. Lucie and Okeechobee counties (see events calendar below for details). For
more information about upcoming events in your area, call 1-888-FAU-ALUM (328-2586).

Back to the top

Strong thunderstorms could have been a deterrent or whatever reason but it wasn't a lot of people at the Friday night gathering. The upside is that it was very informal and personal. They will continue to travel the area and get/keep alumni involved with FAU.

Here's what actually transpired in an official capacity the next day at the Sports Writers Meeting.

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/sports/colleges/florida_atlantic_university/15154840.htm

FAU: STADIUM UPDATE

Florida Atlantic coach Howard Schnellenberger spent more time discussing the Owls' future stadium than football Saturday.

Schnellenberger has been pushing for an on-campus stadium at FAU since he arrived in 2000. But last year, the school's board of trustees and president called off plans for a 40,000-seat domed stadium for football and basketball games with surrounding campus housing and retail stores.

Schnellenberger admitted Saturday there was ''an error in presentation'' with the original plan, but promises school officials will review a more thought-out plan in September, when he expects the Owls' stadium issues will be resolved once and for all.

There also could be an alternative plan to the originally proposed $120 million domed stadium. The other idea would be to build two stadiums – an open-air football stadium and a basketball arena for around $170 million, Schnellenberger said.

FAU's football team currently plays at Fort Lauderdale Lockhart Stadium, which is set to be demolished in the next two years.

As for the team's first opponent in a new stadium, Schnellenberger hopes it will be either Miami or FSU.

''I've been saving that [game] for one of those two teams,'' he said.

Back to the top

Most of you are aware that the Athletic department know of our existence. Sports coaches from a couple of the FAU teams have posted on here before. We may soon have one from football participate on occasions. There are some details or logistics which have to be worked out regarding their scheduling and time restraints. It's only in the discussion stages so I'll keep you posted on who or IF it can happen.

They do read this board.
Back to the top
Control functions: