Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Band Report!!!

Add topic

Any updates from the band 8-)

Happenings, changes (good and Bad), members etc
Back to the top

Band Report!!!

The band starts practicing the day before students move into the dorms. If you now anyone going to FAU or PBCC, who plays an instrument, tell them to contact the band now.

The band will have only a couple of days to prepare for FanFest, but it will be fine.

There has been no word on travel to any away games. Fans should contact the school and get it to allocate some of that $600k for going to South Carolina and send the band to at least one of the early season away games.

We were hoping for a much larger band this year, but the administration's poor decision to replace the director set the progress back. The new guy (from FSU) did not have much time for marketing, planning, etc. because he only arrived a month ago.

I'm still hoping for some improvement, even though last year saw a great beginning.

Back to the top

Band Report!!!

Hi all,

Hope everyone is having a great summer!

Well the band had its first meeting last Saturday for some of the returning members (basically the ones that lived in the area) and to try out for certain leadership. This meeting was the first time some people met the new director Dr. Murray. He is a very cool guy and is ready to make FAU into a top notch band program. As for #'s this year, we wont know for sure until the 1st practice August 16th. But as for now Dr. Murray has recieved a lot of interest from new and current students about joining (so lets keep our fingers crossed).

As I said before we have our 1st practice Wed, Aug 16th (the day before students move into the dorms). Marching band students are being allowed to move in on Wed because of practice schedule. We will be practicing Wed, Thur, Fri, and Sat morning, and then perform at FanFest on Saturday. We will be playing some new tunes as well as some old ones.

As of now we are not planning on traveling to any away games, nor have we ever been promised to travel. We were hoping to go to one of the OOC games this year but I guess with having a new band director that got pushed to the side. We will be performing a different show at each home game, and so far we have some fun ideas. The only show set in stone is our 2nd home game. That half-time game will be a Journey show, written by one of our Graduate students.

We will still be starting traditions and bringing lots of energy to our games! GO OWLS!!! As for anyone who wants to join you can be a FAU, PBCC, or BCC student to join.

Cant wait to see everyone at FanFest!

~Daphne

*If you want to try and talk the school into sending us to an away game please feel free to do so.

* Dr. Murray just graduated from FSU with his doctorate (not positive where else he went to school, could be FSU)

AEA
Back to the top

Band Report!!!

Band Report!!!

Thanks Daphne, sounds like it is kinda going from where it left off. FSU has a great program and if he brings that same spirit to FAU it should be pretty exciting. Good luck this year and we all look forward to hearing the band play on. Sorry, I could resist.

Once they get a little more solidified they should add the roster under the spirit menu in athletics. A lot of schools do that. Just a thought.
Back to the top

Band Report!!!

Journey??? SWEET!!
Back to the top

Band Report!!!

TeamBeer said

Journey??? SWEET!!

FYI,

My wife and I saw Journey in concert 3 weeks ago. They opened for Def Leppard. The concert was in St Louis.

FAU - THE REAL SLEEPING GIANT
Back to the top

Band Report!!!

Is it 1984?

GO OWLS!
Back to the top

Band Report!!!

Daphne..I saw where you said the new director is a cool guy. What are your thoughts on his decisions about the music selections? Will he be more "top 40ish" or the mainstream type?

Will Gnarls Barkley(Crazy) or Nelly Furtado & Timberland(Promiscuous) be on the agenda as opening day "get up and dance" music… ;D ;D ;D

Thanks for your input.. ;)
Back to the top

Band Report!!!

Man, that's a loaded question! :)

Back to the top

Band Report!!!

From what we discussed the music selection is going to a good mix for everyone (band, fans, young, old, we will have something for everyone). We were discussing possible shows for this year and maybe next. Some ideas were:

*Latin show
*Evolution of music (kinda like that evolution of dnace video that was on-line)
*EWF (Earth Wind and Fire)
*Chicago
*A top 40 show (this is a possibility for the 1st home game, like a mix of top 40, ie. Kelly Clarkson, Pussycat Dolls, Greenday, the Promiscuous song was mentioned, maybe even some rap)
*The Planets (kinda like a typical marching band 1/2 time show)

He knows and wants to play to the crowd, but will incorporate music that is challenging for us and will make music people happy as well. He is a very personable man and can take a joke. He is VERY excited about being here (the other candidate didnt really seem like he cared about the school), and despite his FSU ties he wants to make our school known, football and band.

I am looking forward to this year (despite having to change things). After wednesday I'll let you know anymore info we recieve and what our numbers are looking like.

GO OWLS!!!

~Daphne

*I forgot to add in the original post that the Troy game will be our "Band Day". We will be inviting high school bands to come and watch the game, and we will have a special half-time show that we will play along with the high schoolers on the field. This is a GREAT way to recruit, and of course fill seats to cheer and yell so we can beat Troy!!! Hehe….sorry Dad I just had to add that.

AEA
Back to the top
Control functions: