Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Weight Room Numbers...

Weight Room Numbers...

Does anyone have any idea about what kind of numbers are players put up in the weight room? I know other schools have interviews with strength coaches and they talk about how strong their players are...who is the strongest squatter/bench guy? I was wondering if anyone knew what kind of numbers our guys put up...or at least how we compare to other schools in the country....
Back to the top

Weight Room Numbers...

I was told yesterday we have 14 guys who can bench over 400 and only a few who can squat over 500….one of the strongest guys isn't the biggest…he's a tight end
Back to the top

Weight Room Numbers...

The 400 pound benchers is pretty good....however only a few guys that can squat over 500 is a little dissapointing... I mean yes I know that is a ton of weight but our o-line should be up maybe towards 550-600??
Back to the top

Weight Room Numbers...

Troy has weightlifting stats up for their freshman up on their board.
Back to the top

Weight Room Numbers...

primetime said

Troy has weightlifting stats up for their freshman up on their board.

Just for the heck of it I looked. There is a post that says Silcox had some of the best stats (before he left of course).

FAU - THE REAL SLEEPING GIANT
Back to the top

Weight Room Numbers...

It doesnt matter how strong or physically gifted you are if you cant stay on the team. I am curious about how his numbers compare to other freshmans numbers though.
Back to the top

Weight Room Numbers...

I'm looking to see some bigger linemen and linebackers when the updated roster comes out.

There were some complaints about Ted Hutton in the past. His articles have been fairly uplifting for a while.

BOCA RATON ? When preseason practice began three weeks ago, the praise bubbled up whenever Florida Atlantic players were asked about their offseason training.

"Coach Smith," they would say, and then describe the long hours in the weight room. "Coach Smith, he worked us hard."

How hard is evident in the numbers, which have improved dramatically under FAU's strength and conditioning coach Tony Smith.

Last August just one player could clean 300 pounds, and none could squat 550 or bench press 400.

This year 21 could clean at least 300, 11 could squat 550-plus and four could bench press 400 or more. "And a lot of guys are close," said Smith. "We have gotten a whole lot better."

"I think Tony Smith is the best thing to happen to FAU," said linebacker Frantz Joseph. "He has gotten everyone's numbers going up. FAU is growing in front of my eyes."

"I put on a lot of muscle weight. I gained 10 pounds and actually got faster," said 290-pound defensive lineman Jervonte Jackson. "More endurance and a lot more strength. Credit goes to coach Smith."

Linebacker Brad Gagne added 15 pounds of mostly muscle in the offseason and is now at 240.

"I just listened to what coach Smith said and did it," Gagne said. "He's been at big-time places and knows what we need to do to compete with them."

Smith pulled out Gagne's file. "He really pulled up his numbers. He increased his lean muscle mass and he cleaned 311, up from 265 last year, and his bench press when up 45 pounds and his squat 35. Those are good numbers," Smith said.

Smith, who was a graduate assistant at Clemson and spent five years as the senior strength and condition coach at Ole Miss before coming to FAU in May of 2005, said the players came into this offseason self-motivated.

After going 2-9 and getting pushed around by non-conference opponents like Minnesota and Louisville, the Owls knew they had to muscle up, especially since they faced an even tougher non-conference schedule this season, beginning with Saturday's season opener at No. 18 Clemson.

"The maturity level is better and they are buying into what we are doing," Smith said.

Smith, a former Army corporal, is built like a wrecking ball. Short and squat, with a shaved head, he runs the weight room the way you would expect from someone who was an Army officer before beginning his career as strength and conditioning coach.

But it seems the harder he pushes the players, the more they are drawn to him.

"Coach Smith made us all bigger, stronger and faster," said defensive lineman Randy Hunter. "Never a day off, but every day was worth it."

That is what has impressed head coach Howard Schnellenberger, who said for the first four years of its existence FAU's program lacked funds to lure someone like Smith.

Now that they have him, Schnell-enberger said they are reaping the benefits.

"He is a unique guy. A lot more gruffer and a lot less tolerant than I am," Schnellenberger said.

"Someone who demands as much and is as unrelenting as he is, there could be mutiny or subversion," Schnellenberger said. "But because he is so sincere and is there to help them all the time, he is liked. And maybe, not too long from now, he will be revered."

Ted Hutton can be reached at [email protected].

FAU - THE REAL SLEEPING GIANT
Back to the top
Control functions: