Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Summer practice Updates

Someone keep us posted now that practice has started up and the new freshman have reported. I, and I'm sure others, would like to hear how the new recruits look.

FAU - THE REAL SLEEPING GIANT
Back to the top

Summer practice Updates

By Ted Hutton
South Florida Sun-Sentinel
Posted August 8 2006

BOCA RATON – Sean Clayton came off the field Monday after Florida Atlantic's first practice optimistic about becoming the starting quarterback.

"If I don't do anything stupid and just makes plays, I feel good about my chances, and I hope the coaches do too," said the 6-foot-5, 225 pound Clayton, who was the backup last year.

LocalLinks

But coach Howard Schnellenberger said the race between Clayton and redshirt freshman Rusty Smith is dead even, and the winner won't be determined until the results of three scrimmages are in.

"Has to win the battle of the stats," Schnellenberger said about what it will take to win the job.

"Quarterback is our least experienced position. We have two very good prospects, so we'll be as good as they make us be," Schnellenberger said.

Clayton, a junior, has the edge in experience, having appeared in nine games last season. He completed 31 of 57 passes for 329 yards with one touchdown and three interceptions.

Clayton started the last two games of the season after Danny Embick broke his thumb.

The first was encouraging, as Clayton led the Owls to a 26-23 win over North Texas. Clayton was 13 of 22 for 151 yards in the game.

Clayton's next start was a disaster, as FIU embarrassed FAU 52-6.

Clayton was 10 for 20 with three interceptions, with each of those interceptions returned for a touchdown, as FIU tied an NCAA record by returning four interceptions for touchdowns.

Smith, 6-5, 212 pounds, traveled with the team last year and then spent the summer in Boca Raton so he could work out and practice.

"Now that I have an opportunity, it is extremely exciting. It is a dream come true for me," Smith said.

OFF THE ROSTER

Quincy Skinner, projected to be a starting cornerback after spring practices, has been kicked off the team for violating team rules.

"I am very upset about it," Schnellenberger said of losing the veteran who had played in 37 games and had 156 tackles and nine interceptions.

Sophomore Corey Small moves into Skinner's spot on the depth chart, with senior Rickey Bethel expected to be the other starting cornerback.

Also not on the roster after failing to become eligible were freshmen recruits Joe Dawson, an offensive lineman from Chaminade-Madonna; Markee Drummer, a linebacker from Cardinal Newman; Corddero Drummond, a running back from Palm Beach Lakes; and Rodney Jones, a running back from Dunnellon.

Back to the top

Summer practice Updates

All of these guys, especially Drummond, were definitely in the plans for the future. I hope they get the grades right and return to FAU.

Skinner just wasted an opportunity. He fought so long with Flash Gordon for the position and then let it go his senior year. ???
Back to the top

Summer practice Updates

OFF THE ROSTER

Quincy Skinner, projected to be a starting cornerback after spring practices, has been kicked off the team for violating team rules.

"I am very upset about it," Schnellenberger said of losing the veteran who had played in 37 games and had 156 tackles and nine interceptions.

Sophomore Corey Small moves into Skinner's spot on the depth chart, with senior Rickey Bethel expected to be the other starting cornerback.

Also not on the roster after failing to become eligible were freshmen recruits Joe Dawson, an offensive lineman from Chaminade-Madonna; Markee Drummer, a linebacker from Cardinal Newman; Corddero Drummond, a running back from Palm Beach Lakes; and Rodney Jones, a running back from Dunnellon.

This is NOT good. :'(

These new recruits can't attend FAU until they get their grades up, is that correct? Which means they can't practice with the team this season.

Is it their high school grades? Seems like there was plenty of time for this news to get to Howard if thats what it is unless they were taking HS classes this summer trying to get their grades up and didn't accomplish it.

FAU - THE REAL SLEEPING GIANT
Back to the top

Summer practice Updates

Does anyone know specifically why Skinner was kicked off the team? That is a major blow to the secondary.
Back to the top

Summer practice Updates

sorry guys, wish i could provide some info on this, as this is a surprise to me as well.......but i thought things would be pretty smooth as I am in NYC for the week........Ill see what I can gather up.....

"Sore Loser?!?! Tell you what, show me a Good Loser and I'll SHOW you a LOSER!!!"
Back to the top

Summer practice Updates

Let's just say that he was warned on several occasions and decided to ignore certain warnings.
Back to the top

Summer practice Updates

Summer practice Updates

illinoisowl said

OFF THE ROSTER

This is NOT good. :'(

These new recruits can't attend FAU until they get their grades up, is that correct? Which means they can't practice with the team this season.

Is it their high school grades? Seems like there was plenty of time for this news to get to Howard if thats what it is unless they were taking HS classes this summer trying to get their grades up and didn't accomplish it.

I'm sure that the coaches were aware of the possibilities. The main culprit in the rejections are almost always the NCAA Clearinghouse. It could be anything from grades to core subjects. Maybe one was substituted and don't count towards the core classes. One may have been dropped and not enough credits was achieved. Or they just didn't pass the FCAT to get out of high school. It could have been a variety of reasons. Don't get me wrong we'll miss them, but we don't know how many would have been RS anyway.
We do have some good soph who will see the field.
Back to the top

Summer practice Updates

Back to the top

Summer practice Updates

Back to the top
Control functions: