Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Rocky Mountain Contingent

Add topic

Greetings from 9,700 feet, friends. Just wanted to let you know that the FAU influence continues to spread. We're a small group, but we're enthusiastic.

Writing from Summit County, Colo., I can say that at least three FAU alums call this glorious place home. One is me, poly sci, class of 1969. I am retired (for two weeks), splitting time between Breckenridge and our real home in Colorado Springs.

More important: Nancy Cook (FAU, 1976), a wonderful folk singer (remember folk?), whose father is Dr. Joseph B. Cook, formerly an education prof at FAU, sings and plays the guitar here. She's great. Her husband is the Colorado equivalent of an Alaskan bush pilot. He teaches flying at Leadville, Colo., elevation 10,152 feet, a great training ground for the military, among others. (Mysterious helicopters fly over from time to time.) Not my cup of tea, but someone has to do it. One of his problems is that herds of elk sometimes congregate on the runway of the Leadville airport. Everyone has his challenges, right? Nacny has a website (and sells CDs) at

http://www.picklehead.com/nancy.html

Remember, she's an Owl. Alto, very nice. Reminds me a little of (ready, old-timers?) Mary, of Peter, Paul and Mary. Only not quite as throaty as Mary.

Secondly, Ed Goodman, (FAU, College of Education and an athletic trainer in the early days), resides here with wife and son. Ed is a police officer in Fairplay, Colo., where the speed limit is 20 or so – 25 at the most, and all are advised to adhere to it. Woe to those caught speeding in Fairplay; wise men (and women) need not expect fair play in Fairplay.

I'm trying to round 'em up to watch one of the games at a wonderful mountain bar in Breckenridge called Downstairs at Eric's. (Well, OK. Maybe the Gold Pan Saloon, which is about as disreputable – and charming – as its name.) With any luck, we'll get together with our FAU hats – and survive obnoxious and drunken opponents. No doubt, a good time will be had by all. It is rumored, and I believe accurately, that they sell whiskey in these parts.

Funny thing about FAU: Nancy saw my baseball cap with the FAU logo and proudly said that was her school. Ed saw my Colorado license plates (FAUOWLS) when out biking with his son and followed me to our Breckenridge home. These are good signs. People are proud and ready for a good connection. Encourage it when you can.

Me? I'm married to a Texas grad. Did someone say national championship? Oh, please. She reminds me often enough….
Back to the top

Greetings Grayowl. I've been to your neck of the woods. My brother and his wife own a condo in Frisco that they use to spend the whole weekend skiing instead of driving back and forth from Parker, a suburb of Denver.

I did a little skiing myself in Breckenridge and Keystone. My brother's son went to the Airforce Academy right there in Co Springs.

FAU - THE REAL SLEEPING GIANT
Back to the top

My first skying expereince was from Breckenridge & Keystone, some very good memories there 8-)

I agree GrayOwl, former Alumni's need to find a way to reconnect and feel proud of their Alma Mater - heck even if they do support one of the top BCS school doesn't mean they can't show support to their Alma Mater.

Thanks for the update out West!!

Go Owls!!
Back to the top
Control functions: