Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Walk-ons that made the roster

From the Miami Herald:

WALK-ONS MAKE ROSTER

Running back Roderick Gillis, the son of Broward County Athletic Association co-athletic director Rocky Gillis, was one of 12 walk-on players who made roster.

The others are: RB Cole Sidner, DB Matt Andrews, OL Cleveland Gary Jr.; LB Patrick Gwinn, DB Bryan Jackson, OL Chris Lena, TE Darrian Lynch, OL Tyler Reik, WR Maxi Sands and OL Derek Skop.

Does anyone know anything about these players? Sizes, weights, if they had come from other colleges?

I'm guessing that Cleveland Gary Jr. is the son of former NFL running back Cleveland Gary.
Back to the top

>>OL Cleveland Gary Jr<<

That's got to be the former UMiami star and NFL player's son.

Gary has a Saturday sports talk show on WZZR (94.3 and 101.3) FM, and at WZZR.com.
Back to the top

I have suggested ion the past that they have Real Radio (WZZR 94.3) do remotes of their sport show from lockhart on the day of our home games. I am sure whatever the cost would be , could be recovered at the gate. They do have drawing power for their remotes and would provide literally cheap advertising for our team.

It start with people talking about FAU to generate interest.
Back to the top

I think they have great drawing power, but I'm not sure the same people who show up at the rock bars and strip joints would also be FAU fans. :)

A remote would be a good idea. We need to call into the show and suggest it on air, also bringing up FAU sports. I'm sure Gary (and the guys who run the Saturday morning sports show) would like the interaction. Gary is on in the (Saturday) afternoon.
Back to the top

Hello everyone. I have been reading all of your input for a while and this is the 1st time I am responding. We can do all the advertising in the world and it will not mean anything down here in South Florida. There is only one proven way for us to get the big fan base we are all eager for. That is to WIN!

If our team can manage that, everything else will fall into place…including our stadium. Go OWLS!!!
Back to the top

Welcome to the board FauDieHard and don't be a stranger ;)

Part of building a fan base is creating interest and yes winning in our case is the most important part of that equation. However, it doesn't hurt to stir the pot and generate interest within our community and when we do start winning on a consistant bases those casual sport fans will be somewhat familar with FAU and more likely to become fans.

Using a local talk show to talk local sports is a start in that direction, you can't always wait on the side lines and it is time to be proactive in create a buzz and I do understand that it is hard to create a buzz if no one seems to care.

Real Radio does have very knowledgble sport fans and if they have a chance to catch a game with tailgating thrown in the mix…..

We are in a very tough market with out a doubt, South Florida is probably the toughest and I understand that only time will create the fan base we all want. Yet I do think we need to be somewhat proactive and trying different avenues to generate interest and not use the same old forms of advertising.

We are not a FSU, UM or UF where they have that drawing power, we are at the bottom looking up and yes the Dome will help our cause significantly, but will not slove everything.

We do have a very steep hill to climb and you need to start climbing sometime and not wait for the perfect time, because that time may not come.

Back to the top
Control functions: