Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Coach Schnelly=GQ Coach

Coach Schnelly=GQ Coach

Now this is good stuff!!!!!!

Read On:

I thought you would enjoy this article. Don't forget to watch our football season opener
on ESPNU this Saturday at 3:30 pm against Clemson.

Shelley Binegar
Assistant Athletics Director - Owl Club
561-297-0408
[email protected]

THE BEST DRESSED COACH: HOWARD SCHNELLENBERGER, FLORIDA ATLANTIC
Jeff D'Alessio - Staff
Sunday, August 27, 2006

Back when Howard Schnellenberger played, coaches dressed as if they'd just come straight from Brooks Brothers — not the Nike factory outlet.

"I remember seeing General Neyland on the Tennessee sidelines, Bobby Dodd and, of course, Coach [Bear] Bryant. They all wore sportscoats," said Schnellenberger, formerly of Miami, Oklahoma and Louisville and now set to enter his sixth season at Florida Atlantic in Boca Raton.

One of college football's elder statesmen still is a bit old-fashioned when it comes to his game-day wardrobe, which consists of a coat, tie, matching handkerchief, a nice pair of slacks and, when his feet aren't hurting him, some cowboy boots.

"I still can't beat those basketball coaches," Schnellenberger said.

But our panel of experts says the 72-year-old grandfather is in a league of his own when it comes to football fashion.

CINDY MARGOLIS, Supermodel

"He's not only one of the best coaches that we've ever had, but definitely one of the best-dressed and, may I add, sexiest coaches in the country."

GLENN O'BRIEN, GQ's "Style Guy"

"Schnellenberger looks great. As football fans, we miss the days of George Halas and Paul Brown, who dressed like the adult executives they were. A suit and tie demands respect, unlike highly marketed official team gear and baseball caps worn backwards."

KATHY IRELAND, Supermodel

"In the world of fashion, the winners make their own rules. Coach Schnellenberger defines elegance under pressure. This very handsome gentleman has great style. I always tell people, 'Unleash your personal style,' and, 'Don't be afraid of color.' Coach Schnellenberger has scored a touchdown in both. He belongs in the Fashion Hall of Fame."

CARSON KRESSLEY, "Queer Eye for the Straight Guy"

"Very handsome. The best-dressed coach in football. And I loved him in 'Dynasty.' "

CAROL ALT, Supermodel

"I love the look. My boyfriend, who is a hockey player, always wears a suit on the road as requested by the league. I think it's befitting a sports hero to look the part. No less for a coach. They should dress the part and let people know that they don't bow to fad dressing."

EMME, Supermodel

"Coach certainly looks like he means business. Not to mention how debonair and handsome a suit looks on this major college football legend. Thumbs up from me. When's the next game?"

Back to the top

Coach Schnelly=GQ Coach

That is a great story. Obviously these famous people have heard about FAU and the football program. Very encouraging. 8-)

I think its a nice look to be out there in a suit. Its a good reflection on the university too.

FAU - THE REAL SLEEPING GIANT
Back to the top

Coach Schnelly=GQ Coach

starting off the season 1-0.....
Back to the top

Coach Schnelly=GQ Coach

O.G. said

EMME, Supermodel

"Coach certainly looks like he means business. Not to mention how debonair and handsome a suit looks on this major college football legend. Thumbs up from me. When's the next game?"

Somebody get her to the Clemson game - I'd love to see how sexy she can make an FAU tank top look ;D

Back to the top

Coach Schnelly=GQ Coach

where was this published?

"Sore Loser?!?! Tell you what, show me a Good Loser and I'll SHOW you a LOSER!!!"
Back to the top

Coach Schnelly=GQ Coach

Don't know where this particular article was printed. I just copied the e-mail I received from Shellie.

But Jeff writes for The Sporting News.
Back to the top

Coach Schnelly=GQ Coach

You have to admit he is a very dapper gentleman on the sidelines and can you imagine if he still carried that pipe! ;)
Back to the top

Coach Schnelly=GQ Coach

Back to the top

Coach Schnelly=GQ Coach

D' Alessio did a piece on FAU in 2001. I can't find it in any articles or archives. Really nice start-up profile on the team. Then he had a nice piece after the Hawaii victory too.
Back to the top

Coach Schnelly=GQ Coach

Here is the same article in the FAU football web page. This one includes a picture of Howard looking pretty dapper.

Go get'em Howard!

http://fausports.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/090106aab.html

FAU - THE REAL SLEEPING GIANT
Back to the top
Control functions: