Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Clemson Game Toughts

I figured it's that time again to throw out what everboby things about our game on Saturday, instead of the usual prediction thread.
Back to the top

Clemson Game Toughts

With so many questions about this FAU team going into this game against the Tigers, I will share what I would like to see happen to consider us having a successful outting against Clemson.

The experience we gained last year in facing Louisville and Minnesota should help provide us with what to expect from Clemson. I throw these two games out there for these reasons, game speed, the running game (our D will have to face) and the offensive fire power that also exist and let's not forget what our offense is surely to face as far as what the oppossing Defense will throw at them. Sure, Clemson will have their own version of an unproven at QB also starting his first game, but he does posses more experience then Rusty and he is starting his first game on his own turf, plus he is surrounded with proven players and a pretty good OL.

There is no doubt our hands will be full on both side of the ball, but there is hope. What I see, is a better prepared team (fundamentaly prepared and confident group) then last year heading into this seasons opener.

So, lets start on offense:

We have a Redshirt Freshman QB, Rusty Smith starting is first Collegiate game in "Death Valley" which I hope does not translate to, death to Rusty. Is he ready? I have ask this question before, would Rusty be ready to start if we where to play ULM instead of Clemson on Sat.? To answer the first question - With out the high sight the easy answer is NO, "Death Valley" is not an easy place to play, period. For the second question, Rusty would have a much better chance to settle in and make plays and have a complete overall game against ULM.

I have supported the decision to start Rusty, thinking that he has to learn to handle adversities earlier if he is to develop into a great QB for FAU (good or average is not good enough). He will struggle on Sat. and so will the Offense. What I would like to see is for us not to be conservative (we have nothing to lose attitude) and let the players make plays, mistakes will be made and that is to be expected, but we do have potential to make things happen. The running game will be key to any success we develop on offense, it needs to be good enough to help keep drives alive and take some heat off of Rusty. Rusty will need support from his WR and TE. Lets not help Clemson, by stopping potential drives with Dumb penelties.

On Defense:

Again we can go back to the Louisville and Minnesota games as a good gauge as to what to expect. We need to do a better job of pressuring the QB, how many sacks we get is not as important as to putting lots and lots of pressure on him early, remember he is starting his first game also. We will not be able to stop them from scoring and YES they will make some big plays, the last thing we need to do is sit back and react to the plays. We need to play very aggressive (again with we have nothing to lose attitude) and pressure them as much as possible, which will be a very demanding jobs for our front line. We need to understand that they will make plays on offense, to much talent there to surpress them for any period of time. The down fall of playing aggressive is that you do open yourself to big plays, but I would rather see us playing hard and aggressive, then sitting back and reacting.

Do we have the depth to rotate players to stay fresh playing an aggressive style against Clemson? Our front line will have to have a very big game and containing the running game will be key, can we do so for an amount of time more or less an entire game? We have had trouble in the past stopping more or less containing a solid running attacks in the past so a big test exist on Sat..

Special teams:

We need better preformance out of this unit this year period.
We do have some very good players that should give us a nice boost, especially on kick-offs and punt returns. We need better preformance on our punting duties, period.

Back to the top

Clemson Game Toughts

their punting apparently stinks. hopefully we can get some good field position.
Back to the top

Clemson Game Toughts

A sports writer friend of mine say take the points. Their QB may not live up to the hype following Whitehurst.

Matter of fact he's looking at an 18+ spread. Let's see how close he comes and if he's worth his column.. ;D
Back to the top

Clemson Game Toughts

Already took the points with a Clemson grad. I would LOVE to take his money.

GO OWLS!
Back to the top

Clemson Game Toughts

Clemson Game Toughts

Those first games can be very tough and he could be trying to hard, plus Clemson has a knack of starting slow - all work in our favor, but that just may help keep the game from getting out of hand early and give us a chance to keep it close.
Back to the top

Clemson Game Toughts

By the way, Clemson's QB, Will Proctor is NOT starting his first game. He started last year against Duke (@ Duke), and came in against Texas A&M to lead the offense on the wining drive of the game. Not tons of experience, but that TAMU drive was a pressure cooker, and is the reason for the higher expectations for Proctor (along with the O-Line.)
Back to the top

Clemson Game Toughts

tigerpaw, not nitpicking but that Duke game was NOT at duke, it was in Death Valley for our homecoming….I'd rather not think back to the last tiem we traveled to Duke :(

But Proctor is very capable. We have a lot of talent this year and a VERY tough line.
Back to the top

Clemson Game Toughts

clemsontiger said

tigerpaw, not nitpicking but that Duke game was NOT at duke, it was in Death Valley for our homecoming….I'd rather not think back to the last tiem we traveled to Duke :(

But Proctor is very capable. We have a lot of talent this year and a VERY tough line.

AaaaHaaa. That makes a difference. The frienldy confines of Death Valley for Mr Proctor may have helped his transition.

Just messin with you guys. I'm sure that Bowden wouldn't have him out there if he wasn't the one to lead the team.
Back to the top

Clemson Game Toughts

Just some quick notes.

Termaine Billie (#20 Sr.), our starting OLB, is out due to a broken ankle. Antonio Clay (#43 So.) is scheduled to start, however …

Clay's 22-year old sister died Tuesday night in a car accident. His uncle said the family has asked Clay to go back and play the game. I think he'll be reporting back today for practice. His sister's funeral will be Monday.

Side note: Her two children were in the car as well. Both survived, but was taken into intensive care that night. Last I heard they were taken out and expected to make a full recovery.

C.J. Gaddis (#12 RS Jr.) our starting CB, is suspended for the game (skipping study hall). Red-shirt freshman Chris Chancellor (#38) or Haydian Lewis (#29 So.) will be starting.

Our punting game, like someone said, SUCKS (or did last year). Jimmy Manners, a walk-on, is penciled in as the starter, with last year's starter, Cole Chason, backing him up. Bowden said that could all change after practice though. Our punting game woes were two-fold: poor punting scheme with that three-men wall in the back field with the punter, and just that our punter isn't as good as we hoped he would be. We've corrected the scheme (hopefully) and now it just lays with improvement of play.
Back to the top
Control functions: