Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Owls-Tigers Post Game Views Thread

This is a little different than the "position A,B,C,D grade system" I've used in the past. This way it's probably easier to cover parts of the game which may have impacted the positions of each grade.

Offense: The WR/TE need to catch the catchable balls! O-line didn't too too bad. The QB's had time to throw or get rid of the ball. The RB's had a few good runs also. Clayton looked very poised out there. Rusty had a harder time settling in. Good move for coach to stick him back out there late in the game to keep his confidence intact.

Defense: Played great for a while. DB's looked confused on the post and WILL routes. Have to work through those problems when we play a running QB. A couple of D linemen looked out of position(before they were blocked) during some of of long runs.

Special Teams: Except for the error in touching down his knee our kicking game wasn't too bad. The S/T coverage need a little tweaking. Kick/punt return need a lot of work.

Overall we have to remember that we played a good team out there. Their defensive play had something to do with our play on offense. Offensively we knew they were going to put up some points. Good RB's and Special Team players will do that for you.
Back to the top

I did notice that Our LB's got trapped inside a few LESS times as the game went on. That was a sign of improvement from the 1st half.
Back to the top

Ok, just had to bring this one up. Forgive me if it comes off as sticking it to one of your players.

Insert from a Post Game Notebook on CUTigers.com:

Florida Atlantic defensive end Josh Pinnick, who told the Clemson offensive line earlier in the week to ?bring it on,? still wasn?t impressed, even after the massive whipping his team took.

?I don't think we played all that bad,? he said. ?The score didn't justify the way we played. Physically, I think we matched up. We were in the game for a while, but it just got away from us. ? I don?t want to say what I think about them being the 18th (ranked) team.?

Pinnick has every right not to be impressed. There are probably some Clemson fan not impressed as well, along with analyst and fans outside of FAU and Clemson. My problem would be the end of his quote. I cannot stand when a player, fan or anyone downplays a team they just played (win or loss). Pinnick, instead of questioning Clemson's 18th ranking should be questioning the pollsters in why his team isn't rated higher.

Comments like that, I feel, takes more away from your team than the other, especially in this case with the outcome. Why downplay a team that beat you? Is saying you got beat a by a lesser team that much more better to live with than saying you got beat by a good or great team?

Sorry you guys if I'm coming off in an unpopular way. Pinnick is dead right about what he said.

- The score does not give a good explanation of the game. It was much closer than the score indicates.

- Physically, you guys were better than what Clemson fans may of expected, even me.

- The game did get away from you guys. It could of been a lot closer if assignments were made, players adjusted a little better, and some of you guys made the tackle on the initial hit.
Back to the top

I don't believe that the final score was reflective of the game. We moved the ball well in the 2nd and 3rd Qtrs but unfortunately we couldn't really capitalize. I would have been nice to make them punt a couple of times but I think Clemson's total yards was only about 100 more than ours.

We can take some strong positives from this game as O.G. stated. Now that I've sleep off the sticker shock of the final score I think we can truly build on some of these things and give K-Sate a very very tough game next week.

GO OWLS!
Back to the top

cutigernut…thanks, we were both typing about the score not reflecting the game at the same time.

It's good to see that Pinnick has some attitude on an young team but and don't think questioning Clemson's ranking after what the scoreboard looked like at the end of the game is the right way to handle it but…I know they felt like the hung in there and I think they played well despite the score and some big mistakes.

GO OWLS!
Back to the top

It is good to play with some attitude. But the media have a habit of seeking out players like Josh(vocal)and he need to back up some of his statements.

See last year.
Back to the top

We've got to learn to capitalize on their mistakes, instead of giving the ball right back…….the O-line did a decent job, but when your doing 3 and out consistently you give our little depth defense no rest and saying that the D did a great job I think, for having no rest, they had some confused assignments, especially on that first TD, but I am sure the boys are going to fix that………..and on the Pinnick statement, he is a very blunt, tell you how it is type of person…..im sure he didn't mean to take anything away from clemson, he was just trying to point out that the game could have came out alot different and he hates to admit anybody is better than him……a true athletic mind…..

"Sore Loser?!?! Tell you what, show me a Good Loser and I'll SHOW you a LOSER!!!"
Back to the top

As far as what Pinnick stated, thats his opinion and if possible needs to be addressed with him. I don't think anyone else made that statement or felt that way. The team that has the most points on the board is the winner, how ever they are accumulated, even if the difference is 1 point.

with that said…….

I think it is good that FAU faced its toughest OOC opponent first. If you wanted to reveal ALL the areas that need work, play the most talented opponent first. Now they will go into this weeks practice with a list of things they need to work on especially those areas that might be vulnerable to K-State's game.

I didn't get a chance to watch the game, I listened. The one thing I DIDN'T hear was what I heard all last year. "Embick back to pass, under pressure", or "Embick is in trouble, trying to get away", etc. There seemed to be better protection of the QB this game. It is hard to evaluate a game from a radio broadcast. It sounded like Holley had some good kick off returns. We don't know how our punt return team might do since Clemson never punted.

I am looking forward to see how these things will be addressed and worked out.

Thank you cutingernut for your civilized and objective posts to an opponent or former opponent.

FAU - THE REAL SLEEPING GIANT
Back to the top

Thought you guys might enjoy these pretty ladies:

Back to the top

I only got a chance to watch the first 3 quarters but I noticed that initially the OL was having a bit of trouble but adjusted to the speed of CU's front 4 very quickly.

Both QB's had plenty of time to find an open receiver and make a pass, run or throw it away. Clayton reminds me a little bit of Ken Dorsey and Danny Wuerffel (sp?) in that neither of them practiced well but played strong on game day. I would prefer to see him run the O for the rest of the season. I feel that his experience at MSU gives him an advantage and hopefully he will get sharper.

I really liked how all of our backs picked up blitzes and blocked well adding to the QB protection.

I truly believe that we will be able to upset one of the other 3 big teams we play.

Good showing overall IMO.
Back to the top
Control functions: