Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

You be the judge, what do you think.....

……about any morale or attitude problem previously mentioned by one of our members. Is Craig telling it like it is?

Thank you for whom ever had the nerve to send this to "Ask the AD". Any info we can get right from the horses mouth is great.

Concerned, So you are not doing the "Ask the A.D. anymore? Rumors have it the morale is rock bottom and you are looking to go else where. Is that the reason for the poor performance of the football team? That kind of stuff comes across in your attitude and can affect the players. They pick up on it and it affects their mood. Of course it shows up in their performance on the field.

The alumni through coordination on the FAU message board is trying to rally together to get this dome approved. We think it will be a catalyst.

Most of/or all of us wish we knew more about what?s going on. Occasionally on the board, we'll get someone on there that claims to have information and talks about how bad things are with the staff. We don't know how accurate it is, if at all. But when things go like they did 9/9/06 in Kansas, you wonder.

Response from Athletics Director Craig Angelos

Dear Concerned, I certainly enjoyed your email. I still am doing the ?Ask the AD? segment but have not had ones like yours before. From my vantage point, the department has never been in better shape. By that, I mean we balanced the budget for the first time in history. We raised more unrestricted money than we ever had. We far exceeded our goals in ticket sales. We doubled our basketball attendance and we had five conference championships, one of just eight universities to have five or more, we finished 79 out of 321 Division I schools nationally and were fourth in the state behind Florida, Florida State, and Miami. From a department standpoint, we had a great year.

With regard to football, it is true that our team has struggled on the field. I did appreciate the credit you have given me for the performance of our football team but it is severely misplaced. By that I mean that the players barely know my name and certainly have little knowledge of whether I am doing a good job or not, whether we are balancing the budget, raising money etc. The football program costs about $3.9 million a year. They are fully funded. They have full scholarships, good facilities, good coaches, good tutors, they fly first rate on a charter plane, they stay in first rate hotels. From their vantage point, they are treated well. We do need an on-campus stadium and I have been working feverishly on this since I got here. There coaching staff coaches them well. So the performance on the field could be attributed to many things such as difficult competition, young team, second year in I-A and probably other things but quite a stretch to attribute it to whether the AD interviewed for another job.

With all that being said, I am a very hands-on AD and I meet regularly both together and individually with coaches and staff members. We have team building activities. I bring outside consultants to work with our staff. I think they enjoy working here at FAU, but to be sure, these are tough jobs because of the limited resources including lower salaries than at other higher funded programs. I know I will never please everybody but I believe that everyone sees this department moving in the right direction and the ?proof is in the pudding?. And of course, yes I enjoy being here. We have done wonderful things here and we can do even more wonderful things as we get these facilities built here.

Currently we are scheduled to meet with the Board of Trustees at their retreat on September 26 & 27 for a workshop to inform them of everything we have done up to this point and discuss the future. I expect some decisions this academic year. Thanks for your email.

Craig

FAU - THE REAL SLEEPING GIANT
Back to the top

To add to this, based on his wording:

I expect some decisions this academic year

We are not going to know anything the day of or day after the workshop. it sounds like, the way it usually works, the board has a work shop and uses another scheduled meeting to make a decision. Who knows when that might be. Lets just hope they know how important this is to get started the sooner the better.

Back to the top

I would just like to say that I think Mr. Angelos is doing an excellent job. Unfortunately I do not know him personally, but everything I have seen & read tells me so. We should consider ourselfves very luck to have him…for however long that might be.
Back to the top

Craig has been an excellent addition to FAU. He is a hard working individual who will get into the trenches with the people he need to work with. That's why his name crept up on the interview wires awhile back and will probably continue to be visible.

Like he said, IF THERE ARE ANY morale issues I would attribute it to on-field performance of not winning instead of the internal workings of the Administration.

This too shall pass…..
Back to the top

When I read this on the FAU web site, I decided to post it to negate some of the information we had been receiving on this board from another member.

It makes me feel better. I hope this is true for others.

Back to the top

I have heard some information that Angelos is looking to move, but I think he's any different than anyone else. He is always looking for the best opportunity for his family and himself but I don't think he is just looking to jump ship. The team of Brogan, Angelos and Schnellenberger have done a great job getting this program up and running under difficult circumstances (see dome thread and finance thread). Even though we are all very frustrated after two blowouts I think we need to stay the course and stand behind these guys. Our time will come.

GO OWLS!
Back to the top

What I would like to see happen after the BOT "workshop" on Sept 26 &27th is for the BOT to give us some type of feedback, hopefully positive concerning the "Innovation Village". Any feedabck tha shows that we are at least moving in a certain direction would be nice and may calm some nerves.
Back to the top

I wouldn't throw Mr. Angelos under the bus. He seems really committed to better FAU athletics.
Back to the top

He is doing a lot for the Department and to have him leave now would be a terrible terrible lose
Back to the top

I agree Talon, he has done a great job considering the limited resources he has to work with and I do hope his hard work brings him the rewards he rightly deserves (lets not forget Schnelly in there to) - Come on BOT do the right things!!

Back to the top
Control functions: