Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

State of the University 2006

Add topic

I just watched the state of the university given by Brogan this morning. That guy can schmooze a crowd.

If you were not in attendance for the presentation here is a link to the video. If you are interested in the plans and future of FAU, I would recommend watching it. There is lots more stuff going on other than sports.

The presentation starts about 15 minutes into the video. You'll see the university logo and hear music for that much time. don't ask me why, I don't know. You can do what I did and just fast forward it.

http://www.fau.edu/webcast/

FAU - THE REAL SLEEPING GIANT
Back to the top

very interesting to say the least. He is one hell of a speaker. I hope between him Schnelly and Angelos they can pull off the stadium deal, open or closed ;)
Back to the top

One thing that was covered in the presentation I thought was good. Brogan stated the new higher entrance requirements were in place this fall. There was no drop off in enrollment. I would make the assumption that this year's freshmen are a little more serious students than in the past. There was no real growth in enrollment either but that can be explained by the new entrance requirements. This is good. Quality over quantity.

Back to the top

Does anyone know how the board is chosen? My feelings are that academics is a given. We all know that is important. I think the board doesnt see the correlation between sports the money it brings in and the academics. It is all related. If they dont see that then it is time for a change. Fau could use the pride that sports will bring here. I am a graduate student in Biomedical sciences and have great pride for our science program. Now is the time for pride to be elevated as a whole. Enough said!! GO OWLS!!!!

One more thought!! we need to find alumni that can donate some serious cash. I for one plan on donating once I actually get some!!LOL
Back to the top

imoe27 said

Does anyone know how the board is chosen? My feelings are that academics is a given. We all know that is important. I think the board doesnt see the correlation between sports the money it brings in and the academics. It is all related. If they dont see that then it is time for a change. Fau could use the pride that sports will bring here. I am a graduate student in Biomedical sciences and have great pride for our science program. Now is the time for pride to be elevated as a whole. Enough said!! GO OWLS!!!!

One more thought!! we need to find alumni that can donate some serious cash. I for one plan on donating once I actually get some!!LOL

To answer your question as how the board is selected:

http://www.fau.edu/bot/index.php

Florida Atlantic University is governed by a thirteen member board of trustees, six of whom are appointed by the governor, five by the Board of Governors plus the student body president and the president of the University Faculty Senate. The gubernatorial and Board of Governors appointees must be confirmed by the Florida Senate.

The trustees are responsible for cost-effective policy decisions appropriate to the university's mission, the implementation and maintenance of high-quality education programs, the measurement of performance, the reporting of information and the provision of input regarding state policy, budgeting, and education standards.

Back to the top

The State of the University address is always an interesting presentation that reviews a lot of the exciting things that have happened over the past year. As it should be, the increase in sponsored research deserved the most attention. It's also nice to hear about the new on-campus hospital (extremely significant). I hope next year's address will be able to include an update on the new College of Engineering building currently being planned and, of course, the Dome.
Back to the top

Thanks for the info... Maybe Brogen should call upon a favor from JEB for the dome.. Just a thought. Most likely out of the realm of possibility. But it is politics....
Back to the top
Control functions: