Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

CNBC piece on the Owls

Anybody catch the piece CNBC did on the FAU Athletic program. Interviews with Brogan, Angelos and Schnellenberger. They were highlighting the fact that we're pulling down mega bucks by getting our asses kicked. Not sure it's the kind of publicity we need, but at least they're talking about us. I only caught the end of the show, but from what I saw the commentary seemed fair. If nothing else, I got to see some clips of the games that weren't on TV. Here's the link to the CNBC web site. The name of the piece is Gridiron Bucks. Check out the video.
http://moneycentral.msn.com/cnbc/tv/cnbcvideohighlights.aspx
Back to the top

CNBC piece on the Owls

It was a fair assesment and really show the reality of competeting at a higher level - also highlights why the Dome project is a no brainer, the revenues it would bring would help make sure we operate in the black on a yearly bases, with out having to rely on the money games and could then play those Mac schools that was discussed earlier. For now we need to continue to play this tough OCC "Money Games" just to make sure we can balance the books.
Back to the top

CNBC piece on the Owls

Good piece, fair assesment of college football...we have to have the dome if we are going to succeed in the long run.

GO OWLS!
Back to the top

CNBC piece on the Owls

CNBC piece on the Owls

Thanks for posting it. I thought it was done well, fair, though it presented challenging issues. I also thought Frank Brogan, Craig Angelos, Howard Schnellenberger and Cergile Sincere handled themselves well in the interviews.
Back to the top

CNBC piece on the Owls

I told you guys a long time ago in the thread about how we will do in SBC that we play these games for the money and I caught a lot of flack for it….I told you first about Jimmie Sutton and caught flack for it…you'll see the dome date with BOT of 11/7 is right as well…there are other examples as well but I don't feel like keeping score….I'm dipping my toes back in the water here to share info with people who love FAU athletics but if I get any more crap I'm done…trust me, I'm up to my eyeballs in FAU athletics and don't need this board for any ego thing….there just aren't that many people that I've met that really care like the folks on this board
Back to the top

CNBC piece on the Owls

reguardless of the reason we are playing these games, the formula has worked in the past with UM and Louisville. Thank God there is a resource like this to help balance the budget and the by-product is a better team.

This is good publicity too.

FAU - THE REAL SLEEPING GIANT
Back to the top

CNBC piece on the Owls

I thought the CNN piece was excellent. It shows the incredible vision, perseverance and dedication of FAU, the coaches and athletes in making FAU top notch.

Welcome back OwlDayLong —-

So how do you feel about our chances for the Dome ? Was moving the date, again, in our favor ?
Has our letter writing to the BOT made an impact ?
What are the other teams that will be using the dome, doing to help in this group effort ?
How else can we help to make sure our student athletes can play on the Boca campus by 2008/9 ?
Back to the top

CNBC piece on the Owls

Owldaylong -

I don't anyone would disagree that we play these non-conference games for the guaranteed payout. That was the plan from Day 1 and some did believe otherwise, then they were fooling themselves.

As for the Jimmie Sutton situation, I think the problem people had with you was the vagueness of some of your posts. There have been people who post here saying "I know something, but I can't say anything yet." That is what frustrated many of the members.

Like I've said before, many of us have direct ties to the university, and the athletic dept. in particular, which is why many of us chose to remain annonymous. Parents, boosters, alums, coaches, players are all part of these discussions, to be sure. But we all have one thing in common and that's a passion for FAU.

My point is, if you are upset with some people's negative reaction to your posts, first look and see if they have a reason to react that way. And in my opinion, some of your posts have been written with confrontational tones. Just remember, as with ALL fan message boards, some people just want to stir things up.

So keep posting, as always, any information on FAU always is welcome.

President of the No Homers Club. Keepin' it real since 2001.
Back to the top

CNBC piece on the Owls

Owldaylong…

I think Canadian Owl put it very well. Don't get so upset with any negative feedback we are all on the same team and some people are just more frustrated than others on any given day. I hope you hang around and give us any insights or opinions you have.

Welcome Back.

GO OWLS!
Back to the top

CNBC piece on the Owls

FAUFBL said

I thought the CNN piece was excellent. It shows the incredible vision, perseverance and dedication of FAU, the coaches and athletes in making FAU top notch.

Welcome back OwlDayLong —-

So how do you feel about our chances for the Dome ? Was moving the date, again, in our favor ?
Has our letter writing to the BOT made an impact ?
What are the other teams that will be using the dome, doing to help in this group effort ?
How else can we help to make sure our student athletes can play on the Boca campus by 2008/9 ?
I don't think anyone in the athletic dept. is confident the dome will happen. Moving the date may be advantageous because like I said it will be the only topic on that date so it will get a lot of time. I've heard it expressed that requests for more information could be a stall tactic that will be used over and over. I've never heard anything about the letters having or not having an effect. I do know that Armand Grossman wants the dome and sees it as a no risk situation to the university since someone else is putting up all the money. I wouldn't waste any time sending letters to him as you're preaching to the choir there. My gut feeling is to focus on Sherry Plymale, a career academian and the Chair of the Board to let her know how much you people care about FAU athletics. There is a disconnect that between the academians and athletics and their vision for the university (this is not unique to FAU). President Brogan has stated that there are those (the educators) who would like to see athletics return to Division II. I've heard this from a department head that I'm friendly with as well. In sum, focus efforts on career academians rather than the business community trustees. As far as I know the other teams aren't doing anything to get the dome moving forward. This is an athletic director/associate A.D driven project and the coaches have their hands full with their respective teams.
Back to the top
Control functions: