Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

B-Ball recruit

Add topic

Just got an email from scout.com. Walters has a 2007 verbal committ. A 6-6 1/2 forward from Miami. Jamal Owens.

We'll see if he can pull in a center this year.

FAU - THE REAL SLEEPING GIANT
Back to the top

B-Ball recruit

I don't know anything about him, but he was ranked #3 in the state on this site, behind 2 UF recruits.

http://galaxyofstarsbasketball.com/_wsn/page2.html

Owens is the 3rd 2007 BBall recruit to commit. Flavarsity.com lists the others as 6-7 PF Roderick Green and 6-0 PG Carderro Nwoji. If anyone has info on any of these guys, please post it.

Also interesting, another team that was recruiting Owens was SMU. Sorry Matt ;)
Back to the top

B-Ball recruit

Walters scored the #3 player in the state? The first 2 have UF down as a commit. Thats not too shabby. That list is 295 player long. We get a couple of good recruits, others might follow. I hope they have good season this year.

I noticed a few big men uncomitted. 3 from Montverde, the tallest of them is 7-1.

Also interesting, another team that was recruiting Owens was SMU. Sorry Matt
ooooooh I like that! ;D
I thought Doherty had his sights on the basketball state of Texas. Tell him to stay out of Florida.

Back to the top

B-Ball recruit

B-Ball recruit

Roderick Green Heading Home

By Jeff Goodman
National Recruiting Analyst
Posted Aug 28, 2006

Roderick Green's journey has been long and complicated. He's gotten married, worked for Comcast and now he's gearing up to play Division 1 college basketball. The former Boyd Anderson (Fla.) standout will return home to play college ball.

A little more than a year ago, Roderick Green was hooking up cable television for Comcast. Now he?s going to go back home and play Division 1 basketball for Florida Atlantic.
The 6-foot-7 ?, 240-pound Green was a double-double guy as a senior in high school at Boyd Anderson (Fla.). Then he went to Miami Dade, but things didn?t work out. Green left to become a computer technician for Comcast ? working 12-hour days.

``It was OK, but it wasn?t my calling,? Green said. ?I?m not ready for that part of my life yet.?

Green, who got married to Kiarra Repress on Nov. 8 last year, picked up and went to Redlands Community College (Okla.) ? where he sat out as a redshirt last season.

Fortunately for Green, one of his former coaches at Miami Dade and another from Redlands both joined new FAU head coach Rex Walters? staff.

They saw the versatile Green ? who is a face-up four-man who should be an immediate impact player for Walters & Co.

``They both ended up there,? Green said. ?I?m excited. This is going to be a homecoming for me. I?m glad to be going home and show everybody

Back to the top

B-Ball recruit

I was curious as to his rating in the state of Florida and I figured he'd have to be at least a 3 star recruit but Rivals.com only lists him as a 1 star?? We are also in the running for a couple of 3 stars and a couple of 2 stars…hopefully Rex can keep building on!!!
Back to the top

B-Ball recruit

ROUNDUP
Owens commits to FAUBY RUDY RODRIGUEZ-CHOMAT
Miami Herald Writer

Carol City forward Jamal Owens committed to Florida Atlantic University coach Rex Walters last weekend following a visit to the school, he said Wednesday.

After having a great junior year in which he averaged 24 points and 12 rebounds at Miramar High School, Owens played AAU basketball this past summer, getting major exposure to numerous college coaches around the country, including Walters and FAU assistant Mike Balado.

The 6-6, 225-pound power forward is a tremendous leaper with incredible explosion. He transferred to Carol City in the spring and will be a key player on a team that returns almost its entire lineup and will be considered one of the favorites to get to Lakeland this year out of Miami-Dade.

Owens chose FAU over Florida State, Florida International, University of South Florida, Stetson, SMU and St. Francis. Early playing time proved to be a major reason for Owens' commitment to Walters and FAU.

''I felt like I could make an immediate impact in my first year and get a lot of playing time,'' Owens said. ``I am really excited about playing for Coach Walters the next four years. I feel he can really help my game improve.''

Owens credited playing AAU basketball as a major reason his stock soared after great performances at the Rumble in the Bronx in New York City, the Reebok Summer Classic East and the Playaz Ball.

''Playing AAU helped a lot. A lot of coaches were coming to watch our point guard John Roberson and after we beat the D.C. Assault [one of the best travel teams in the country], a lot of coaches started taking notice of me,'' Owens said.

Back to the top

B-Ball recruit

This is good news. I think Rex is hungry to make a name for FAU and Himself. My wife went to the university of Kansas and the Basketball vibe there is incredible. Hopefully Rex trys to bring us to that pinnacle. GO OWLS!!!!
Back to the top
Control functions: