Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

The Passing of Kamp Rogers

Add topic

The Passing of Kamp Rogers

Dear Owl Fans,

Saturday evening following our game with South Carolina, I was given the terrible news of Kamp Rogers' passing. He lost his 32-year battle of lung disease Saturday, but will continue to be an inspiration to all of us as we strive to make a difference at FAU and make a difference in the lives of each student we touch.

The sport of football is a hard fought battle that takes place between the lines for just sixty minutes, but it can be so much more as Kamp understood.

He had fought the bigger fights for more than 30 years. He had coached youth football for 30 years in the Tampa Bay area, using the sport to make a difference in young children's lives, touching more than he could ever know. He and his wife Anita teamed together for nearly 30 years and raised three children, one being Cameron, that we here at FAU had the good fortune to also coach from 2001-2004.

Cameron, a founding player with our program, was cheered on at practice and at games by his father. But, it was more than just Cameron that Kamp inspired. We currently have several players from the Tampa area that Kamp mentored and encouraged. For that we are thankful.

Kamp also meant so much to you as evident by the message board. We as coaches seldom take part in fan conversation but we have enjoyed the banter between each of you made possible by Kamp's passion and dedication to making the message board a place of information, a place to voice your opinion but most importantly Kamp kept the conversation upbeat and professional.

Kamp, thank you for all you have done and we will certainly miss you.

Thank you for allowing me this voice and on the behalf of Beverlee and I as well as the entire football staff, our deepest sympathy is extended to Kamp's family and friends.

Sincerely,

Howard Schnellenberger

Back to the top