Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Pregame Toughts - ULM vs FAU

After a long and trechous run of out of reach OCC games, we are now playing to our level, the SBC or are we really ready for ULM?

This is a game we need to take seriously and play well or we could find ourselves in another runaway type of game. Should we expect a 20 point deficit? ULM will test us with a running & passing game, so don't be suprissed if the players don't take care of business, it could be another long day on the gridiron.

I will hit on our Special teams play first, we just need to get better - our kick-off coverages stinks and we need to stop giving opponents CHEAP yardage and good field position.

Offensively, we need to find a QB (does anybody want the starting spot or what?) and let him take the majority of the snaps to help establish some type of rythm on offense. We need to complete wome passes, I'm sorry, but 43% just isn't going to get-R-done. Let's put the ball into the receivers hand, for that matter lets find some play makers and put the ball into their hands. As far as running the pigskin - I would like to see one backs with at least 25-30 carries, 10 carries is not enough if we are serious about having a running game. We need to improve on a 25% 3rd down coversion ratio :P

Defensively, I like the aggressiveness we have played with lately, especially last week, without a few breakdowns here and there we have oursevles a manageble game. The secondary needs to step-up and makes some plays - we need better effort on those 3rd downs, way to many big plays given up. The good news ULM is just as bad as we are on 3rd down conversion (ULM is slightly better). So stick it to them.

Overall, if we eliminate the majority of miscues and allow ourselves a chance to build some kind of rythm (offensively & defensively) then I do think we can build some momentum and confidence on the field. We need to build on any positive on Saturday and play with energy. Let's get back to the being the road warriors we once where and play some great football.

No predictions at this time, but I surely hope we don't pull a Julia Roberts version of Runaway Bride on Saturday. A victory would be nice, but playing a solid football game will be far more important - hate to preach about moral victories here, but at this point in time we need something positive out of Saturdays game.

Beat them Warhawks and bring home a victory boys!!

Go Owls!!
Back to the top

Pretty good Bytor, I was thinking of a couple of other things to say and you hit the high points. I agree with the prediction. I'm not jumping on that grenade either.

I will say the team has been tested pretty hard over the past four games. This had to be tough and after seeing how they were rated nationally It's no surprise just how hard it was. Funny thing is they haven't lost confidence in themselves and damn sure haven't given up. That alone is a very big plus.

Maturing as a group, together as one, they may have realized where they are in the vast scheme of things and understand they have to build this team up all over again.

Like Bytor said they really need to eliminate miscues and get the Rhythm.
Back to the top

I was totaly wrong on this one last year. After the Kansas, Minnesota and OK-State game, I thought those guys were going to destroy the first SBC opponent, which happened to be ULM. I felt after 3 OOC games like that, the SBC games would be no problem. We lost 28-21.

So having said that I will reserve any prediction this year on the first SBC game. This game will DEFINITLEY be a litmus test as to how they look playing at their own level.

I'm hoping it will turn out like UNT's 2004 season where they lost all their OOC games, some were blow outs and won their conference games. I don't think anyone would have picked UNT to win the conference AFTER the ooc games. Especially after getting beat by a 4 year old start up D1AA team.

FAU - THE REAL SLEEPING GIANT
Back to the top

Very well said Talon, about the team needing time to mature and basically redefine themselves as a team. They now have been thru some very tough challenges, which can either tear a team apart or bring them closer together.

It will be very interesting to see how the players cope when miscues do occur, HOPEFULLY they will fight through them and make good things happen, because now they have to work even harder to make goods things happen and then confidence will take care of the rest.

This truely becomes an overall team effort, supporting and helping each other.

Playing these tough OCC has exposed our weakness, but I do think that we have experience the worse that can happen to this team - We have played in front of 77,000 and the least 45,000 fans so playing at ULM should not be a factor today - the only questions will be, are going to be our worse enemy today. Let the Warhawks earn this one, if we do that then we played a good game and should put us in position to also win out first game of the season.

Go Owl's, beat them Warhawks!!
Back to the top

I like FAU's chances in this one. Even though the Owls got belted by South Carolina, I saw numerous positives in that game. FAU marched right down the field on the first drive and the defense put good pressure on USC's mobile QB.

What that means for this week: FAU needs to keep the defensive intensity up. The team was outclassed in the first four games, the field is even now. The offense should be able to move the ball this week. Rushing looked much improved against USC. Look for a solid day on the ground and a strong defensive game resulting in FAU's first win of the 2006 season. My early prediction FAU 24 ULM 17. GO OWLS!!!

2017 and 2019 Conference USA Champions
Back to the top

Turned out to be a great game. Way to go FAU!!!! I guess my prediction was pretty accurate ;D. It looks like the running game got going and the defense did just enough. With a big win next week this team could gain some much needed momentum. GO OWLS!!!

2017 and 2019 Conference USA Champions
Back to the top

owlfan1 said

My early prediction FAU 24 ULM 17. GO OWLS!!!

Not to shabby…Whats your prediction on the Lafayette game?
Back to the top
Control functions: