Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

For Current Players and Future Recruiting

I've been thinking about this for awhile and what brough this to light for me was the seeing and talking to the South Carolina fans, especially the tail gaters.

Something that the curent players need to realize and maybe future recruits. The kids that started this program are memorialized with a plaque on the Field, as result of there beliefs in this program and Schnelly. That took so much for a kid that could have gone to another D1-AA school or possibly D-1A to come to an unknown. Why a start up, I can go to X school that is better known and strut my stuff. Well, every milestone at FAU is going to be huge and recognized and will be part of this great beginning. The sun Belt Championship once it is won its great to win it again but the first one is the one that most people remember. I can remember most of the players from the Dolphin's 72 Super Bowl but not sure who was still their for the second.

I guess the best way to describe it is an incentive, a goal for them to go after and become part of history that is an added part of the foundation. It is also for the students and alumni of FAU because if you look at the fan base at games for the big schools and the reason most people choose those schools, is the heritage for what they are and like it or not Athletics is partially the reason. Association with the institution if you don't believe that go to the bars and tailgate tents during game. Some of them may not give a crap about football or who is even on the team but they are there because (they want to get drunk and eat food) the association with that school.
Back to the top

Talon, there ar alreay several transfers at FAU who wil be eligble next year. They come from some good progrms and will bring good talent to the playrs already there. Looking at next years schedule, ther are some tough OOC games but I think FAU will be more competitive and they will win the SBC for sure. This years team has a shot at the SBC. I know its early but there seems to be more parity amng the sbc teams this year. I thought it woudl be Troy and FIU but both are struggling now. Its too early to tell but I think FAU is gonig to surprise some folks through the rest of theis year.
Back to the top

faubigtimefootball said

Talon, there ar alreay several transfers at FAU who wil be eligble next year. They come from some good progrms and will bring good talent to the playrs already there. Looking at next years schedule, ther are some tough OOC games but I think FAU will be more competitive and they will win the SBC for sure. This years team has a shot at the SBC. I know its early but there seems to be more parity amng the sbc teams this year. I thought it woudl be Troy and FIU but both are struggling now. Its too early to tell but I think FAU is gonig to surprise some folks through the rest of theis year.

faubigtimefootball,

I know about Jason, do you know of other players that are sitting out this year because of the transfer rules? I'm just curious who they are. We hade several from good programs become eligible this year, one of which is Frantz Joseph from Boston College. I think its interesting to see these guys go to other programs then decide to come to FAU.

FAU - THE REAL SLEEPING GIANT
Back to the top

illinoisowl, some of those players you mentioned at one point where recruited by FAU, so are not strangers to the program.

Troy is still a contender - they have yet to play a SBC game and in my book remain contenders till they lose a couple of SBC games. MTSU right now is the front runner with 2 wins in conference play. And we can't forget the current champs.
This will be a dog fight till the end, similar to last year. This is what it's all about - where every game in conference play become important and you can't overlook anyone. Makes for some good times and helps us keep up with the rest of the SBC teams and become better acquainted with our SBC opponents.

Back to the top

The main point was probably more toward the recruits as kind of an incentive. Of course the stadium news if it happens before Feb will be incredible especially if it could possible be in concrete (sorry I couldn't resist the concrete thing). I know a lot of kids see that mo=monument and actually two high school kids were looking at it at fan fest and I pointed to a few of the old players and said that is some of those guys on that plaque.

I'm sure the 1st Sun Belt Championship in football will be a pretty big deal and this group has the opportunity to get it. The next group may be for a national title etc. O.K. maybe I stretched it a bit but hey who nows.
Back to the top

You may think I am crazy writing this but every cloud has a silver lining.

These blow outs have been embarrasing for the football players the alumni and the unverisity. Howard really wasn't worried at all about winning these.

The silver lining was these games were so lop-sided they ended up in news papers and sports magazines all over the country. Sports writers were in awe of this team getting beat up each week for 4 weeks. I would go to google to seach for stories on the most recent game and 15 to 20 different articles from all over the country would be in the search results. In almost every one Howard would be quoted as saying what his goals and plans for the team are and what the purpose of the tough schedule is. If the games had been closer, I think they would have gotten a mention and nothing more. Instead there were big long articles about this team getting beat up every week and what the purpose of all this was. Haveing the schedule ranked the 2nd toughest behind Notre Dame was good too.

Now cap all that work off with a conference victory. I think it was real important to win the first conference game to show what all that work amounted to. I hope it will be percieved by recruits that FAU has a coaching staff with a serious desire to build a winning program.

I hope recruits all over Florida and the country take notice to what going on down there and want to be part of it. This was great publicity and the team paid for the publicity with sweat and bruises. You can go to college next to the beach and play against some of the best football programs in the country.

FAU - THE REAL SLEEPING GIANT
Back to the top

Exactlly Illi, You got what the hell I was trying to say. Thank you its that whole big picture thing. ;D

Can you imagine the snowball affect - very 8-)
Back to the top

It does take special players to come here and be part of the initial building process - the on campus stadium will be the next step in helping build that championship team Schelly is talking about.

The players on the current roster are th new pioneers to what the Original players who started this program and that is to win the SBCC, if we do it within the next four years, (and will fall within that 4 year recruiting cycle) and each cycle will have produce results to help grow the program to the next level.
Back to the top
Control functions: