Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

McKinson finally not sucking...

He also ran for two touchdowns two weeks ago…..anyone wish we had him back now?

Rams top Sacramento City
Fresno City wins fourth straight in final tuneup for conference play.

By Jeff Davis / The Fresno Bee

An hour before game time, Fresno City College coach Tony Caviglia predicted a "barn burner" for his team's game with Sacramento City.

A clich?? Coach speak? Sure.

Caviglia was rightfully nervous about this game against the state's No. 2-ranked defense.

But the Rams alleviated his worries by moving the ball with a balanced attack and showcasing their own defensive gem.

The result? Fresno City, ranked No. 6 in Northern California, beat No. 15 Sacramento City 28-20 Saturday at Ratcliffe Stadium in the final workout before the Valley Conference season.

The Rams (4-1) won their fourth straight against Sacramento City (2-3). Their lone loss came to No. 1 San Francisco, 34-31, three weeks ago.

"That San Francisco game was a real eye-opener for us," freshman defensive lineman Brandon Sharpe said. "It let us know we're one of the top teams, too."

It was Sharpe who came up with the biggest defensive play of the night. With under a minute left, he broke through the Panthers' line and hit quarterback Cal Midura as he was throwing. The ball floated up and fellow lineman Marcus Moore intercepted it at Fresno City's 42 to end Sacramento City's last threat.

"It was just a speed rush. I faked outside and got inside to hit him," Sharpe said. "I had a play like that against San Francisco, but he got the pass off for a touchdown. I wasn't going to let it happen again."

Linebacker Robert Booker delivered another key defensive play when he returned an interception 41 yards for Fresno City's last score of the first half.

"We're been working hard since last February and we're using everything we've learned from our coaches," he said.

The Panthers came in allowing only 187 yards and 13.5points per game. But the Rams had 220 yards by halftime en route to a 21-6 lead, the most points the Panthers had surrendered in a game this season.

Fresno City, which proved it could move the ball against a top team like San Francisco, finished with 362 yards, including 149 on the ground. The defense also showed it's among the state's best by limiting the Panthers to 194 yards, a big reason Fresno City owned a nearly 12-minute edge in time of possession.

Freshman quarterback McKinson Souverain, who is coming into his own, had a big night, completing 15 of 33 passes for 213yards and two touchdowns.

Tailback Xavier Hobbs rushed 23 times for 115 yards with a 1-yard touchdown that opened scoring.

Souverain threw scoring passes of 18 yards to Keston Cheathem and 44 yards to Zeb White, who had eight catches for 157yards.

"I just tried to get the ball out of my hands and into my receivers,' " Souverain said. "When I do that, they can make the plays and we can move the ball on anyone."
Back to the top

he still sucks, he is finding moderate success in JUCO. I wish him the best, but he was a distraction to our squad.
Back to the top

How do you figure he was a distraction? He was competing for a starting position just like all the other players who were recruited to play QUARTERBACK.

I'd still take Souverain as our starting QB over Uncle Rusty.

President of the No Homers Club. Keepin' it real since 2001.
Back to the top

15 for 33 is not good at any level.
Back to the top

Personally i wish we still had him as part of our arsenal of qb's
Back to the top

ha ha im not a hatchling anymore. ;D
Back to the top

yeah, your right, he wasn't a distraction. Poor choice or words. I dont want to get into the whole recruiting thing as to what he was told he would play, but fact of the matter is, he can not play qb at the D1 level. He is to small and lacks the ideal arm strength. I think he had a lot of ability and was probably the best athlete on the team. For his sake, as well as FAU's, I widh he would have realized his chances to develop at the next level are not at QB.
Back to the top

Nah, he doesn't suck….he's just a little above sucking now. He could still regress back to sucking, however. Uncle Rusty, on the other hand……still very much sucking.
Back to the top

Ok to set the record straight. McKinson was no joke coming out of high school. I mean the kid was all state and if i'm not mistaking player of the year at his level. The kid does have a cannon for an arm and actually looked really good in practice. The bottom line…he's way better than Rusty Smith. Maybe he wouldnt have been a QB at FAU…but yea, the kid was an awesome athlete. I mean, its not like he wouldve been the only ever player to come to a school as a QB and leave as an WR, Peter Warrick for example???
Back to the top

... how about Anquan Boldin? He seems to be doing pretty well with his position change.

President of the No Homers Club. Keepin' it real since 2001.
Back to the top
Control functions: