Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

From the University Press Online

I just got the University Press in my email tonight. Someone who still attends FAU needs to talk to this publication and straighten them out. I'm surprised someone from the university would write something like this.

This is a crappy article about the football program, much of it isn't true! >:(

FAU Football Fights to Stay D-1 as low Funds and Lackluster Game Attendance Looms

By: Jim Rutledge
Issue date: 10/4/06 Section: Sports

FAU football is dying, and it's going to need more than some rich boosters to save it.

The team's budget for this year is in the red by about $2.8 million. What's even more disturbing is that football is historically the moneymaker for universities. This forces the team to create a schedule that virtually guarantees a losing record. By scheduling perennial powerhouses like Kansas State, Oklahoma State, South Carolina and Clemson, FAU brings in $1.8 million simply for showing up to play.

Just for comparison, it should be noted that FAU's first game was against Clemson, who is running on a budget of almost $12 million in profits every year. How can we compete when our recruiting budget is in the range of $62,000 a year and our opponent's is $336,000?

To compound the problems facing FAU,the Sun Belt Conference is rated as the worst conference in college football, based on overall rankings of individual teams. The Owls have also been struggling with maintaining Division-1 status since moving up last year. The main requirement is to have an average attendance of 15,000 a game. Anyone who has actually attended an FAU game knows that we are not even close. We actually have never come close to reaching that.

Ultimately, what has helped us keep our D-1 status, are boosters like ADT and Balistreri Realty, who have bought the remaining tickets every season. The problem is that ADT's president, who purchased those tickets annually, has left the company, so there is no guarantee that ADT will buy any more tickets. Moving down to Division-2 status would be devastating for the university and could deliver a death sentence to the team.

FAU - THE REAL SLEEPING GIANT
Back to the top

What an A-HOLE!!! I am actually in shock believing this imbasole attends FAU. I wish I could crab this idiot by his geeky pencil neck and toss him out on the football field to be used for tackling practice. Hopefully someone that actually knows this dork will enlighten him to what is really going on.
Back to the top

you hit the nail on the head… this guy is probably a paper pushing nerd who doesn't know the first thing about football…
Back to the top

There are so many factual errors in that "article" (more than one per graph), that I don't know where to start. I hope the athletic department demands a retraction.
Back to the top

The student paper will reach far more people than this board. We should send in letters to the editor to counter this. The author may just be fishing for a reaction (as we've been the victim of so many times).
Back to the top

The reaction should end up with his head in the business end of a toilet bowl! ;D
Back to the top

In other universities, when someone pisses off the alumni, its considered serious. We need to let the administration know that this pisses us off. Of course this guy might get a feather in his cap from his friends for pissing us off.

FAU - THE REAL SLEEPING GIANT
Back to the top

You can post your comments directly on the article:

Link
Back to the top

Plain and simple - What an ass!!!
Back to the top

I posted on the site. Anyone else?
Back to the top