Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Brogan threatens to disband student government

Add topic

Sun-Sentinel article
Palm Beach Post article

"I am extremely disappointed with student government's continued lack of respect, professionalism and commitment to representing the entire student body of FAU," Brogan wrote, adding that the group's actions "have caused significant embarrassment" to the university.

"I will tell you my frustration is not a bluff," Brogan said. "If we do not see something better by way of student government, then I have no other choice than to take action. Serious action."

Brogan's concerns include:

? The mishandling of student government elections resulted in a three-month vacancy in the offices of president and vice president.

? School and police investigations into the handling of a $15,000 Barnes & Noble gift card program sponsored by student government where student applications were falsified.

? An estimated $63,000 budget cut by student government to Owl Radio and the failure of student leaders to hire a manager for the station. Radio station employees have not been paid for several weeks.

"Enough is enough," Brogan said. "I am tired of the lip service I'm receiving from SGA."

Brogan said if student leaders do not comply promptly, he could take the almost unheard of action of dismantling the association.

"There is always what I consider the death penalty," Brogan said. "It's rare, but it has happened and that is the absolute closure of student government, and a re-creation of it entirely."
Back to the top

As a student I personally hope he dismantles it entirely. Hopefully putting some kind of stipulation that those who are currently serving will have to wait a certain period of time before becomnig part of the NEW SG. There is no other way to get rid of the fraud and corruption in the SG besides starting fresh and that includes not allowing those who are current participents of SG to be allowed to take part, atleast initially.
Back to the top

Does anyone think there will be charges filed?

FAU - THE REAL SLEEPING GIANT
Back to the top

illinoisowl said

Does anyone think there will be charges filed?

If he did it, which I imagine he did, I hope they do. Did you hear the latest about the test prep scholarships that they were supposed to be giving out to students but the majority went to SG members? It was in the UP, I believe this last week.
Back to the top

I hope they overhaul the entire SGA. I knew there was tons of corruption going on, but I had no idea of the dollar amounts the SGA was "in charge" of. I'm glad Brogan put his foot down. Yet another reason why he is The Man at FAU.

President of the No Homers Club. Keepin' it real since 2001.
Back to the top

How long has this been going on? If there is even rumors of fraud, I would think Brogan would step in right away.

Who in the chain of command is the SGA subordinate to? Are the trustess over the SGA or Universty President?

Back to the top

I believe the trustees are at the top of the pecking order. However, a representative of SGA sits on the BOT also I believe.
Back to the top

My wife used to work for student government when we were students (just a four yrs ago). She quit because of all the corruption, and is not surprised by this at all. There used to be SGA members who had their intials on their own "private" golf cart to drive around school. Both of us think Brogan should disband SGA and start all over again.
Back to the top

If there is corruption going on. All those involved should be brought up on charges PERIOD. There is no room for this kind of dishonesty in the SG.
Back to the top

As an alumnus, this makes my blood boil. I work for a very large Fortune 100 company. With all the corporate fraud and corruption in the news, this company has a zero tollerance policy. We just let a few guys go that did something illegal. It didn't cost anyone any money, no one got hurt, no losses. It was illegal, thats all that mattered. They guys had been with the company many years.

I can't believe that this is in everyone's face and nothing has been done up to this point. If people are abusing the system, get them out of there! >:( Who do I need to call or write?

Back to the top
Control functions: