Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Pregame Thoughts - FAU vs SUU

FAU is back playing 1-AA football :o this week after a little siesta break sunning our feathers. We our facing a common opponent with the Thuderbirds that we faced with the Warhawks last week.

With all these birdies playing each other thank god there are no Amber Kitties around as Ted ;) calls our opponents due south of us.

What should we expect from the Thurderbirds - the same type of offense the Warhawks uses. So, defensively speaking the Owls should be very well prepared for SUU this week.

So, we will start the process with the defense this week.

On defense: With a solid effort against ULM and we can't forget the not so stellar tackling preformance, we can expect the defensive unit to redeem themselves against Thunderlessbirds in that department. So in essense, the Defense had plenty of time to prepare for SUU offense and with minor adjustments and time to correct what went wroung against ULM, I can see us having a strong preformance from our Defensive unit on Thursday. If the Defense plays a strong game, SUU should have a hard time scoring TD's - however, because of the offensive schemes they use, big plays will be there and it will come down to the Owls limiting and containing big plays. The Thunderbirds will probably get some good numbers in the yardage department, which won't necessarily means points on the board, which is a good thing - I will go on record and say that this may be the first game this year we do not give up an offensive TD. 8-)

On Offense: I would like for us to establish a consistent grove on offense, something you can't elude if it has never materialize in quite some time. This is a prefect opportunity for the offense to find its rhythm and crave itself a nice groove and gain some confidence moving the ball. I would expect for us to have a very similar game plan this week, from what we had a week ago.

Special teams need to continue to improve - period, Again this is a good week to make good things happen and improve in all areas.

This will be a very good week in Owl country and I do expect a big W on Thursday - One problem I see, is being able to finish the game strongly and the players being over confident. We need play hard and take care of business - good teams take care of business first and take care of weaker opponents.

Predictions: 38-9 FAU

Back to the top

Glad we concentrated this week on special teams and tackling - our two biggest holes in the nest.
We give SUU crummy field advantage, tackle and with a really good 2 weeks of rest we will be in good shape on Thursday for a shutout and continue the winning streak in front of our first hometown crowd !

We established the running game last week - let's focus a little more on the passing game and provide the kids some needed gametime experience and confidence.

Here's to 500+ offense yards this week,at least 1 -100 yard rusher and receiver for the game, minimal mistakes (no fumbles or stupid costly penalities) and keep SUU to under 200 offensive yards !

We can do it – Go OWLS !!
Back to the top

Bytor I agree and FAUFBL I don't think you will have anyone disagree with your post. I we continue to develop the rhythm that seems to have rooted itself in the4 ULM game I believe we can move the ball on the ground and give Sean the time he needs to find the receivers. Patience in the pocket will enable him to select the right target and not hurry to the first guy he sees open. It would be nice if he hooked up on a couple of long routes. Help spread the defense and open the game a little more. Hopefully the coach's will not break the rhythm bu doing musical QB's unless the score is FAU 30 SUU 6.

As far as the D FAUFBL covered it pretty good Tackling and add deep coverage.
Back to the top

We SHOULD cruise in this game. I'd to see us open up the offense some more by going vertical and establishing a strong running game. This is a key game for building momentum through October and beyond.

By the way it's Thoughts, not Toughts…. Yea, I'm a spelling Nazi, it's what happens when you proofread a lot for a living…;)
Back to the top

As far as the tackling issue goes, it wasn't an issue in the first 4 games unless it just wasn't mentioned. What do we attribute it to in the ULM game, fatigue from too much travel? If that the case it should resolve itself this week and next with time off and no traveling.

FAU - THE REAL SLEEPING GIANT
Back to the top

Illi, it was an issue in the first four games, it just wasn't mentioned. I think the announcers would simply use the phrase "unable to stop them" instead of being specific. That kind of covered pass coverage, tackling etc. Like I said before I felt that Schnelly was building depth, something that was not existent last year. A ton of fresh faces and for some it was the first time in college football. Each week you saw more and more replacements entering the game. I truly believe he did that by design. If the other team was doing it so would we. Why not give as many people as you can the opportunity to gain even a single down of experience.

When I watched the USC game I really tried to figure out what was happening. Work in as many people as you can to give them the experience. What I felt was a big stumbling block was timing on the offense and coverage on the defense. To sum it up the offense had to find that rhythm and the D had to learn how to disrupt it. Playing together as a team they are developing very well and you can see it each week.

Are they gong to win the rest of there games this season? That will have to wait until the end of the season. They possibly could but they are still putting the team together and they are doing one week and one game at a time.
Back to the top
Control functions: