Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Sun Belt Champs

Any of you old timers remember the '69 Mets?
Remember what that was all about!

I think these guys can do it. They just need to focus and believe in themselves.

Like the Mets ace relief pitcher, Tug McGraw, used to say "you gotta believe"

FAU - THE REAL SLEEPING GIANT
Back to the top

Sun Belt Champs

Whoa, whoa, WHOA!!! Slow down there Illinois!!! While I admire your enthusiasm, don't you think you're getting a little ahead of yourself? I would love to see FAU win the Sun Belt and play in the New Orleans Bowl, but don't go drinking the KoolAid just yet.

The Owls looked OK in the win against ULM, although the defense was a bit suspect at times. And yes, FAU handled Southern Utah, but they are a I-AA school, and not a top-tiered one at that.

I'm not trying to rain on anyone's parade, but please hold off on any championship talk until AFTER we beat a good team. Please?

President of the No Homers Club. Keepin' it real since 2001.
Back to the top

Sun Belt Champs

Oh no, we have a doubting thomas among us. :-[

Schnelleberger didn't blow any sunshine up the players butt when they played those BCS teams. Howard calls it like it is. He is on record as saying they weren't going to win. His goal is to win the SBC.

Canadian, If I'm wrong, I'm wrong and I will let you be the first one to tell me. If you fly up here I will pick you up at the airport just so you can tell me. In the mean time I am pulling to the Owls to reach their goal with you or without you.

You're too young to remember the '69 Mets. They were everyone's pick of who would not be in the world series in 1969. They had weak hitters, the had mostly unknown players, no proven anything. They won the world series despite everyone saying they wouldn't, couldn't, can't.

FAU - THE REAL SLEEPING GIANT
Back to the top

Sun Belt Champs

Not a Doubting Thomas, just a realist. So again, don't you think you're getting ahead of yourself?

Yes, I know Schnelly's goal is to win the Sun Belt. Shouldn't that be FAU's goal EVERY season? Beating up on a I-AA team, as we were expected to, should give us some confidence. It shouldn't say we are now favorites to win the Sun Belt.

I'm just trying to keep you from going off the deep end if FAU doesn't win the Sun Belt.

President of the No Homers Club. Keepin' it real since 2001.
Back to the top

Sun Belt Champs

So far, except for the close ULM match, the game results have been exactly what has been predicted. ULM is a good barometer for us, but every SBC game will be a battle. The conference may end up with a similar result to last year when three teams were tied. Even the teams with the worst overall records, Troy and FIU, have played some of the most competitive games of anyone in the conference (vs. FSU and USF, respectively). I don't think the SBC will see a team dominate like UNT used to for a long time.

That being said…

We're undefeated in conference play… let's make it to New Orleans AND SHOCK THE WORLD!
Back to the top

Sun Belt Champs

Sun Belt Champs

CanadianOwl said

Yes, I know Schnelly's goal is to win the Sun Belt. Shouldn't that be FAU's goal EVERY season?

I remember when the program was starting up and Schnellenberger say that our goal was to win the national championship and nothing less. He took a lot of criticism but has still stuck to that comment. He said that aiming for anything less would be a waste of time, resources, and taxpayer money… and he's right!
Back to the top

Sun Belt Champs

The goal every year should be to win the SBC Title, we have played better and have continued to improve every week, but there is still plenty of room to improve. We have not played any dominating football, except the SUU game where the team did what they had to do against a weaker opponent. What we do have in our favor is we are playing three very important games at home - ULL, ASU & Troy. So, the next four game , the Smurf Puppies (undefeated in SBC play) becomes the defining moment.

Can this team handle the pressure because every week during the four game stretch is very improtant and the pressure will continue to build with each and every game. We can expect at least one lost during that stretch.

Scenarios for that 4 game series, Lets start with the best of all posibilities:

We go 4-0, then we are definetely in the driving seat
We go 3-1, the seat is still warm and have some control
We go 2-2, makes thing more dificult and things become more complicated (of course it depends what happens withion the rest of SBC play)
We go 1-3, no chance for a SBC Title
We go 0-4, :o then we know we have some work to do for next year.

The scary part is, all these scenarios are possible.

Will we be happy as fans if we go 2-2. I think we need to brace ourselves, because we are now enetreing the meat of our schedule and the race will surely be fun.

Go Owls!!
Back to the top

Sun Belt Champs

I BELIEVEEEEEEEEE
Back to the top

Sun Belt Champs

Any of the games could go our way. The team seems to have found some ability with the run game which is important. I think this team could end up spoiling some things in the SBC. I am not going to say that FAU will win the conference, but the team will shake things up. Lets take these games one at a time and focus on Wednesday night and the task at hand. If the team can do that each week, the pieces of the puzzle will fall into place. It is very simple. Go undefeated each week. GO OWLS!!!

2017 and 2019 Conference USA Champions
Back to the top

Sun Belt Champs

Bytor said

Can this team handle the pressure because every week during the four game stretch is very improtant and the pressure will continue to build with each and every game. We can expect at least one lost during that stretch.

That's the key right there bytor… can we handle, and more importantly perform, under pressure…

I ALSO BELIEVEEEEEE!! 8-)
Back to the top
Control functions: