Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Gameday papers

Gameday papers

From the palm beach post.
http://www.palmbeachpo…/10/18/a11c_fau_1018.html

From the Sun Sentinel
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/college/fau/sfl-spfau18oct18,0,2898812.story?coll=sfla-fau

Back to the top

Gameday papers

Here is the Sun-sentinel Article.

Owls have attention of nation, foe

By Ted Hutton
South Florida Sun-Sentinel
Posted October 18 2006

Florida Atlantic will find out where it fits in the Sun Belt Conference tonight, and so can the rest of the nation.

ESPN2 is broadcasting the Louisiana-Lafayette-FAU game, which kicks off at 7:30 at Lockhart Stadium, and it is the only Division I-A matchup on the schedule.

LocalLinks

"National TV is big time. You want to put your big-boy pants on and go show everybody what we have here," said FAU linebacker Cergile Sincere. "I'm excited. I can't wait."

The Owls (2-4, 1-0) will be facing the preseason pick to win the conference in the Ragin' Cajuns (3-2, 0-0), who have won three in a row.

FAU has a two-game winning streak after starting 0-4, and the players and coaches know this game will show them where they stand, as their six remaining games are all in the conference.

"If we can win against this good Sun Belt team it will give us proof we will be competitive with the balance of the league. That is a good place to be at this juncture of the season," FAU coach Howard Schnellenberger said.

Louisiana-Lafayette players are out to prove they deserve the preseason hype and welcome the chance to do it before a national TV audience, and to extract some revenge at the same time.

"We are excited about the TV, but we really are focused on winning this game. We could have gone to a bowl game last year, but one team stopped us," said Jason Chery, a wide receiver for the Cajuns who is from Delray Beach and played at Spanish River High.

Chery was referring to the Owls, who beat the Ragin' Cajuns in Lafayette. It was just one of the two wins the Owls had as they finished last in the Sun Belt, and it kept Louisiana-Lafayette in a three-way tie for the conference title and out of the New Orleans Bowl.

"This is the same team that came into our house and beat us last year," Ragin' Cajuns coach Rickey Bustle said. "We respect FAU very much."

One FAU player who will be trying to ignore the ESPN2 cameras is quarterback Sean Clayton.

"I haven't thought about it too much because I don't want to. It is a big thing for this program, and I don't want to screw up on national TV," Clayton said.

Sincere predicted those tuning in around the country would see a good game.

"This is the biggest game of the season. We win this game, we will be in the driver's seat," Sincere said. "We will be flying around out there."

Back to the top
Control functions: