Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

This weeks grades

Offense: D

Good job with the run, averaging about 4.5 per carry. Nice holes by the O-line. Good, solid play by both Sanchez and Pierre.

Extremely poor QB play. Too many turnovers and underthrown balls. Poor decisions all night. The only bright spot was Rusty's play on the last drive.

Receivers dropped too many balls and didn't make plays consistently.

Clock management was horrible. The team lost almost 30 seconds on the final drive by not getting out of bounds and then by not calling a time out. This really hurt.

Defense: A

Lights out all game long. The defense flew to the ball and forced turnovers by making big hits. Any defense that holds the opposing team to two fieldgoals has done their job. Great play all around.

Special Teams: C-

Nothing great, nothing terrible. Decent job in the punt game. The return game struggled especially with the personal foul on the fair catch late in the game.

Overall: C-

The defense brings up the grade with great play. If the offense improves this team should make some noise in the SBC. GO OWLS!!!

2017 and 2019 Conference USA Champions
Back to the top

This weeks grades

This weeks grades

Oops, I forgot about the blocked field goal...make the special teams grade a D. GO OWLS!!!

Back to the top

This weeks grades

Although i thought the Defense was very good, I don't think they deserve an A. Did you see the number of missed tackles. I felt that FAU should've stopped most of those long time consuming drives, that were eventuallys topped, earlier. Especailly the ones in the first half. So I'd give Defense A-.

The Offense was horrendous I saw sparks in Charles Pierre he had a very good ypc average. I'd stidck the with a D

Overall I'd say the Game was a C, brought up by the Defense.

I only wanted to say that about the Defense because if they dont' clear up soe of those missed tackles theuy will get burned sometime.
Back to the top

This weeks grades

I agree we really sucked when it came to tackling... this has been a problem all year... we need to work on this as well as our offense and we will be good...
Back to the top

This weeks grades

Thanks, for starting the Thread Owlfan1, I got in late last night and started the day way to early and have not had the chance to log on til later today.

I suppose this is a good as anyplay for me to express my toughts on yesterdays game, with out having to post in all the different threads and will serve as an overall view of the night.

Let's start with the grading of the teams preformance the way I see it:

Offense (Overall): Pick it C-, D+

Clayton still needs to be the man under center, he just had a bad, OK a very bad night which happens and unfortuately his timing for it wasn't the greatest, then again when is it ever a good day to have a bad night. There is a positive, even with the offense being as BAD as it was, we still had our chances and did absolutely nothing with them, reflection of earlier games this season. This team needs to learn to take advantage of opportunities, ULL surely did, as for Clemson, USC, Kansa St. blabh, blabh, blabh………. good teams do and some of the teams I listed aren't very good, yet found a way to getRdone. The offense needs to find some attitude - they need to take a lesson from our Defense in that department.

Passing: C-

Interceptions, over throwing and under throwing OPEN receivers :P Clayton just was not prepared :'( Smithy :-X

Rushing: C+, B-

A bright spot.

More on our offensive woes later.

Defense: A

They where terrific, sure they made some mistakes here and there, but lets' be honest we where facing a QB that has won the SBC player of the week for 3 straight weeks, for a reason, good players will make plays, but our defense held when they had to - if it wasn't for the TV time outs our Defense would have runned out of gas. They played way to long in the first quarter alone and the TV time outs saved them all night, with absolutely no help from the offense >:(

The defense played the best game so far and truely exceeded my expectations, I felt this was going to be a slug fest in the making, yet they kept a very potent offense grounded, two thumbs up here.

Special teams: C

Nothing to special here, YES that missed field goal came back an bit us in the rear end. Some areas have greatly improved, yet some are the same, pathetic. Kicking tryouts at the Public's parking lot Tomorrow 5:00AM.

Coaching: B-

An A+, goes the Hoza and staff, great game plan, aggressive defense. I like it. Tackling 101 is starting to pay off.

A C—–, for Nord and staff. I understand some recievers where injuried, but my problems lies with the game plan and execution. You are facing a Team that is ranked 10th in Rushing Defense and 107th in passing Denfense, hhmmm what to do, I know lets run the ball. This had to be the most conservative game we played on offense to date, just horrible play selection. The opposing defense where all lined up within 10 yards of the line of scrimmage, how do you not make any adjustments during the game and especially at the half. Who is up in the booth and what game are they watching, maybe they where wacthing the Mets & Cardinals game instead :(

Did I already mentioned the QB's where horrible in this game.

Now that I vented a bit, this was great game and must give props to ULL's Defense, they played a very good game and could have helped in creating some of our offensive woes. The biggest point that we need to focus on is, we now know where we stand as a team and we need to feel good about our team. Yes, the offense was weak, but what did you expect, let's rewind a bit and look how pathetic we looked on offense during the first four games. We have to expect some inconsistences on offense during the season and yesterday happens to one of those days that remind us of that, even after some good games and we will see other lackluster games form our offense this season.

This team is making progress and have come a long way since the Clemson game and the season is about making adjustments.
We now have 10 days to get ready for ASU, how will this team bounce back for a very tough loss?

Back to the top

This weeks grades

Bytor,
I agree about the gameplan not being the best. One thing I noticed is that FAU ran the ball pretty well, but only ran it about 20 times. We should have continued to grind away at the defense and use the power run. Screens and short passes to the backs should have been utilized a little more as well along with getting the TE involved earlier.

Although the defense played great, the team as a whole has a lot of improvements to make by next game. Lets hope our offense can get some points on the board. GO OWLS!!!

Back to the top

This weeks grades

Bytor,
Let me clarify my previous post. I didn't like the game plan either, but I don't think we ran enough. The backs only had the ball for a total of 18 rushes. They averaged about 4.5 per carry. They should have seen the ball more especially since the pass wasn't working. The team has slowly started to develop a run game and it doesn't matter if ULL was ranked 10th against the run on paper. We ran the ball well against them. I think the game plan should have included more runs. I also didn't like the QB draws that we were running. The backs should have seen the ball 25-30 times as opposed to only 18. GO OWLS!!!

Back to the top

This weeks grades

I agree that the running game was effecttive, but you have to take advantage of the other teams weakness which is part of having a game plan, then again the way the QB's where playing yesterday might have reflected on the conservative play calling, so me being highly critical of the coaches might have been a little harsh. Execution is the players responsibility.

Yes, there is room for improvement and the team has done that every week, unfortunately the offense took a step back this week and that will happen during the course of a season.

ASU is another game.
Back to the top
Control functions: