Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Fans??

I can understand the rationale for loading up the visitors side of the stadium with students, however, if it ever happens again I think I'll just wait till morning and read about the game in the Sun-Sentinel.

The only thing worse than the performance of the Offense last night was the performance by the "students".

As my screen name implies, I can remember when gas was 25 cents a gallon. I also remember when students actually would attend a game, watch the game, cheer for their team and treat other fans with respect.

Deprived of beer by government officials in the parking lot, they appeared hell bent on making up time in the stands. "lets go owls" and "deeeefense" were replaced with "#28 you suck" and #18 your mother is a whore", nice eh? Stadium staff who tried their best to politely point out their boorish behavior were reminded of their own lot in life and that they made minimum wage. Classy eh?

Please spare me the witty retorts this post may generate. I know it's not opera. As a season ticket holder in section 122, I've been at every game since opening season with cow bell in hand and cheering as loud as anyone. I just like to enjoy the game without having to be embarrassed and enoyed by my fellow "FANS".
Back to the top

Fans??

OldOwl said

I can understand the rationale for loading up the visitors side of the stadium with students, however, if it ever happens again I think I'll just wait till morning and read about the game in the Sun-Sentinel.

The only thing worse than the performance of the Offense last night was the performance by the "students".

As my screen name implies, I can remember when gas was 25 cents a gallon. I also remember when students actually would attend a game, watch the game, cheer for their team and treat other fans with respect.

Deprived of beer by government officials in the parking lot, they appeared hell bent on making up time in the stands. "lets go owls" and "deeeefense" were replaced with "#28 you suck" and #18 your mother is a whore", nice eh? Stadium staff who tried their best to politely point out their boorish behavior were reminded of their own lot in life and that they made minimum wage. Classy eh?

Please spare me the witty retorts this post may generate. I know it's not opera. As a season ticket holder in section 122, I've been at every game since opening season with cow bell in hand and cheering as loud as anyone. I just like to enjoy the game without having to be embarrassed and enoyed by my fellow "FANS".

Sorry if that's the way you feel. I was up in the student section in the northwest end of the stadium and it was a damn good time. We got pretty into it with the defense and offense cheers. Although I am sure you wouldnt appreciate the occasional "Defense… F 'em up" cheer.
Back to the top

Fans??

cry me a river...with all due respect.....go to Michigan Stadium..where you have 117,000 screaming fans..trust me they are not all yelling GO BLUE.....it happens....just enjoy the game and ignore it! as the last post says...its a DAMN good time....and i think that the players out there get a rush from the insults...i did when i was out there...makes you work harder...as long as the stands are safe...all i care about!
Back to the top

Fans??

The game should provide a nice family atmosphere to all fans. People complain about poor attendance and talk about promoting family packages and such. What parents want to bring their young children to a game where they have to sit next to drunk fans spewing profanity?? I am a not so old owl and I don't have any kids, but I can sympathize with OldOwl. There is no reason that people have to result to profanity at a ballgame. Fans should be good sports as well.

As for the cry me a river crap, I have been to plenty BIG 10 games, SEC games, SBC games, 1-AA games, etc. and I know that all teams have roudy, obnoxious fans. I think OldOwls point is that it becomes a problem when fans are more concerned with drinking and being obnoxious than with enjoying the game.

GO OWLS!!!

2017 and 2019 Conference USA Champions
Back to the top

Fans??

owlfan...i meant no disrespect..i was just giving my opinion...perhaps you should join us over there...because your being quite profane yourself...anyway...im sry if i offended anyone..i didnt hear anyone refer to anyones mom as a whore...i dont condone that...HOWEVER...saying someone sucks isnt so bad...When you boo someone...your pretty much doing the same! its college!
Back to the top

Fans??

I was on the visitor sideline and I heard some of the chants. I personally wasn't offended, and the "You Suck" stuff has become so common, I can't see it offending, but the use of other profanities is crossing a line with children in the area. But this is a problem at very sporting event. There is always going to be some portion of people there that drink too much and become obnoxious. I don't know what the solution is, but I hope they keep everyone on the sidelines because the atmosphere was much better. I guess if it were up to me, i'd rather deal with profanity than the silence of an empty stadium.

But if people are using inappropriate language, I suppose the best solution would be to find people who work for the university and have them deal with it. As OldOwl points out, the paid security isn't very effective.
Back to the top

Fans??

FAU82 said

owlfan…i meant no disrespect..i was just giving my opinion…perhaps you should join us over there…because your being quite profane yourself…anyway…im sry if i offended anyone..i didnt hear anyone refer to anyones mom as a whore…i dont condone that…HOWEVER…saying someone sucks isnt so bad…When you boo someone…your pretty much doing the same! its college!

I am being profane?? What are you talking about?? Are you sure you read my post??

I do not know exactly what OldOwl was referring to in terms of exactly what people said. All I am saying is that if it was as bad as he indicates, it should stop.

GO OWLS!!!

Back to the top

Fans??

Fans??

Oldowl, All I can say is its a different generation.
I got a University Press Online email about a month ago with an article from a female student talking about "Eye F#@*".
That rather suprised me and I am quite suprised that publication made it out the door.

I do feel where young kids are present in the stadium, profanity is a problem.

FAU - THE REAL SLEEPING GIANT
Back to the top

Fans??

I can understand if you have been a season ticket holder and don't like the student section being moved to what was a formerly calm and quiet section. You should take that up with the ticket office and see what they can do to get you out of the fray. For that matter they should designate certain areas of the stands a "family friendly" or "quiet fan" areas so that people that just want to sit and quietly take in a game can do so and not be disturbed or insulted by obnoxious fans.

I don't scream profanities but I am a very loud fan and always make as much noise as possible when the defense is on the field. I don't want to be given dirty looks by the people in front of me because they choose not to get as into it as I am. I felt I should clarify since I saw you use the "Opera" in your post. ;)
Back to the top

Fans??

owlcoholic,
I like the idea of a family friendly section. I did not realize that the move of the student section put the students right in the lap of season tickets holders. GO OWLS!!!

Back to the top
Control functions: