Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Clayton at QB

Clayton at QB

Ok here's the deal.

There's got to be something wrong with the coaches at FAU right now. They need to stick with clayton at QB and stop putting in uncle Rico. I understand that Clayton may not have had the best half in the ULL game, but that's no reason to replace him at for an entire half. What kind of message does that send your QB, the coaches want him to be confident, but how can that be acomplished if you're worried every time you make a bad pass you're gonna be benched. The coaches lost that game last wed. by taking Clayton out and putting Rusty in. We only had one possesion in the first half so technically they let clayton play one quarter and then took him out. Also, Rusty smith had two, count them two, receptions the entire second half until the last drive, and the coaches refused to take him out. If you aske me these coaches are the reason we lost wed.
Back to the top

Clayton at QB

Welcome to the board LazerNinja.

There where many reason why we lost on Wednesday and the play at QB was one of those. I can understand the reason that Schnelly pulled Clayton for Rusty, yet I think that Clayton did deserve a chance to come back in at one point during the game, sometimes you need to find a way to jump start a stalled offense. This can develop into an on going discussion and did Clayton get pulled to early? I do believe he should have had the chance to start the second half as our starter. As fans we do not know exactly why the move was made, maybe the coaches saw something we cannot see from the blenchers, but is evident on the sideline, hard to say. IMO, the offense just was not prepared, which could have been a combination of the OL & WR adjustment that took place leading up to the game.
Back to the top

Clayton at QB

Count me in Clayton's corner. This guy has taken a beating in the early games. (Both guys have, actually; count more than the sacks, hurries, etc. Count the intimidation of bigger and faster defensive linemen, etc.). I think Clayton needs some completions (with a newly adjusted O-line that must come together quickly). Each time he has strung together a little success, his confidence has climbed, and he has done a pretty good job. Perhaps I am too patient, but I do remember this remains a very young team. I remain mystified by the ULL game, other then the explanation about the last-minute shifts in personnel along the O-line. It seemed to me (from my TV vantage point) that Clayton was under throwing, almost into the ground. All in all, I like this better than overthrowing (a problem for many rookie NFL QBs) because it causes fewer INTs, tipped balls and so forth. But what I like most, of course, is completions. If he gets the chances (a little better blocking, good game plan, good receivers), I think he will do well. Anyone who forced himself to stand in during games 1-4 certainly has character. Character and a few completions (even another good run or two) bring confidence. Confidence and talent (which he obviously has) produce victories. It will be interesting to see what the coaches try to do against Arkansas State. As best I can determine, the team's backs are against the wall if they wish to have any legitimate chance of winning the Sun Belt. Win this one, and fight another day. Lose this one and play for the pride of a spoiler – and pray for next year. Let's hope a Saturday afternoon game brings out some rabid FAU fans.
Back to the top

Clayton at QB

GrayOwl, hard to disagree, Clayton should be our QB, he has shown more poise up to this point then Rusty from the first game.
Wednesday night, might have prove to much for him (& the offense), National TV, big conference game against the preseason favorite, the juggling of the OL & injuries at WR - a closer look, the offense in general had at lot to overcome in a short weeks of preparation.

And everyone is entitled to have a bad game and even so, we still had our chances to put some points on the board, way to many mistakes to overcome. I am more concerned how the team will respond to this loss, yet I am confident that the team will respond, they have shown heart in never giving up regardless of all the bad that happen during the game. ASU will be a tough game, then again the next three will be equally tough.

The pressure continues to build and good team thrive on it.

Back to the top

Clayton at QB

Thanks, Bytor. I don't mean for my enthusiasm for Clayton to be criticism, though, for Smith. I think he is a talented young man, though I worry about the delivery style. He has a strong arm and, I think, pretty good judgment. But, as mentioned before, he is a young part of a very young team. I certainly am not in agreement with those who are overly critical of him. And I do think he is a worthy backup for Clayton this year. That said, I think this year is Clayton's year.
Back to the top
Control functions: