Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Pregame Thoughts - FAU vs ASU

Well it's that time again, where I try to break down the upcoming game against stAte.

What does ASU being a favorite by 8 pts on the road, really mean? This is a conference game and ASU one of the leaders of the pack, holding a 3-0 record in the SBC standings. Impressive, what is impressive is their running attack and our defense will continue to have their hands full for yet another game.

This will prove to be a very difficult game for the Owls, if the offense decides to head to south beach for another siesta. Has our depth on the OL been exposed after losing two players from the line, where we have to do a musical chair act to see who lines-up where.

If the Owls are serious about competing for the SBC title then it starts by winning at home, home games are so critical in conference play. So we now stand at 1-1, flopping a road win with a home loss. Our race for the Title is not over, but in could be on Saturday if the Owls don't fight for a W. As big of a game ULL presented itself to be last week, playing the conference pre-season favorite on national TV, it doesn't come close to how big our next game is, this game will define our season. Don't mean to add any pressure on the team, but reality says, this is a BIG conference game and a MUST win game if we are to be contenders, instead of pretenders.

You got to love conference play, something we have not had the pleasure of having since joining the SBC, having games that mean something. The players have to be able to handle the added pressure that comes with important games like we are about to play on Saturday.

What's for dinner: Crab legs, fries & of course - some Heine's.

So, with out any further jabbering, I think I'll start boiling some water.

On with the Defense: With the stellar play of the defense last week in creating some confusion in the ULL offensive attack last week, there still is room for improvements. As far as I can tell, this units has done just that every week, with the most inspirited effort last week. Well, can this unit play an encore, because we will need every bid of it and more. The Indians success come from the ground, with two freshmen leading the way. Their QB, Leonard is a gamer and tends to make mistakes, under pressure, so creating pressure in the back field will be key to disrupting any rhythm the Indians may find on offense, if we don't, it could be a long day in Owl Country. They will have success moving the ball, but if the defense can contain the running attack, then we shut down their offense, much like we did with ULL.

Too much to ask for a young unit? Ah, yes time to put the crabbies in.

On Offense: Clayton didn't handle the pressure of last weeks game so well, so how will he handle the added pressure of this weeks game. Clayton will need help from the OL and the coaching staff in coming up with a game plan that best uses the strength of not only Clayton, but the other part of the offensive team - WR, TE & TB. Something happens, the playing calling had been terrific and the offense found things that where working and we went away from - what was working!! Pierre doesn't need a stellar day running the ball, but merrily be effect, much like Clayton. Protecting the pigskin is a must if we have any chance on Saturday. We where very fortunate to still be in the game last week with all those turnovers, this week we may not be so lucky.

Oops, almost forget the fries.

The Special teams: Not so special after all. I would love to see us kick a ball thru the upright, best if its was for an extra point.

Time to sound the dinner bell.

Points will be scored and the offense will have to provide it's best effort of the year if we are serious contenders. Asking to much for a young team, coached by Schenlly, NO way. I look for the offense to rebound and give us a solid effort, with the defense just providing enough stops for a W.

And who can forget desert - Chocolate swirl cheesecake.

Prediction: FAU 28 - ASU 27.

Back to the top

Bytor, I like your menu, as well as your prediction. In this game – you're right about the importance – I would hope for a simpler game plan, perhaps with a trick or two. I think Clayton is too good to have successive subpar games. However, I would hope the team can build his confidence by leaving him in a little longer. I noticed in the Jonesboro Sun article that ASU is having trouble with its kicking game, having changed the holder for this week. This would seem an invitation for heavy pressure. I just have a feeling, too, that McGahee (sprained ankle and all) might have shaken off a bit of the injury rust. Pierre continues to improve and, with a block held a little longer here and there, could break a big one or two. He is a very fast guy. As you point out, the previous game stories and stats suggest that the ASU QB is talented, but can be prone to mistakes. Pressure, pressure – and a lot of that has to come from solid down field coverage. As for the prediction of FAU, 28-27, I worry that the Owls won't get that far. I would very happily settle for FAU, 21-20. I think it will be close enough that team discipline will be critical. I hope we let the other guys take those 15-yarders. This has a lot to do with thinking, respect for one's self and respect for one's teammates. However, even with the O Line getting closer to full strength, I worry about blocking asignments. By the way, what's the weather forecast?
Back to the top

I have done my homework and I think I am now ready to make my weekly fearless prediction.

On offense, I think the Owls will come out hungry after a poor showing last week. The extra time off should do the offense some good. I do not expect them to light up the scoreboard, but I do think that they will put some points on the board. I look for a balance between the pass and run with a few twists thrown in. I expect Clayton to work the intermediate routes well and get the TE's involved early and often.

Arkansas State averages 18 points per game with scores spread evenly from 1st quarter to 4th quarter. I do not expect them to jump out to a big lead early in the game. That bodes well for this young FAU team that fairs best when they can hang around until late in the game. ASU has been far more successful on the ground this year than through the air. I look for them to try to continue pounding the ball. The past few games they have averaged well over 200 yards per game on the ground. The FAU defense will have to continue to develop. I like the play from last week and I think FAU will bend and give up yards, but the defense won't break.

All in all I look for a fairly low scoring game with special teams possibly being the difference.

My fearless prediction: FAU 20 ASU 17 GO OWLS!!!

2017 and 2019 Conference USA Champions
Back to the top

My fearless prediction after no homework, as none was needed, ASU 35 FAU 7.
Low scoring… that is kinda funny where did you do your homework at? Our QB is the best in the belt he was recruited by Spurrier, our RB is one of the best Freshman RB in the nation(check the stats), Oren O' Neal is gimpy but is a FB with pro potential if he can stay healthy! Oh, I almost forgot our defense is one of if not the best in the belt. With that bieng said, I hope both sides stay injury free.
Back to the top

Check your stats. ASU averages 18 points per game scoring evenly throughout all four quarters with season totals at right about 30 points per quarter. Which means that ASU scores less than 5 points per quarter per game. five points times four quarters equals 20 points per game. Although the true average is 18 per game. Check the stats from ASU's website, do the math, and get back to me. GO OWLS!!!

Back to the top

Let me present you with another stat. Your QB is passing for 54% and he has 4tds and 4 ints. Not too good despite your contention that he is the best in the SBC. By your standards FAU's QB Clayton is right up there as well and I will be the first to say that he is not playing very well at all.

I will admit that ASU has improved its offense that last few weeks and put more points on the board than earlier in the season. The bottom line is still that ASU averages 18 points per game. That isn't quite a high powered attack. GO OWLS!!!

Back to the top

I wasn't questioning the authenticity of the stats, I just can't believe you believe that you think we will only score 17 points. I highly doubt that FAU's defense is along the lines of OSU. The last two games we have scored 55 points combined against UM and NT, we also put up 31 on FIU. As of late or team has been functioning on all cylinders , and I will give you a cookie if we don't score at the very least 28
Back to the top

Also, we were fighting with OSU the whole game. They never pulled their starters and they ran the score up a little bit at the end. OSU had you'll down 41-0. We also gave them freebies like on the first offensive drive we fumbled on a simple handoff. At that time we also hadnt decided which QB was better and that also hurt us. For kicks check out our D, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yP_DlgO7sU4
Back to the top

I remember last week that ULL fans where predicting a walk in the park type of games against us and look what happen, we shut down their offense down, miscues and a very bad INT call gave them their only points of the games. They predicted that their high powered offense would put the game awaybefore half time.

This will be a close and hard found game, he who makes the less mistakes will probably come out on top, unless we turn the ball over five times , then the game will have the potential of turning ugly. Don't be surprised if our D gives your offense a hard time.
Back to the top

Also if you havent seen the Memphis Miracle please check it out, it was amazing and even more in person. Our announcers are kinda funny ;D

ERROR: A link was posted here (url) but it appears to be a broken link.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-7411674188428603123
Back to the top
Control functions: