Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Pregame Thoughts - MTSU vs FAU

We are faced with yet another game where the pressure increases another notch, like Coach S mentioned, we are now in a playoffs type of situation - a loss and the Race to NO is over, win and the gumbo is still waiting for us in NO.

We play a team that feed off the bottom feeders for their first three games and played a common opponent in the the Cajuns last week in a very good win for the Smurfs Puppies, on the road.

The Raiders appear to be a different team with Stockstill at the helms, in the past they founds ways to lose and also founds way to implode as the season progresses, this has yet to happen so far this season.

The Owls on the other hand have shown tremendous growth on defense, with the offense still trying to find itself but made great stride last week with solid play, the question now is can they follow last week game with a second solid effort.

On Defense:

Have they found truly found themselves, they have played very physical and delivered huge hits and played dominating type of defense. Can they keep it up. The way this group of players have been playing at this point of the season could make a huge difference and help give this team the lift it needs to finish the season on a high note.

What the defense will be facing is a team that is lead by passer, that has very good accuracy, in Marks. They play a style similar of offense, so the defense should know what to expect from the Raiders offensively.

This game will be about match-ups. Our DL will have to win the battles up front and continue to put pressure on Marks or he will get yardage in the air, and some big plays will be there. This game will be determined with who wins the battles in the trenches.

On Offense:

We need to protect the footabll at all cost. Clayton needs to have another effective day making good decisions and be smart will the pigskins. Establish the running game will be key to the success we have moving the ball, if we can establish the run and pass now and then, we will have a succesfull day. If the game gets out of hand, then I don't think we will have the fire power to play catch-up. The OL has found a way to playing better without two major players in the line-up, they will need to continue the phgysical game they brought during last weeks game.

Special Teams:

Will need another solid preformance and could be the most important aspect of the game on Saturday, that could give us the edge we need for a victory. We will need special play from this unit, lets see if they can upgrade their B+ preformance from last week.

Overall, this should be a very physical and defensive game. Both teams are playing solid ball, so I can see this being a very well played game on both sides and the turnovers will determine the winners. FAU cannot allow itself to be caught in a shoot-out, the defense will have to have it's best game of the year (again).

Prediction: Yes, I will be a homer FAU 17 Smurfs 15 (missed 2pts conversion to tie the game)
Back to the top

My homework is done.

Clint Marks is having a decent year. He will be the key to the MTSU offense. Despite a good completion percentage of 60%, he has 7 tds to 6 ints. Not stellar. The MTSU is pretty balanced. The offense has thrown for about 1300 yards and run for about 1000. However, the run MTSU run game averages less than 4 yards per rush. I see the improving FAU defense stuffing the run and putting the pressure on Marks. Marks will either have to repsond by throwing TDs, or fold by throwing Ints. I think he will hit the endzone at least once this game, but I also think he will throw at least one Int.

On offense, FAU needs to establish the run early. Charles Pierre needs a big game for FAU to pull this one off. Establishing the run will help with the play-action, hopefully drawing the safety Nickson up so that he doesn't become a big factor. Clayton doesn't need to be stellar, he just needs to be good enough. That means move the ball and avoid turnovers. I see Pierre gaining 100+ on the ground with Sanchez adding another 40-50 tuff yards. Clayton should put up decent numbers.

This game comes down to the wire in a defensive battle with the FAU defense leading the way. A defensive score or points off of a turnover will be the deciding factor. FAU 19 MTSU 17…safety for FAU defense is the difference. GO OWLS!!!

2017 and 2019 Conference USA Champions
Back to the top

Is this our most important game since Colgate?
Back to the top

I personally think Hawaii was more important than Colgate. Hawaii put FAU on the map. Now to answer your question. YES. This is the most important game in FAU history. Since FAU is an upstart program, we are going to have games of great importance for the program almost every year until the program is really established. We will get to see FAU win its first conference championship, play in its first bowl, win its first bowl, win against a ranked team for the first time, be ranked for the first time, on and on. Isn't it great!!! This game is huge. If FAU wins, they become a legitimate contender for the SBC title and a legitimate 1-A program. GO OWLS!!!

Back to the top

owlfan1 said

I personally think Hawaii was more important than Colgate. Hawaii put FAU on the map. Now to answer your question. YES. This is the most important game in FAU history. Since FAU is an upstart program, we are going to have games of great importance for the program almost every year until the program is really established. We will get to see FAU win its first conference championship, play in its first bowl, win its first bowl, win against a ranked team for the first time, be ranked for the first time, on and on. Isn't it great!!! This game is huge. If FAU wins, they become a legitimate contender for the SBC title and a legitimate 1-A program. GO OWLS!!!

Very well put, this game will prove whether FAU is ready to play when the game means something. In our past we have been let down with the big game but with this defense this is the game for FAU to show we are the team to contend with.

I am very excited for this game and my new 50 inch tv gets hooked up Saturday morning…SWEET. ;D

GO OWLS!
Back to the top

dusky256fc said

owlfan1 said

Very well put, this game will prove whether FAU is ready to play when the game means something. In our past we have been let down with the big game but with this defense this is the game for FAU to show we are the team to contend with.

I am very excited for this game and my new 50 inch tv gets hooked up Saturday morning…SWEET. ;D

I am jealous, that is sweet!!! GO OWLS!!!

Back to the top

Let's not forget our receivers…Avery Holley is emerging and some others are doing well in routes…its just that the BALL NEEDS TO GET IN THIER HANDS….uh hem….

Anyway, these guys are getting better…sooo, dont be surprised if our breakout passing game is this weekend…its got to happen at some point…
Back to the top

Going into Hawaii though, it wasn't the most important game. i would say it's the most important win so far, but going into the game, we didn't consider it the most important game.

If we win this game, on the road, at a place we've won twice already, then the Troy game and every game if we keep winning becomes the biggest game in our history.
Back to the top

GhostOfBuchanan said

Going into Hawaii though, it wasn't the most important game. i would say it's the most important win so far, but going into the game, we didn't consider it the most important game.

If we win this game, on the road, at a place we've won twice already, then the Troy game and every game if we keep winning becomes the biggest game in our history.

Ghost, you might be right about the Hawaii game. I would argue that it was a pretty important game because it was televised and it did give FAU a lot of exposure. However, the truth is that the oucome of the game is what was really made the game an important game in FAU history.

We can also look back to the win against then #22 Bethune-Cookman in a downpour as being one of the biggest wins for FAU.

Five years from now we won't be talking about Saturday's game unless FAU wins. That is why I am focusing on the games that we have won in the past as being important for the program. We played Clemson, the game meant nothing except for a paycheck. However, had FAU won, that would have been arguably the most important game in FAU history. The thinig about the MTSU game is that is has huge implications whereas previous games haven't. I guess that is why this weekends MTSU game is the most important game in FAU history. GO OWLS!!!!

Back to the top

Does anyone have any updated information on any injuries we have going in to tomorrows game... are we at full strength and health?
Back to the top
Control functions: