Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Game Review - MTSU vs FAU

Still trying to recover from a self-inflicted headace ::)

So if I start to ramble and I am not making any sense, just skip ahead to the next reply.

Wacthing last night game brought some flash backs of the first four games, the self-inflicting wounds that just won't heal because we keep playing with the open sores thinking it's cool watching the puss run down :P

We had been playing fairly well as of late, maybe we found some comfort in the confidence we appeared to have found, especially on defense.

Losing to the Raiders will serve a purpose, just like our lost to the Cajuns and the tough OCC games. This was actually the first time this team has been through pressure type of games with every game being more important then the previous game, this could have proven to be to much for a young team to handle, the consolation prize, another building block put into place. This will help the team handle the pressure better next year when we are in the same situation - in the hunt for a Title and NO. bound.

Now the team can get back to the basics, without the additional pressure that was building with every game, they can now play more relaxed and just focus on the game itself without any additional distractions. The goal now is to get to .500 for the season, which is doable and would be very respectable, considering we where picked to finish 7th in conference and only win 1 game, the SAU game.

IMO, the talk of NO, started way to early, next time lets wait till we have most of our conference game under our belt and focus on each individual games instead. It does make for great conversation and creates some excitement, not that there anything wrong with that, but creates distractions, that a young teams does not need.

I will not even try to breaking down each individual units and scoring them, on account that every unit score about the same C and C-, the bad negated the good that was and an average score reflect the effort.

Sometimes you get more from a lost then a win, helps bring a sense of reality back into the picture and helps identify that we still have much to learn as a team and the growing process continues.

With Clayton's injury, Rusty will probably gets the start for the remainder of the season. Rusty has shown his arm strength and must now develop better decision making skills and the best way to do that, is to play. Rusty did a good job yesterday, the INT was not the game breaker, even thought it did come at a time that we could have gotten back into the game. They where to many others mishaps that sealed the Owls fate last night.

We need to learn to protect the ball better, period. In the games we protected the ball, we got W's, image that. IMO, NO was a bit of a stretch for such a young team, but did provide some invaluable experience for the players, hopefully it will help them build an appetite for NO during the off season.

We need to take care of business next week if we want to get to .500 for the season.

Back to the top

Bytor, I posted a grade card and I guess it was a way to release some emotions. I 100% agree these guys were looking ahead and got caught with there butts hanging out. I think that is easy to do when you've been getting the tar knocked out of you and then you start putting some things together and your emotions start to race. Youth again hit us between the eyes and they need to learn to focus on ever game they are about to play. At the end of the season if they are there great, then you play those games. When you start thinking your all that someone is going to test you and MTSU was up for the test by action and we were bumping our gums.

That to I give some blame to the coach's because its nice to what if but if they keep hearing it they need to make the talkers go to a couple of breakfast club meetings for a reality check. :(
Back to the top

Talon, it does help release some emotions.

I do think that yesterday was a reality check for the guys, they did not play with the same attitude or aggressiveness that they had started to play with, and it is hard to bring that type of game every week, but the mental mistakes that are still being made at this point of the season, should not be there if you are serious contenders - mental focus is part of the game and preparations.

Back to the top

Unfortunately I wasn't able to see the game. However, looking at the stats one thing jumps out at me. FAU averaged 2.3 yards per rush. MTSU averaged 7.5 yards per rush. OUCH!!! :-X

Anytime a team averages 7.5 yards per rush, they deserve to win. I do not know what happened to the run defense, but it wasn't there yesterday.

The positive from the stats is that FAU had 23 first downs and did pretty well passing the ball. Hopefully the run game can get back in gear and hopefully the run defense works out the kinks. GO OWLS!!!

2017 and 2019 Conference USA Champions
Back to the top

I still cannot believe we gave that game away. Our kids have played so hard this year, to give it away like this was nothing but heartbreaking.

If they went into that game confident they certainly do need their butts kicked. If they went into that game feeling scared, they need their butts kicked - along with some coaches - football 101. Do we have a sports psychologist ? If not, hire one !

We need an Extreme Makeover on Special Teams. This has been killing us all year - missed field goals that kill momentum and not being able to stop returns for excellent field advantage if not a touchdown. Come on coaches.

We also need to teach the offense how to tackle - we can't afford mistakes returned for touchdowns. With the unpredictability we have on offense, this is a required skill. Our inexperience as a team is exaggerated in situations like this.

Such a hearbreaker, but we still have alot left to fight for this season - to stay out of the bottom 100 at season end, the Shula Trophy and a .500 season !!!!!

The family and I will be at the game next week cheering very loud for our OWLS !!!!!!

GO OWLS !!!!!!

Back to the top
Control functions: