Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Football Revenue

Just saw on the Army-Air Force game tht the bottom five revenue producing D!A football programs are:

115. UL Monroe
117. UL Lafayette
119. FAU ($1,072,000)

Texas was number one with $53M, Georgia 3rd, Michigan 4th, and Florida 4th ($43M).
Back to the top

Football Revenue

You guys have got to remember the age of this program. In 1979 The U of M was going to shut down football and the rest is history. That program started as the U in 1926. Louisville was a struggling program for how many years and they just knocked off # 3 in the nation. We will get there this is a huge market and plenty to go around, but it will take some time.
Back to the top

Football Revenue

Is that mark the profit, or just the amount of money we brought in? I know that the first four games we played brought in more than that amount of money, so hopefully that's profit.
Back to the top

Football Revenue

They said it was total revenue. I bet it is basd on last year's revneues even though they didnt say that.
Back to the top

Football Revenue

I agree it will take some time. They did refernce that FSU was gong to do away with football, now look at how much revenue they generate, same for Miami. I think it says a lot that FAU does as much as it does as the last place revenue generating DIA team. Wait till next year. With the great, young defense, a young and maturing offense and a great QB waiting in the wings to be eligble next year, we'll see the revenues go up each of the next three years.
Back to the top

Football Revenue

That has to be last year just in OOC Games FAU brought in 1.8 Mil.
Back to the top

Football Revenue

Those numbers are revenue, not profit. In a recent ESPN Magazine article they went through the whole issue of revenue with college football and based on the findings, teams do not make money. Instead, they generally break even. They listed things like stadium renovations that for some teams cost more than $100 million. The thing is that lots of the money comes from donations. For example, Oklahoma State received a donation of $150 million from one booster. That money will be spent and then OSU will generate income of $150 million. The important thing to note is that schools do make money because they are generating income that offsets the expenditures of donations. Basically this means that donations shouldn't count in expenditures though they do help to create revenue. That is why teams like Texas, Michigan, Ohio State, Notre Dame, etc. always end up on the plus side. They might spend $50 million in a given year (50%) of which comes from doantions and then they generate $50 million. So even though they technically break even, they end up $25 million ahead since 50% of the investment was "free money." GO OWLS!!!!

2017 and 2019 Conference USA Champions
Back to the top

Football Revenue

OwlFan:

You nailed it…

If they were running teams like a business, responsible for profit, college football would be in trouble - PERIOD.
Back to the top

Football Revenue

Football Revenue

Florida_Owl said

OwlFan:

You nailed it…

If they were running teams like a business, responsible for profit, college football would be in trouble - PERIOD.

But in the whole scheme of things college football serves as a marketing tool for universities.
Back to the top

Football Revenue

I agree…was just pointing to the "balck and red" aspect of judgement…i understand it does alot more than just the bottom line revenue marker…

next year (when they report again), we will have over $3million i would specualte…taking us on up ther ladder ;)
Back to the top
Control functions: