Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Sun-Sentinel Stadium Update!

This could expidite the process, at least the BOT can see the big picture!

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/sfl-pspfaustad08nov08,0,1911033.story?coll=sfla-sports-headlines

FAU trustees endorse open-air football stadium

Venue could be expanded for more seats, dome

By Sarah Talalay
South Florida Sun-Sentinel
Posted November 8 2006

FORT LAUDERDALE ? Florida Atlantic University's Board of Trustees took a conservative approach Tuesday to building an on-campus football stadium, endorsing an open-air venue that could one day have a roof.

Despite the urging of football coach Howard Schnellenberger and Athletic Director Craig Angelos, who preferred a more expensive and elaborate proposal for a 40,000-seat domed stadium, the board directed university staff to pursue the "phased project" option at a meeting on FAU's Fort Lauderdale campus.

LocalLinks

The smaller version of the stadium, projected to cost $98.7 million, would be constructed so more seats and a dome could be added later. Or the university could decide instead to keep the stadium small and build a basketball arena next door.

The university is working with KUD International, a team of private companies that designs, builds and manages sports venues, to develop a private-public partnership that includes the stadium, dormitories and retail stores on the Boca Raton campus.

The idea is the housing and businesses could generate most of the dollars needed to finance construction of the football stadium and possibly a basketball arena. The university and KUD plan to spend the next six months hashing out the details and full scope of the project, including the stadium's seating capacity.

The team hopes a football stadium can open for the Owls' 2010 season.

Trustees expressed reservations about the proposed domed stadium's $146 million price and FAU's needs for such a large building that could also host concerts and other events.

"I had to consider the magnitude of the project in relation to our history and our history of athletics," Trustee Nancy Blosser said. "We are not a University of Florida that has a long history of winning football teams or the University of Miami, for that matter."

Blosser said it will take time for the Owls to build a winning tradition and that a domed stadium would face competition for events from plenty of other sports venues across South Florida.

The Owls currently have a year-to-year lease to play at Lockhart Stadium in Fort Lauderdale.

Trustee Armand Grossman said he preferred a domed stadium because it would serve as a showpiece that would make students and alumni proud.

"I dream big. I would love to see that happen," Grossman said. He said he would accept the smaller version if it would be "the best stadium we can build until the dome goes on."

Back to the top

Will Lockhart be available through the end of the 2009 season? I thought they were tearing it down for a baseball spring training complex.
Back to the top

From what i have heard it is probable to be offline in 2008….meaning we have next year and that's it…i haventheard anything back about trying to aquire some of it to put on campus as a temporary fix when the track is finished…BTW, what the heck are we doing building a track before a football stadium?! Who honestly cares about track?! How much money does it generate?!
Back to the top

Track doesn't generate much, but neither does our football team. Let's not get in a pissing match with track people.

2017 and 2019 Conference USA Champions
Back to the top

Student government stepped up to help fund the track. The previous track was basically unusable since it was not up to NCAA regulations.
Back to the top

owlfan1 said

Track doesn't generate much, but neither does our football team. Let's not get in a pissing match with track people.

Football generated a MINIMUM of $1.8M this year…

BTW, im not trying to get into a "pissing match"…i am making a valid point that you build the top revenue sport first…then the rest of the sports come alot easier…they are spending good change on this track…that's my only point ;)
Back to the top

Student government, eh?

Was the track paid for with Borders gift cards?

President of the No Homers Club. Keepin' it real since 2001.
Back to the top

Ha Ha Ha...that was good CanadianOwl! :D
Back to the top

I feel very sad for those students who were promised an on campus stadium - well before 2010.

Recruiting will be hurting until the shovels are in the ground.

Lessons learned :(

Back to the top

The last 4 classes were told they would have a stadium by 07 and no later than 08. credibility will go a long way. Broken promises go nowhere. Lockhart is supposed to be history in 08. They track that is being completely shortly would suffice until a stadium of substance can be built. I'm sure that the Track would not have a problem with that scenario since it would leave them and the school with a terrific track venue and a great place to hold state conferences for high schools etc. The BOT has a gift horse looking them straight in the eyes and they see nothing but butterfly's.
Back to the top
Control functions: