Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Pregame Thoughts - FAU vs Troy

This week as been all about the Innovation Village & the on campus stadium - the fustration continues, yet progress has been made.

Now it's time to talk a litle football, we still have an important game if we are serious about getting to .500 for the season.

It think we need something good to come out of this week and win against the Protected Ones would definetely be it.

On Defense:

We face another very accurate passer this week and could prove to be a challenge for our still young, sometimes stingy defense. We have the speed to defend this type of offense, but the same speed can work against us and allow big plays to develop.

Last week big plays killed us and will prove to be key to keeping this game from being a shoot-out. So limit Big plays on Defense and we can put ourselves in position to win this game.

We will need to pressure the QB and keep the offense off rhythm, winning the battle up front will be very important. It will be interesting to see how aggressive the guys are this week.

On Offense:

Clayton is on the side line and we now have Rusty back in as the starter, right where we expected to be at the beggining of the season - remember that little poll we did before the season where the majority of us wanted Rusty to be top dog under center and Yes I was one of those. Rusty can move the ball with his arm, he proved it during spring & fall practices and at times during games when nothing was happening of offense. The problem is, Rusty still makes to many mental mistakes.

So, the key to the offense this week, PROTECT the pigskin, now where I've I heard that before. Like every game so far this season, this has been our archilles heel all year. In the games we have kept turnovers to a minimum, we have gotten a W and the rest we all know the results.

Coach S talks about needing big plays, well Rusty does give us the best opportunity to have them, we have the WR and the TE's, that is questionable.

Rusty must start off strong, if he struggles early, then we will be playing catch-up ball all game and Troy will be looking to start off strong as well, since they tend to start slow and finish with a bang as of late.

Special teams:

One good game so far this season does not make for anything sepcial about this unit that still needs to find something consistent to build on. Again this could be the pivotal swing on how the game is defined.

We need solid play from every units this week. Troy is a beatable team and this game could prove to be the best chance the Owls have had to beating them, a team that tends to struggle on the road, let's get the goose eggs off our faces and beat the Protected Ones in our house.

Prediction: FAU 28 Trojans 24

Back to the top

We will probably run the ball more than pass….as we should…the O Line is top notch right now…the best we could ask for…Paris is starting and Jackson is back from 3 game suspension…now, if he messes up again, he's probably gone…

I hope we can finally have a long ball or two though…Troy is next to last in turnover margin…that could play to our favor…

GO OWLS!!!
Back to the top

My homework is done and I like our chances. At QB Troy is solid, however like most SBC teams their QB has more ints. than touchdowns (12 ints to 9 tds). With a 61% completion rating he rates pretty high in the conference. The Troy running game seems to be running back by committee without a real standout on the ground. They have shown that they can score and that they can play against good teams. Close losses to FSU and Georgia Tech indicate that Troy can play. However, the thing about the SBC is that each week it really appears to be anybody's game to win. If FAU ELIMINATES mistakes and plays a near perfect game both offensively and defensively the boys should have a very good shot of upsetting Troy. I see this as a fairly close, defense dominated game.

My fearless prediction: FAU 20 Troy 17

GO OWLS!!!

2017 and 2019 Conference USA Champions
Back to the top

The O - line is healthy :)

I expect to see good things from Rusty this week - pressure is off.

Special teams don't hurt us.

Defense - we need another "A" game

Coaches - make the right adjustments.

Let's go out and have fun !!

FAU - 13
Troy - 10
Back to the top

I am looking for a good game today from our boys.

Let's make our last game of the season at Lockhart a memorable one and I mean by winning and becoming spoilers for Troy's chance to win the SB Title. Has much as I would love for Troy to win the Title instead of the Smurf Puppies, I don't want us to lose to Troy just so they have a chance to beat the Puppies for the conference Title.

Sorry, Bmarkey but I do have to root for my boys first. Now, if the Protected Ones happen to win today, that is a different story and I will be pulling for Troy to run the table.

Should be a great day for a ball game today - see you all at Lockhart.

Go Owls!!
Back to the top
Control functions: