Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Post-Game Thoughts on Troy

I guess nobody wanted to be the first to post on this game, so I'll do it.

Another disappointing outcome in a game we should have won. Once again, we shoot ourselves in the foot with too many mistakes. Bad tackling, dropped passes and a really, really bad roughing the kicker penalty. The D was beaten for 3 big plays and that was pretty much the game.

The offense could not get the running game going, but I thought Rusty Smith was better than I have ever seen him. The last INT was a poor decision, however, and a bad throw. If you are going the throw into the endzone, make sure the pass is in a place where only the receiver can catch it…but this pass was thrown to the 1 yard line and the CB made a good play on the ball.

Overall, it wasn't a terrible performance. Troy just made more big plays, but there were a few positives. Once again we showed that we can play with any of the Sun Belt teams. Over the last 4 weeks, we have played the best 4 teams the SBC has to offer in ULL (who at the the time were playing well and considered a contender, but have since tanked), Arkansas St., MTSU, and Troy, and we have been right there with them physically. That was not the case last season. This year we matched up, but killed ourselves with mental mistakes, which I guess is expected given our youth.

Also, the attendance yesterday was the best of the season.

For the rest of the year, we have 2 games left and they are both very winnable. The goal now should be to finish above .500 in conference play and most importantly, bring the Shula trophy home.
Back to the top

The breakdowns on defense were disappointing, but Rusty seemed bi-polar. He would have 2-3 good plays then throw the ball out of bounds on a swing pass, or throw right to the defender when no receiver was in the area, and on that last INT he had Sanchez open in the flat which would have easily been a first down. It seemed as though if the coaches designed a roll-out Rusty was fine on his feet, but if it was a straight drop-back he was wearing lead shoes. Also, on the last touchdown pass he made a good read a took his time, but almost every other time he checked off his first read something bad seemed to happen.
Back to the top

fauowls44, I agree. I didn't see your thread and must have been in the middle of making my assestments of the game when you posted your.
Back to the top

Bytor, I didn't get to listen to the game, though I have read the game stories, etc. All in all, a disappointing day. First, the Owls lost a game they could have won, it seems. Meanwhile, my wife and I were at Air Force, watching on a chilly afternoon as a much bigger, faster and talented Notre Dame dismantled the Falcons in a game that wasn't as close as the score (39-17) indicated. (At least the snow held off until today.) And then, my wife's alma mater, Texas, dropped a 45-42 game to Kansas State. It was interesting to note that Kansas State put up as many points against Texas as we saw it put up against the Owls early in the season. The difference was that Texas scored 42 and FAU scored zero.

Ah, well. On to North Texas. We'll be there, hoping the Owls remain motivated in their final two games. With North Texas coming off a solid win, my guess is that the Mean Green will be ready. And with FIU getting hammered once again, my guess is that the Golden Panthers would be pleased to take out their frustrations on the Owls in a couple of weeks.
Back to the top

GrayOwl,Texas did lose a heart breaker and ends their title hope.

North Texas looks like they have found new life in a season full of disappointments, hopefully the Owls go to Denton with purpose and determination and not allow the Mean Green to build anymore confidence on the gridiron.
Back to the top

Re North Texas: We're going, but I can't say that we bring good luck. We also attended the games at Kansas State and Oklahoma State. Ouch and ouch.
Back to the top

mh2os said

The breakdowns on defense were disappointing, but Rusty seemed bi-polar. He would have 2-3 good plays then throw the ball out of bounds on a swing pass, or throw right to the defender when no receiver was in the area, and on that last INT he had Sanchez open in the flat which would have easily been a first down. It seemed as though if the coaches designed a roll-out Rusty was fine on his feet, but if it was a straight drop-back he was wearing lead shoes. Also, on the last touchdown pass he made a good read a took his time, but almost every other time he checked off his first read something bad seemed to happen.

EXACTLY…i am a team guy and i appreciate those who chose to support him…BUT come next year, the boy better show up to play with his "nerves, misfires, badsnaps, and miscommunications" out the door…we have two very capable, and more accurate players in Cranor and Grant coming in for competition at playing time and the starting role…i think its safe to say that Clayton's injury has releived him of duties…not due to the injury itself, but due to timing etc…

Rusty, love ya man…but we need to win…
Back to the top

As far the numbers go, Rusty looked like a stud. The run game, or lack thereof, is what killed the OWLS. If you can't the ball, you can't win. Rusty put up over 300 yards thru the air which doesn't normally happen for FAU. He moved the ball. The run game averaged about 1 yard per carry which is far from good. I don't understand how the run game fell apart against Troy. The run and pass just haven't been on the same page. Hopefully they will make the necessary adjustments for North Texas. GO OWLS!!!

2017 and 2019 Conference USA Champions
Back to the top

Got to finally see my first game - although disappointing we lost I didn't think we loooked that bad. As we were driving down the Turnpike with our flag flapping proudly, it was nice to hear several honks and see the thumbs up signs !

Those horrible refs, as usual aided us in our loss.

Special teams weren't that bad but should would like to have someone block so we can get beyond the 15 yard line when we do decide to run it back.

Defense - hate to say it but we sure dont' tackle the little ankle biters too good on the run. They were feet tackling! And the defensive backs - well …….. they need to concentrate on that area in the off season.

Offense - sure couldn't run the ball - especially when the same kid gets it over and over and over and gets no where. Very bad play calling if you ask me. Too many times this season they sent 1 kid out for the endzone pass - duh ….. and they wonder why he is intercepted ? With all the receivers they have that they never throw to, you would think they could send them all to the endzone and somebody could catch the ball , but no, they send 1 kid !!

Rusty didn't look that bad and I thought he didn't look nervous at all. HOWEVER, he makes himself look bad when it takes him 45 seconds to figure out what to do with the ball. He takes way too much time to make the play happen. Thus, the sacks, 0 yard gains. He has to learn to make quick decisions. Practice the long passes please - we sure could have used a few of those for a BIG PLAY !! Just one of those could have won us the game :(
I hope we decide the starting quarterback BEFORE SBC play next year.

Crowd was good and we had a great time.- tons of entertainments during the game. Sure hope they invest in a sound system next year - it was worse than our high school field - couldn't hear or understand a word anyone said.

There were a couple Troy players that I wish we could have hit REALLY HARD - #15 in particular who kept pointing at the scoreboard. Man it would've been nice to have beat them.

Can't wait for the next game when we win the Shula Trophy back !

Go OWLS !!
Back to the top

My only grade this week will be on the play calling - not real good and some big play mistakes. The rest I thought was a hard fought game. They play a delay defense, you could see there guys hesitate when we snapped the ball and the no huddle deal with the team stopping to look at the sideline was weird only because they ran the whole game like that. I think that kind of messed up that pump you get when you get set. These kids have had a lot of different stuff thrown at them in the last two years so nothing should be a surprise. Finish the season (last two wins) and have fun, bring home the trophy and get ready for next season.
Back to the top
Control functions: