Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

ULM Nearly Beats Kentucky

Saw where ULM lost to Kentucky 42-40. We play them next year. We can definitey win this game!!
Back to the top

I agree…have though for a while now tha Kentucky just might be the first big upset for the Owls…although HI was a nice win, Kentucky is SEC…

After watching Minnesota yesterday, dont rule that one out either…they arent what they were with Lawrence Marone…
Back to the top

It is so disappointing how our much-maligned conference throws up on itself even when there is a chance for great victory.

We either get blown out (MTSU or Troy this year) or come so close to winning (La.Mo, Troy twice) the big games that it hurts.

The SunBelt gets better each year but just can't yet get over that hump.

Back to the top

BMarkey said

We either get blown out (MTSU or Troy this year) or come so close to winning (La.Mo, Troy twice) the big games that it hurts.

We beat UL Monroe…21-19 at their place…first victory of the year…
Back to the top

We can't really compare common opponents and get a feel for potential games. By that logic 1-AA Illinois State would most likely be able to beat Texas since Kansas State beat Texas and Illinois State lost to Kansas State by 1 point.

I think Kentucky would have dominated FAU this year despite slipping by ULM. As for next year, Kentucky will have a different squad and so will FAU. I like FAU's chances to keep it close, but I still think FAU has a way to go before beating an SEC opponent. Same goes for Minnesota. I think there is a pretty big gap between the top of the SBC and the bottom teams of conferences like the SEC and the BIG TEN. That said, the SBC is getting better each year. GO OWLS!!!

2017 and 2019 Conference USA Champions
Back to the top

I should have been more clear. By "we", I meant the conference and how La-Mo. almost beat UK, Troy almost beat FSU and Ga. Tech, etc.

The conference is due to get over the OCC loss hump.

Back to the top

That is the nature of the game. I think there is always a chance for an SBC team to surprise an opponent. Remeber how the MAC was beating up on BCS teams a few years ago. Northern Illinois beat Iowa State, Maryland, and Alabama all in the same season. However, more likely than not close games tend to go to the BCS schools. They normally seem to find a way to win. I think this will change is the years to come as some traditional powers are slipping and the top teams in the SBC are getting better.

Troy looked very strong a few years ago and now MTSU looks very good. It would be nice to see these teams maintain their high level of play and then add in a few more at the top of the pile, preferably FAU. I think next year could be a big year for FAU to surprise someone. However, one win over a big time team doesn't make a program. I think that has been the biggest issue with the teams in the SBC and the conference as a whole. Teams cannot beat opponents from higher rated conferences on a regular basis and when a win does occur, it is generally vewed as a one time thing. To gain respect, SBC teams need to be consistent outside of the conference. It doesn't do any good for a team like ULM to almost beat teams like bowl eligible Kentucky and bowl eligible Kansas and get blown out by Alabama. The same goes for FAU who by all standards played a wicked non-conf. schedule and get belted each and every week. Until the SBC shows consistency in the way they play the non-conf. schedule, the SBC will not get much respect. Hopefully FAU and the conference as a whole will improve next year. GO OWLS!!!

2017 and 2019 Conference USA Champions
Back to the top
Control functions: