Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

FAU vs FIU pregame thoughts

This is the last game of the year for us. Lets get something started talking about the game.

Does anyone have a final score in mind? Marcus Nelson has been pretty accurate lately. Can't wait to see what he predicts.

ERROR: A link was posted here (img) but it appears to be a broken link.

Back to the top

Interesting. I was just on the FIU site - looks like they have given up this season. It's too bad to have so many bad things happen in 1 season.

FAU's seniors are going to come PUMPED and ready to play their last game at FAU :(
We have lots to prove and more than anything - a 4 - 3 record in the SBC !!!

Prediction: FAU - 26
FIU - 10

GO OWLS !!!!
Back to the top

This season has been very disappointing for FIU. I think FAU will win big and FIU will throw in the towel by halftime. Look for FAU to seek revenge for the pitiful showing last year that resulted in a complete demolition by FIU. I like the OWLS in this one. My final fearless prediction of the season. FAU 42 FIU 17.GO OWLS!!!

2017 and 2019 Conference USA Champions
Back to the top

Hey FAUFBL, I don't know where you got those chicken feet, but they are killin' me ;)

Back to the top

They do have a very strong defense I will go with FAU 23 FIU 7. I also would never count anyone out and think of this not only would they break the streak but retain the Shula trophy if they come out to win and we think we already one. This could be a good contest Saturday but we must come out to play.
Back to the top

We've never beat FIU big. In FIU's first season, our second, the score was 31-21, you would have thought we would have won by more. The next year (our 11-3 season) it was 32-23 and they lead through the first qtr. 3rd Shula Bowl with all of our 5th year seniors, 17-10.

So expect the unexpected.

On the Faulk report today, all the seniors were there. Most said the worst moment in their college career was last year's Shula bowl. Big motivation for this year!! We know what the defense is capable of. Lets hope it all comes together again for this game like it did for ASU.

ERROR: A link was posted here (img) but it appears to be a broken link.

Back to the top

Where has the season gone? Just seems like yesterday that the football season started, yet here we are the final game for the Owls - The Shula Bowl.

Usually the calm kitty fans do not travel well and that includes the little trip north to Dolphin stadium, I expect that to be the case again on Saturday ::) so much for building a rivalry when the opposing fans do not even support their own team just a few mile north of their campus. The Owls fans have further to go, yet have more butts in the seats - you would think it would be the other way around, go figure.

If you are going to have a good rivalry, fan support must play a major role in the development of the rivalry.

So, we are playing our pretended rivals to the south of us in the up coming 5th Shula Bowl, where the Owls lead the series three games to one loss, last years humiliation loss.

Even though the Golden Kitties season has been a disappointment and lets be honest, their season only ended badly after their little brawl with UM, before that the Golden Kitties had a pretty impressive roar going, which raised some concerns for me when the Owls had to face the Golden Kitties in the Shula Bowl, prior to the UM medley.

Amazing what happen during the course of a season, the opposite can be said of the Owls, especially with the not so impressive start the Owls had at the beginning of the season, which was expect, what wasn't expect (from me anyway) was how the team began to mature and show the potential they have as a team, for the quick turn around that took place after those tough OCC games.

The Shula Bowl:

What to expect from this game, I don't foresee a blown-out by anyone, unless turnovers turn this into a blood bath similar to last year.

Does the Golden Kitties have anything left to play for, YES they do, remember that they want that first win of the season, especially against their so called rivals, the Owls. They have been thru some trying times during the season and yet can look back at the beginning of the season for some good memories that can bring them to believe in themselves that they can play some pretty good ball, if they so chose to. The same talent is there, the question will be, are they up to the challenge, do they have enough in their tank of emotions to bring their A game on Saturday, will they be strong enough as a team to stop the bleeding and what better way to do that against the Owls. This game alone can make their season. Emotions have much to do with the out come of a football game, if used properly.

How about them Owls', which team is going to show-up for the Shula Bowl is the question of the day? We have played with so much inconsistencies all year, it makes one wonder how this Owl team will play. Will the offense continue to struggle, we don't even know for sure which QB will start this game, IMO Rusty will propably get the nod for this one even if he is not 100%, and which defense will decide to bless us with their presence. As a team there as only been two complete games from all units involved and during the course of a season, that is not the way you continue to win ball games. And makes you wonder how we have a 3-3 record in conference play? This team has shown a bunch of guts and willingness to fight and not giving-up till the final whistle has blown.

I will not go into the usual breakdowns of what needs to be done on Defense, Offense or Special teams because it has become rather obvious what need to occur in order for us to nocth a W on Saturday. The themes have been similar all year, especially in conference play and makes it rather redundant when you have no idea which Unit will decide to show-up for the party.

The one major component that has been a compelling and deciding factor in every games outcomes so far, has been the turnovers, when we protect the pigskins we win and when we don't we lose. Rather simple isn't it. Another factor of interest, the ability for the Owls to run the pigskin, when we do so effectively, it increases our chance for a W. These will become the two major key factor for the Owls to be able to dance the night away in the middle of the field on Saturday as they hoist the Shula Bowl Trophy as victors, if not then the Owls will be watching the Goldens Kitties dance the night away at mid-field.

The Golden Kitties do posses a very solid Defense, so protecting the pigskins will be a decisive factor in the outcome. If the Owls defense decide to bless us with their presences then it could be a long night for the Kittie, Kitties down south.

A strong start by all units could help deflate the Kitties emotional boost that will exist at the beginning of the game, if we give these guys a chance to build momentum, then it will be a long hard fought battle going into the final quarter.

My fearless prediction on this one: FAU 24 Kitties 17

Go Owls!!
Back to the top

Hey Owlfan -

Those are BURROWING OWL claws – look quite intimidating for such a furocious little bird :o
Try googling images using "burrowing owl" - lots of great pics of little chirps looking for a nest ! (FAU needs to have a big 10th anniversary blowout bash in their NEW NEST ) … back to the game …..

I hate last games of the season - emotions are running very very high. Usually, at the very least, there is a little schuffle - especially if it is a blowout. I hope the fans keep it clean ;D

I am sure our players are thinking about possible fights/cheap shots. This is not FIU's last game of the season so they do have lots to lose - especially their seniors. I have heard both teams have a mutual respect for each other so I am sure the coaches will sternly warn their players. FIU's new AD sure doesn't want an "incident" in his first few weeks on the job. The officiating crew need to do their job this week and keep the game under control - very early. I still blame the "riot" on the officials.

FIUI's defense is strong, our offense weak. I do not expect a blow out but would thoroughly enjoy a SHUTOUT !!!

GO SENIORS !!
GO OWLS !!

Back to the top

Like some others said, these rivalry games are hard to pick and we never know which FAU team will show up. I picked the big score because I think FAU will get some points off of turnovers. That can turn 28 points into 42 points in a hurry. I haven't had much faith in the FAU offense season, so this is my week to believe in their ability to score and score big. Maybe they have been saving the fireworks just for this game :) This should be a good one. GO OWLS!!!

Back to the top

If it's any consolation, we are favored anywhere from 4.5 - 5.5 points…depending on which line is reporting…

I have a feeling that this will be pretty close to that…unless there are turnovers…But will still go with the following:

FAU 24 - FIU 10
Back to the top
Control functions: