Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

New FIU athletic director Garcia praised......

Add topic

….as 'a straight shooter'

Panthers athletic director Pete Garcia has made an immediate impact since his hiring last month – which includes creating a culture where losing is unacceptable.

BY PETE PELEGRIN
[email protected]

Less than two weeks into his new job as FIU's athletic director, Garcia accompanied the football team to Tuscaloosa, Ala., where it lost 38-3 to fall to 0-8 on the season.

From his seat at the front of the plane, Garcia heard players joking around on the ride home.

'I just went back there and said, `Last time I checked on the scoreboard we lost by 35 points, so let's act like we lost by 35 points.' ''

The plane became silent.

When the flight touched down at Miami International Airport, Garcia excused everyone on board except the players.

''I stayed behind and talked to the team,'' he explained. ``It was basically: This is not an 0-8 team, and they've played a lot better than an 0-8 team plays. There are certain things they have to do to improve. . . . The players have to take it upon themselves to make themselves better.''

When the team bus arrived at FIU, Garcia was lauded for taking a stand.

''I think it was something that needed to be said at the time,'' said FIU radio broadcaster Jerry del Castillo, who also was on the flight. ``Learning not to accept losing as the norm is very important to growing up as athletes and as a program.''

I don't know about everyone else, but I see a problem here. Garcia took it upon himself to discipline the football team. Why didn't he tell Strock to do it? Was this the straw that broke the camels back with Strock? Is Garcia going to discipline the basketball, baseball, swim, track, soccer, volleyball, golf, softball, etc team?

Can you imagine Howard Schnellenberger standing by while Angelos tries to discipline the team?

Is Garcia going to micro-manage all the coaches at FIU? If that formula works, all the power to him.

ERROR: A link was posted here (img) but it appears to be a broken link.

Back to the top

There is that fine line that should never be crossed, yet in this circumstance I can understand why Garcia might have done what he did and only if Garcia knew at the time Strcok would no longer be coach, thus the credibilty factor would have been compromised.

Back to the top

I understand what you are saying Bytor but Faualum comments are very valid. I know we don't know all the details about Strock but that is kind of like rubbing salt in the wound. Since it hit the press he may have done it for effect for the replacement.
Back to the top

I know FIU fans are hoping to find a good D1A coach. How lucky we are to have a bonifide, proven D1A coach working in a low budgeted program. I know the wins haven't been there lately but the program is only completing its 2nd year as a D1A program. We ALMOST experienced the pinnicle of D1AA programs. We got as close as one game away from the national championship.

ERROR: A link was posted here (img) but it appears to be a broken link.

Back to the top

Talon, I wasn't disagrreing with FAUAlumn and the reason I mentioned that the cretibility factor Strock might have lost the way Garcia over step what would have been Strock job to do. And even so, I will agree that Garcia could have said something to Strock and let Strock handle the situation. I am not sure what Garcia expect but he will find out the restrictions he had to work with and that he is not at the same level of playing as a UM.

We are very fortunate to have Schnelly and FIU now have a uphill battle to fight. Stability is so important for a young program.
Back to the top

faualum said

Can you imagine Howard Schnellenberger standing by while Angelos tries to discipline the team?

Yeah, about as much as i can imagine a cold day in hell…

;D
Back to the top
Control functions: