Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Articles - FIU

FIU's top tackler Bouie is out for season with knee injury
BY PETE PELEGRIN
[email protected]

WALTER MICHOT / MIAMI HERALD STAFF

DONE: FIU senior linebacker Keyonvis Bouie will miss the final two games of the season with injury.Middle linebacker Keyonvis Bouie, Florida International's career leader in tackles, said Wednesday he will miss the final two games this season because of a sprained medial collateral ligament.

Bouie, who had 18 tackles against Louisiana-Lafayette last week to give him a season school record (119), breaking his record of 118 set in 2005, sustained the injury in the fourth quarter.

Freshman Michael Dominguez replaces Bouie. Dominguez will make his first career start against Florida Atlantic in the Don Shula Bowl on Saturday at Dolphin Stadium.

Bouie also set the career record for tackles with 299, topping the record of 295 held by former safety John Haritan.

Bouie said he expects to be ready to participate in NFL Scout Day at FIU in March.
Back to the top

Articles - FIU

From the Miami Herald

FIU

Posted on Wed, Nov. 22, 200

Interviews underway for football coach Florida International athletic director Pete Garcia said Tuesday he has started the interview process for the Golden Panthers' next football coach.

Garcia said he has interviewed several candidates and still has to speak to a few more.

He added there is no timetable to have a coach in place.

Current FIU coach Don Strock, who has led the program from its inception, resigned Wednesday.

Back to the top

Articles - FIU

Football Continues Searching for Elusive First Victory

Courtesy: FIUSports.com

Release: 11/22/2006

Courtesy: Samuel Lewis

The Golden Panthers face Florida Atlantic Saturday in the fifth annual Shula Bowl.

FIU meets Florida Atlantic this Saturday night in Dolphin Stadium looking to salvage some pride in 2006 with a victory in the fifth annual Shula Bowl.

It was a record-setting evening last year in a game that saw FIU intercept five Owl passes and run four of those back for touchdowns in a 52-6 drubbing. But that was last year.

?These are two completely different football teams from a year ago. I know ours certainly is,? said FIU head coach Don Strock. ?Hopefully, this will be a very good football game. From watching film of FAU, I know that Coach Schnellenberger and his staff have done a great job and they?ll be ready to play.?

Since that last meeting, the Golden Panthers lost their first graduating class and replaced them with a group of young players whose season has been a baptism of fire.

?We knew we would come into this season having to play a lot of young players and how they adapted would equal our success,? Strock said. ?These young players have played hard all season, they have learned a lot about the game of college football and their futures are very bright.?

The year has been disappointing enough for FIU that Strock announced his resignation earlier this month, which takes effect at the end of the season. A win against the Owls would retain the Shula trophy in Miami and help these young Golden Panthers feel better about themselves entering the final game of the year on Dec. 2 against Troy.

Bouie to Miss FAU: FIU senior linebacker Keyonvis Bouie (Pahokee) has watched preparation for this Saturday?s Shula Bowl against Florida Atlantic from the sidelines and on a pair of crutches.

Bouie, who set the single season and career marks for tackles last Saturday against Louisiana-Lafayette, left the game midway through the fourth quarter with what was diagnosed as a sprained left knee MCL.

Freshman Michael Dominguez (Miami/Miami Beach) has worked with the first team this week at middle linebacker and is expected to make his first intercollegiate start against the Owls.

Back to the top

Articles - FIU

Smoke some more crack CFN:

http://story.scout.com/a.z?s=451&p=2&c=557944

scroll down mid-way for the FAU vs. FIU review…someone should post this to the player's locker room…lol
Back to the top

Articles - FIU

Articles - FIU

This guys prediction sounds like he expects the return of the suspended players to be the savoirs of FIU's season, when they where the culprits that put FIU in the hole in the first place. The players might be exicited to be back on the gridiron, but they lost the fire that existed prior the brawl.

Regardless, the game must be played - I hope our players take care of business early and take the Shula Trophy back where it belongs - The Oxley Center, right where OG would like.

Go Owls!!
Back to the top

Articles - FIU

Bytor said

This guys prediction sounds like he expects the return of the suspended players to be the savoirs of FIU's season, when they where the culprits that put FIU in the hole in the first place. The players might be exicited to be back on the gridiron, but they lost the fire that existed prior the brawl.

Regardless, the game must be played - I hope our players take care of business early and take the Shula Trophy back where it belongs - The Oxley Center, right where OG would like.

Go Owls!!

Appearantly they did not learn their lesson from the brawl either…couldnt believ that some of thier playerswere still acting like thugs…what was it, three personal fouls they had??
Back to the top

Articles - FIU

People that I brought to the game ask me the same thing - not a good reputation to have if youre FIU, for a young program.

Some of those PFP where uncalled for and was nice to see our players not retaliate. I am sure the coaches brought this up to the players prior the game.
Back to the top

Articles - FIU

To be fair, one or two Owls did retaliate a bit toward the end of the game. Howard got one of them on the sideline and, well … that guy won't punch and shove again without thinking twice about the consequences.
Back to the top

Articles - FIU

Yeah, i know the instance you are reffering to...but the FIU player did start it...
Back to the top

Articles - FIU

A friend of mine who listened to the Game on WJNA said Steve Walsh was somewhat negative towards FIU during the game and blurted out "they're punks" after one of the shoving penalties.

Did anyone else hear him say that? Any out of state alumni?

I know he's biased but that was quite a comment.

I'm glad the Owls stayed focused on the game and didn't let their emotions get out of hand.

ERROR: A link was posted here (img) but it appears to be a broken link.

Back to the top
Control functions: