Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Around The Belt

The only game from the Belt today is the Troy vs FIU game.

This game is very important to Troy and who will represent the Belt in NO as the SBC Champions.

Can FIU win it's first game of the season or end the season winless? I think Troy takes care of business today, last weeks come from behind victory might have given the Trojan to much inspiration to allow the Golden kitties to ruin their season.

Back to the top

Around The Belt

I believe Troy has gotten over its play-down-to-the-competition (ASU and UAB come to mind) hump and will take care of business convincingly tonight: Troy 34 - FIU 6.

I am told Troy played a whale of a game - effectively shutting down MTSU's offense - last week in Tennessee. (I was at the Shula Bowl.) The last seconds-win was one of Troy's greatest, including over Mizzou and Marshall (twice). The Trojan defense is young but improving (like FAU), and the more the offense plays in Tony Franklin's spread, the better it gets.

If you Owls need to fill your football fix today, come on down to Miami-Dade and be SunBelt fans. Join us tailgating in the mid-afternoon (look for my blue Ford Sportrack and say "Hi"). Part of the amazing Troy band will be there and that alone is worth the trip.

The big question is: Who will Owl fans root for in the New Orleans Bowl - a fellow SunBelter or the other Owls?
Back to the top

Around The Belt

Owls...they were the absolute worst team in football not too long ago...and i hate the Trojans....sorry Belt - Go Owls! ;)
Back to the top

Around The Belt

Around The Belt

BMarkey said

The big question is: Who will Owl fans root for in the New Orleans Bowl - a fellow SunBelter or the other Owls?

I think we have to vote for Troy…A bowl win woud be a win for the entire conference.
Back to the top

Around The Belt

We should root for Troy or whatever SunBelt team is in any bowl. We need to bring credibility to the conference so when we win the conference next year, it means something...
Back to the top

Around The Belt

this is where our tough schedule can really hurt us. If we lose all of our OCO games again next year to all these bcs schools and we don't win our conference we could miss out on a bowl game if were one game under .500 and 1AA wins don't count.

But I think will be able to pull off atleast one if not three of the five 0CO games next year.
Back to the top

Around The Belt

The composite schedule I have did not show that ULM & ULL played yesterday :P

Here are the results from yesterday games:

Troy 26 FIU 13
ULM 39 ULL 20

Here are the final SBC standings:

Conference Overall

Troy 6-1, 7-5
MTSU 6-1, 7-5
ASU 4-3, 6-6
FAU 4-3, 5-7
ULL 3-4, 6-6
ULM 3-4, 4-8
UNT 2-5, 3-9
FIU 0-7, 0-12

Back to the top

Around The Belt

Sun Belt Gets Two in Bowls ? Troy to R+L Carriers New Orleans Bowl, Middle Tennessee to Motor City Bowl

Courtesy: Sun Belt Conference
Release: 12/02/2006

ERROR: A link was posted here (img) but it appears to be a broken link.

NEW ORLEANS ? Troy captured the Sun Belt?s invitation to the R+L Carriers New Orleans Bowl with a win over Florida International and Middle Tennessee will appear in the Motor City Bowl.

This marks the second time that the Sun Belt has had two teams in postseason bowl games in the conference?s short six year history (2004 - North Texas, New Orleans Bowl and Troy, Silicon Valley Football Classic).

Troy (7-5) completed a near perfect Sun Belt season with the win over FIU Saturday and earns the Sun Belt?s bid to the R+L Carriers New Orleans Bowl due to their 21-20 head-to-head win against Middle Tennessee last week.

?We are very proud to have two teams playing in post-season bowl games this year,? Sun Belt Conference Commissioner Wright Waters said. ?Our football is continuing to grow and develop. We have had some nice non-conference wins this year and some near misses against established bowl-bound programs such as Florida State, Georgia Tech, Maryland and Kentucky.?

?Troy, after beginning their season 1-4 following a very difficult non-conference schedule, has shown great resolve and the importance of playing one game at a time. This marks the second time in the last three years Larry Blakeney?s teams have reached the post-season and this validates that they are doing things the right way.?

?Middle Tennessee, under first-year head coach Rick Stockstill, has had a tremendous season. They won their first six conference games and are very deserving of the first bowl game in their program?s history.?

Troy will play Rice December 22 at 7 p.m. (CT) in the Louisiana Superdome. The game will be televised live on ESPN2.

Middle Tennessee (7-5) will play Central Michigan December 26 at 6:30 p.m. (CT) at Ford Field. The game can be seen live on ESPN.
Back to the top

Around The Belt

Both schools are very deserving of their bowls.

If the SBC can get two bowls every year that will surely help, but winning these bowls would be better. You must earn respect from the BCS conference and winning will tend to do that, so yes we should root for both Troy and the Smurf Puppies.

Plus, the conference benefits from having two schools in bowl games and from Boise being in a BCS bowl game.

Playing those tough OCC games will not relate to a bowl unless we win the conference, but the long term benefits will justify the pain of playing those tough OCC games and in time hopefully going bowling will be a yearly occurrence. The benefit of playing bowl games will be incredible, just think of 3-4 weeks of extra practice & development for the players - creates an advantage for those teams that go bowling.

In time the Owls will be able to benefit.

Back to the top

Around The Belt

This is great news for our conference. Both teams are very deserving and I will be rooting for the SBC !!

To be invited to bowls, if we do not win a conference, comes down to how much $$$ will your school bring to the host city and how many tickets can be sold. It is extremely important this coming year to get fans in the seats. Our marketing campaign has got to start very early and get the university and community excited about next year. Our schedule for 2007 is perfect - with 3 local teams on the schedule - FIU, USF and UF. We should capture many more new fans. I hope to see advertising up in the Tampa area for the USF game and perhaps free tickets to local high schools- we need to pack that stadium. I am sure many USF students would love to come and visit the beaches and nightlife and tell their friends what a beautiful campus FAU is - too bad they probably won't see the campus because we have to play in Lockhart instead of our own stadium. This would have been a great recruiting tool - for both athletes and non-student athletes - ugh !!!!
Hopefully this will be a priority on the new SGA president's agenda - getting students to support FAU athletics by attending the games.

Why are we ranked 4th in the SBC if we beat ASU ? If there is a "tie" for 3rd, I still want to see FAU listed before ASU - it looks better :)
Back to the top
Control functions: