Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Coaching shake-ups

Coaching shake-ups

A couple of new pieces of information relating to changes this year.

1) Looks like Alabama is poised to offer the job to Rich Rodriguez

2) Bernie Kosar has shown interest in the Miami job.

If Miami goes the way of Kosar, that will illustrate just how far the program has fallen. It seems that no-one is in a hurry to take the job and now an alum with no coaching experience is apparently the top candidate simply because few others are showing interest. Playing in the NFL and coaching a major D-1 program are two very different things. If Kosar wants to get into coaching he should start by coaching QBs. Hey, I have a brilliant idea, maybe he could coach QBs at Miami, they need some serious offensive help ;D. So now they have the QB coach, time to get a head coach. What a joke :-X GO OWLS!!!

2017 and 2019 Conference USA Champions
Back to the top

Coaching shake-ups

Re-run of the FIU debacle if Kosar is chosen...
Back to the top

Coaching shake-ups

I almost freaked out when I heard the teaser on sportscenter about the Bernie Kosar to UM thing. The lead in to commercial was "Miami may be looking into a blast from the past for their next head coach" and then they cut out. I'm sure glad it wasn't Schnelley.

I wonder what Jimmy Johnson is up to?
Back to the top

Coaching shake-ups

Why would UM get rid of Coker to hire Kosar? That would make no sense. Oh wait, wasn't it President Shalala who stated after the brawl, "I have not reviewed the tape of the brawl because I do not want the facts to influence my decision on the disciplinary action."
Back to the top

Coaching shake-ups

It won't be Kosar.

Leading candidate as of now is Randy Shannon, the defensive coordinator.
Back to the top

Coaching shake-ups

Its interesting about Kosar though. Howard recruited him.

He was the starting QB in 1983 and played in the Orange bowl victory against Nebraska. From what I just read about him, it sounds like he had a throwing motion similar to Rusty Smith. Do you suppose that is why Howard is so high on Smith?

ERROR: A link was posted here (img) but it appears to be a broken link.

Back to the top

Coaching shake-ups

Not sure about Howard's feelings toward Rusty.

I know that Bernie was a "make it happen" player. He did what needed to be done, didn't have any quit in him and has an air of confidence that is absolutely ridiculous.

After the Canes won their first championship, Bernie was quoted that he wished Nebraska would have converted the 2pt attempt because he knew with the time left he would have marched the Canes right down the field and scored the winner.

Now, if Rusty has that kind of attitude to him, then that would be a good reason why Howard is high on him.
Back to the top

Coaching shake-ups

I know Kosar was a great player, pro and college but he has no experience coaching. He didn't come up through the ranks as an assistant or an OC. Why fire a guy (Coker) with an overall winning record to hire someone TOTALLY unproven. He might turn out to be a great coach EVENTUALLY but its russian roulette. Kosar would have to hire the best assistants in college football to make it work. He would be no better than his assistants.

UM has something up their sleeve. It is interesting to watch it play out. I don't know if FIU has anything to do with it or not. Regardless, we're looking good.

ERROR: A link was posted here (img) but it appears to be a broken link.

Back to the top

Coaching shake-ups

Read the late article in the Miami Herald.

I'm pretty sure he will not end up as HC. I do think he will end up HEAVILY involved in operations and the overall direction of the program. Not AD, but strictly football. I posted on the UM board that I think he could raise some serious capital to renovate the facilities that need upgrading, get some serious cash for recruiting and pressure the city of Miami to renovate the OB.

Where there's smoke, there's fire.
Back to the top

Coaching shake-ups

SigEp77 said

Not sure about Howard's feelings toward Rusty.

He has made some pretty high remarks about him…but after this year's actual performance it will be a matter of what shakes out after spring training and the other QB's toss the pigskin around to impress…

I am waiting to see this Grant character…also Cranor…Cranor came from a very pass heavy offensive scheme…

I know Howard likes the prostyle offense, but what would it be like to have a Belt team similar to Hawaii - one where you threw for like 500 yards of offense…what team could "corner" against that???

I know Troy has about the closest emulation of this, but they dont have the wide recievers, and more importantly passer to get it done…with what we have potentially in the hopper at QB, it is an interesting thought…
Back to the top
Control functions: