Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

07' Receivers - Sun Sentinel/Ted Hutton

The Offense – Wide Receivers

Another position-by-committee in 2006, the hope is that a couple will emerge and take hold of the starting jobs in 2007.

Starter returning: Frantz Simeon (35 catches, 590 yards, 1 TD)

Starter lost: Casey McGahee (15c/183y/1td)

Backups returning: Avery Holley (18c/223y/1td), Conshario Johnson (15c/195y/0td), Cortez Gent (6c/66y/0td), Chad Wilkes (9c/89y/1td), Chris Bonner (14c/178y/0td)

Backups lost: None

With a starter and five backups who all got a lot of action returning, this is an interesting bunch and there should be some lively action in the spring.

While this group showed some flashes of talent, they also exposed themselves as rookies, which they all were except for Simeon and McGahee. But McGahee missed the first half of the season, and took a little while to shake the rust off, so the youngsters got a lot of work.

There were drops, bad routes run, missed blocks, missed audibles. Just a lot of stuff that comes with first-year players. I would say Holley, as a true freshman, showed the most promise. Listed generously at 6-0, 150, Holley is all speed and elusiveness, and he showed that given some open field, he can make big things happen.

I thought Simeon was a disappointment until late in the season. He actually had his best game in the Shula Bowl, a performance that prompted The Voice to say: ?Frantz Simeon had a big game, a game I have been waiting for him to have.?

The rest seemed interchangeable, with no one really standing out. Bonner, at 6-3, 195, is the tallest of the bunch, and this is a height-challenged bunch.

What is really missing is a deep threat. This offense is designed to stretch a defense, cre-ating open areas all over the field. When the Burrowing Birds had Roosevelt Bynes, de-fenses had to worry about him on the deep routes, and that left TE Anthony Crissinger-Hill plenty of room underneath, where he was often covered by a linebacker.

The Burrowing Birds had two pass plays of more than 40 yards all season. If the offense is working right, they should have at least one for 40 or more each game.

The Voice didn?t mention any promising redshirts, but the returning group is young and there are plenty of them. Hopefully a couple will improve enough that the committee shrinks to a couple high-power weapons. The Voice thinks Bonner, Johnson and Holley have the best chance of that.

Outlook: Good.

Sun Sentinel/Ted Hutton
Back to the top

I agree that the WR needed sometime to mature and hopefully this year helped them turn the corner in their development.

Again work in progress.
Back to the top

I think they should move Harmon to WR. He would be very good possession receiver. Michael Clayton or Keyshawn Johnson style.
Back to the top

footballfan47 said

I think they should move Harmon to WR. He would be very good possession receiver. Michael Clayton or Keyshawn Johnson style.

Ditto…see the last touchdown vs FIU for support on this idea!
Back to the top

What makes that interesting and attracive is Harmon size, something Holley & Simeon do not have.
Back to the top
Control functions: