Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

07' Running Backs - Sun Sentinel/Ted Hutton

The Offense – Running Backs
First congrats to Nello Faulk and Josh Pinnick, the first FAU players to be named Sun Belt First-Teaam All-Conference. And to Jervonte Jackson, Kris Bartels and Taheem Acevedo for second team honors, and Charles Pierre and Cergile Sincere for honorable mention.

The Run Game

FAU net rushing yards per season: 915//572//1,788//1,416//1,259//1,313

Passing yards per season: 1,684//1,602//3,418//2,901//1,956//2,255.

2006 was an improvement over 2005, but the Burrowing Birds have a ways to go to get to those heady days of 2003 and 2004. One thing that has to happen to push those overall numbers up is a running game. If the Burrowing Birds can?t run, defenses can focus on the passing game, and FAU goes nowhere. See the first four games of this season (47 yards rushing vs. Clemson, 59 vs. K-State, 49 vs. OK State, 135 vs. South Carolina, where QB Sean Clayton had 68 of those, 47 on one run).

The run games needs a solid line and a fullback. Which leads us to 2007.

Starter returning: Tailback Charles Pierre (756 yards, 3.7 per carry, 5 TD, 63 yards per game; 6 catches, 51 yards).

Starter lost: Fullback Aaron Sanchez (251 yards, 3.7 per carry, 1 TD, 20.9 per game; 22 catches, 180 yards, 3 TDs)

Backups returning: Willie Floyd (163 yards, 4.0 per carry, 12.9 game); B.J. Manley (137 yards, 4.2 per carry, 2 TD, 15.2 game), Willie Rose (31 yards, 1 TD).

Backups lost: None

Other: Tailback DiIvory Edgecomb (295 yards in 2005) and fullback Dominick Walker (78 yards in 2005) both were academically ineligible this season and should be back in 2007.

The loss of Sanchez can?t be overstated. He was a solid runner, punishing blocker, very good pass catcher, and a team leader. The fullback has to be three of the above to fit into this offense, and being a leader is a bonus.

The Voice has been high on Willie Rose (6-1, 227) for two years now, but Rose is injury-prone and can?t be counted on. Walker (5-11, 203) might help, but when he filled in for Sanchez, who was out all of 2005, Walker proved to be a bit soft and not nearly the player Sanchez was, though he did have 11 catches for 2 TDs. (Those 22 catches Sanchez made this season were important, especially considering three went for TDs if one considers the problems the BBs had scoring in the red zone.)

If Rose is healthy and has a good spring, he should be the guy, and could be a good one. The Voice is optimistic. Kyle Watkins (6-2, 210) was hurt and I think got in one game, and redshirt David Muniz (5-11, 201) will be available. If Walker returns, that is a decent group, though a dropoff from Sanchez.

Pierre will be back, and that is a good thing. While somewhat of an in-betweener, not really a power back nor a scatback, Pierre showed the ability to get to holes quick and squeeze out a few extra yards through sheer effort. He could be trusted not to fumble and also can catch.

Willie Floyd was banged up and didn?t get to show what he has, but The Voice thinks he can be a solid player. Edgecomb is in the mold of Pierre, and getting him back would be a plus. B.J. Manley had a couple nice runs when he got in, though too often went wide and got chased down. He does add depth.

All in all the situation is solid, especially if Rose can overcome the injury bug. Pierre will be tough to unseat, and looks to have plenty of backup. If the offensive line can do its job, the running game should hold its own.

Outlook: Good

Sun Sentinel/Ted Hutton

Back to the top

Looks like there is a lot of depth in the backfield. hopefully Edgecomb comes back strong. He brings a more physical presence to the tailback position and will be a nice change of pace when Pierre needs a breather.

It is a little troubling that the team won't have a true fullback with both fullback size and toughness. I like that Rose has the size. He could be good if he gets to be more physical. He appears to have far more natural size and ability than Sanchez, but Sanchez had great heart and played way bigger than his size. The run game should be interesting next year. GO OWLS!!!

2017 and 2019 Conference USA Champions
Back to the top

I wonder if Howard will consider converting a linebacker to fullback?
Back to the top

Anyone know anything about Linebacker/Running Back Alfred Morris that is being recruited by FAU? Like his size? He was in the Florida 3A State Championship yesterday and plays for Pine Forest Eagles. He rushed for 99 yards on 11 carries. Pine Forest practiced at FAU this week. Here is part of a blog I read from the Pensacola News Journal:

"After practice, the team was led into a room at the practice facility where they received a pep talk from FAU coach Howard Schnellenberger.

Coach Schnellenberger reminded the team "It's a long game. Something bad can happen early in the game, but you can overcome. … You can make the play in the fourth quarter.

After the pep talk, Pine Forest Coach Pollard introduced Alfred Morris to Coach Schnellenberger. "It's really an honor to meet Coach Schnellenberger," said Morris, who is interested in attending Florida Atlantic University. "FAU is number one on my list.""

Here is the full blog:
http://www.pensacolanewsjournal.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061209/NEWS01/312070001/1006
Back to the top

SigEp77 said

I wonder if Howard will consider converting a linebacker to fullback?

Very good point…would think that would be a viable option…its shaky at best how well we will have pas protection and blocking, not to mention receiving ability with whom we have right now…not a knock, but the group of true full-backs are definitley unproven…would like to see something comparable to that of Sanchez's ability…we have some speed at linebacker and also some size…
Back to the top

fauowl said

Anyone know anything about Linebacker/Running Back Alfred Morris that is being recruited by FAU? Like his size?

Great find on this guy fauowl! Good article…Howard's got such a knack for getting publicity, etc…good stuff…

I did locate the school website, but it does not have roster information, only schedules…

I'm awaiting an email response on his size and stats,etc…will post upon reciept…

In the meantime here is a pic of him with other teamates…he is second from left…appears to be about 185lbs…similair build to Pierre:

ERROR: A link was posted here (img) but it appears to be a broken link.

Back to the top

Found that Alfred Morris is 6'0" 225lbs, he has some nice size.

Alfred Morris Link
Back to the top

Great job! That's some size :)

Hard to tell from the pic…but looks strong…
Back to the top

I modified the link that Ingbrdr provided for it to work properly fr those that couldn't get it to work.

Back to the top

Bytor said

I modified the link that Ingbrdr provided for it to work properly fr those that couldn't get it to work.

Bytor please modify the link have of the pic if you want to…it isnt working right i dont think…
Back to the top
Control functions: