Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

FIU UM Keep Game for Next Year

Looks like FIU and UM will be playing again next year afterall. After the brawl everyone said the two teams would never play again. I guess people think that the upcoming coaching changes will make all the difference. Any thoughts??

GO OWLS!!!

2017 and 2019 Conference USA Champions
Back to the top

Terrible idea.

UM has nothing to gain and everything to lose as witnessed this season.

I hope the Canes hang 50+ on them next season.
Back to the top

That is only from a very biased UM perspective. Not from most FIU fans, nor some neutral observers I truly hope we can play and show people the better side of both institutions' athletes, not leave a mark with the embarrasment. I hope FIU plays, just like before the brawl this year, a decent, and competitive game.

FIU wasn't the same after the freaking brawl.
Back to the top

SigEp77 said

Terrible idea.

UM has nothing to gain and everything to lose as witnessed this season.

I hope the Canes hang 50+ on them next season.

SigEpp loves him some Canes and I love his enthusiasm as bias as he may be.

I think it could become a nice little rivalry. Once these types of rivalries are established, the games tend to be fairly close year in and year out despite the disparity in talent. That is what makes for good football.

Anyone know where the game is being played?? Maybe it should be moved to ProPlayer. It would be a great neutral site. On that note, how about this for an idea. Schedule FIU-UM for the same Saturday as FAU-USF. Play both games back to back at ProPlayer. How awesome would that be?? I know it will never happen, but it would be pretty cool. GO OWLS!!!

Back to the top

I think the FIU-UM rivalry will turn into something bigger than the FIU-FAU rivalry. There is a good amount of bad feeling between FIU and UM which only fuels the rivalry. The relationship with FIU and FAU seems to be bordering congenial. I think since we started about the same time, we are sort of cheering each other on.

UF has two "official" rivals. FSU and UGA. The UGA rivalry is much much older than the FSU rivalry since FSU was a womens college till I think the 1950's.

ERROR: A link was posted here (img) but it appears to be a broken link.

Back to the top

faualum said

I think the FIU-UM rivalry will turn into something bigger than the FIU-FAU rivalry. There is a good amount of bad feeling between FIU and UM which only fuels the rivalry. The relationship with FIU and FAU seems to be bordering congenial. I think since we started about the same time, we are sort of cheering each other on.

UF has two "official" rivals. FSU and UGA. The UGA rivalry is much much older than the FSU rivalry since FSU was a womens college till I think the 1950's.

I agree, the FIU-MIAMI rivalry is fueled by bitterness and a real lack of respect. Miami likes to think that they are still top of the food chain (they obviously aren't) and FIU wants to prove that they deserve respect (I am not sure that they do). Both teams dislike each other and this thing is only going to grow.

The FAU-FIU rivalry is different. I think both teams respect each other as both are going through the same growth process. They can clearly relate to one another and I guarantee that FAU would have hd FIU's back in the brawl with Miami. It is also a conference rivalry so in a way it lacks some of the nastiness that characteristic of great out of conference rivalries.

Here are a few of those great out of conference rivalries:
Florida - FSU
Florida - Miami
Georgia - Georgia Tech
FSU - Miami (until very recently this was a non-conf rivalry)
Colorado - Colorado State
Michigan - Notre Dame
USC - Notre Dame

All of them are pretty bitter and they always make for great games. GO OWLS!!!

Back to the top

Are we really talking about FIU v. Miami a rivalry?? Comparing them to Notre Dame v. Michigan, Georgia v. Georgia Tech?? FIU and Miami have only played once...right? Are we going to call FAU vs. UF a rivalry after next season?? I dont get it.

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

walty12 said

Are we really talking about FIU v. Miami a rivalry?? Comparing them to Notre Dame v. Michigan, Georgia v. Georgia Tech?? FIU and Miami have only played once…right? Are we going to call FAU vs. UF a rivalry after next season?? I dont get it.

EXACTLY! Lets move on here…
Back to the top

All I can say is at least FIU's campus is in Miami, unlike the school that uses the name.

President of the No Homers Club. Keepin' it real since 2001.
Back to the top

walty12 said

Are we really talking about FIU v. Miami a rivalry?? Comparing them to Notre Dame v. Michigan, Georgia v. Georgia Tech?? FIU and Miami have only played once…right? Are we going to call FAU vs. UF a rivalry after next season?? I dont get it.

Not saying that it is a rivalry on the same level as Notre Dame - Michigan, I was simply listing great non-conference rivalries to make a point that some of the best rivalries are non-conference. You read into what you wanted. My only point in that post was that FIU and MIAMI are bitter. FAU and FIU are not. Maybe being non-conference opponents has something to do with that.

Yes, I do believe that a rivalry will develop between FIU and MIAMI as long as they continue to play. The bad blood is already there. They are in each others backyards and they do not like each other. Sure, Miami might pound them every year, but that doesn't take away from the spirit of the game.

FAU - FLORIDA will not become a rivalry, I never said it would. FLORIDA will win by 35+ points, FAU will take the paycheck and limp back to Boca. Very different from what happened in the Orange Bowl between FIU and MIAMI. GO OWLS!!!

Back to the top
Control functions: